+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proving that marriage/relationship is genuine

Xylnaeri

Star Member
Aug 26, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I was wondering how to prove that a marriage is genuine, other than the most basic things.

My partner will not have met my family physically, only through skype, simply because he works and he wouldnt have time to travel that far.
My family wouldnt be at the wedding, because they dont have the money to travel, but would that affect our application in any way?

And what if you get married soon after the engagement, will that affect the application?

Because I could understand how that would look like an easy way to just immigrate, but it wouldn't be that, it would be because we want to be togehter, but I don't know if they would care about that.

And how many text messages, skype logs would they want? Because most of our skype logs are just us calling eachother for hours at a time, and sending video links, not much talking, but I dont know how much I should copy and print out?
I have screenshots of messages that mean a lot to me, like sweet things he told me or just things I like to read again, would that be good proof?

prezdork

Star Member
Oct 19, 2016
I was in the same situation.

I got married after 2 days after engagement. The engagement was just a formality and something my husband wanted to do for me. And I haven't met his parents either.

You just write an explanation on why you didn't meet his parents and a detailed explanation why your family is unable to attend you wedding. It's also good to have them write a letter on your behalf saying that they do approve of the wedding but is unable to attend due to financial issues, etc.

Pictures from the wedding is your best bet. I chose photos where you can clearly see that there are many guests, the official ceremony and where it was at etc. Then photos of your activities together/trips.

The dates wouldn't really affect it as long as you provide sufficient proof that your relationship has been ongoing. The photos you choose to submit should be of "quality". They can determine if your relationship was true or not. People elope nowadays too so anyone can get married at anytime lol

Xylnaeri

Star Member
Aug 26, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
prezdork said:
I was in the same situation.

I got married after 2 days after engagement. The engagement was just a formality and something my husband wanted to do for me. And I haven't met his parents either.

You just write an explanation on why you didn't meet his parents and a detailed explanation why your family is unable to attend you wedding. It's also good to have them write a letter on your behalf saying that they do approve of the wedding but is unable to attend due to financial issues, etc.

Pictures from the wedding is your best bet. I chose photos where you can clearly see that there are many guests, the official ceremony and where it was at etc. Then photos of your activities together/trips.

The dates wouldn't really affect it as long as you provide sufficient proof that your relationship has been ongoing. The photos you choose to submit should be of "quality". They can determine if your relationship was true or not. People elope nowadays too so anyone can get married at anytime lol
I have met his family! I'm very close with his mother, he just hasn't met my family yet!

But yea, we do have pictures of us from this christmas, and last summer when we went hiking and such, I thought that would be good to add?
And then of course skype calls, text messages, and such.

We won't have a big wedding, it wouldn't be in a church, it would more be like a bigger dinner for most of his family, just so we can celebrate us, since neither of us want to do anything big
We don't really want to go on a honeymoon either, again because both of us prefer just relaxing at home spending time together.

mvm

Dec 26, 2016
Hi There

I am hoping to get some help.

I have applied through the family class with my husband as the sponsor.

We got married in December but we didn't invite friends or family.

Our families are religious and want a church wedding, neither my husband or I want to get married in a church or have a religious wedding.
Also we want both parents to be at our celebration so we are planning a party in 2018 to celebrate and have my family from the UK visit.

We haven't told our families we got married, we have only advised a few of my friends who live in the UK or Australia and wouldn't be able to make the trip for financial reasons/personal reasons when we do decide to celebrate the nuptials.

My husband has also only met my family through Skype/facetime chats. we will be heading to Scotland in May for my brothers wedding where he will meet my family and friends.

We don't have pictures from the wedding or an engagement ring, we decided to spend the money on a vacation to mexico.

I have attached the following as proof of our relationship

pictures from vacations, family meals, Christmas, birthdays and friends
Drivers licences showing we live together at the same address
Car insurance showing both as names drivers on the policy
Our Telus Mobility bill showing both names on the bill/account we have a share plan.
Group conversations from Facebook
Extract from Facebook showing us tagged in events together/posting pictures together with friends
We have sent in christmas cards and birthday cardfrom friends and family addresses to both of us.
Also mail being sent to address for both my husband and I

do you think this is sufficient or do you think IRCC will flag us for more information because we decided to elope and get married for us and not our families?

thanks

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
mvm said:
do you think this is sufficient or do you think IRCC will flag us for more information because we decided to elope and get married for us and not our families?

thanks
hi,
unfortunately, it's impossible for anyone to say how the visa officer will interpret your application. at this point, your application has been submitted with the best proof you had at the time and there's nothing more that can be done unless it's specifically requested from IRCC. while it's difficult to not have control over the situation, one of the best ways to get through the uncertainty is to NOT analyze your application to death. if IRCC requires more information, they will ask for it. your application can not be rejected without being given a chance to clear their concerns.

prezdork

Star Member
Oct 19, 2016
Xylnaeri said:
I have met his family! I'm very close with his mother, he just hasn't met my family yet!

But yea, we do have pictures of us from this christmas, and last summer when we went hiking and such, I thought that would be good to add?
And then of course skype calls, text messages, and such.

We won't have a big wedding, it wouldn't be in a church, it would more be like a bigger dinner for most of his family, just so we can celebrate us, since neither of us want to do anything big
We don't really want to go on a honeymoon either, again because both of us prefer just relaxing at home spending time together.
Photos from any occasion and/or trip will be good to add!

That is completely fine for the wedding part. As long as there are photos showing proof you are celebrating your marriage (because they would want to look at who/how many people know about this marriage).

We didn't go on a honeymoon either-- we just explained that it is not ideal for us at the moment due to financial restriction.

dlre

Star Member
Aug 30, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Get letters from your family members (both yours and his) stating that they know of your relationship.

jeff198901

Champion Member
May 7, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
AOR Received.
18-04-2017
dlre said:
Get letters from your family members (both yours and his) stating that they know of your relationship.
Would these letters need to be notarized or anything?

Xylnaeri

Star Member
Aug 26, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
abrakadabra said:
We notarized the letters just to be safe, it cost us only 50$ in lawyer fee
What does it mean to get them notarized?

Xylnaeri

Star Member
Aug 26, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
prezdork said:
Photos from any occasion and/or trip will be good to add!

That is completely fine for the wedding part. As long as there are photos showing proof you are celebrating your marriage (because they would want to look at who/how many people know about this marriage).

We didn't go on a honeymoon either-- we just explained that it is not ideal for us at the moment due to financial restriction.
I thought about getting letters from my family and add them too, showing they know about it
I dont know how many people would be at the wedding, but it wouldn't be a huge party, but I'm just nervous abotu them not thinking our relationship is genuine

what about like a facebook post, showing a picture of us getting married, and then comments from my family?
like them congratulating us, and then I could add who is who, and how they are related to me?

What are big red flags for them? something I can keep in mind when we apply?

jeff198901

Champion Member
May 7, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
AOR Received.
18-04-2017
This doesn't apply to OP by, if you have pics with inawls, is having them write a letter necessary?

abrakadabra

Oct 21, 2016
Xylnaeri said:
What does it mean to get them notarized?
That means that all people who wrote those letters go to a lawyer and he checked their identities and writes on the letters that they express their personal opinion and vouch that this opinion is not influenced by anyone, and that the identity of the people is true.

Xylnaeri

Star Member
Aug 26, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
abrakadabra said:
That means that all people who wrote those letters go to a lawyer and he checked their identities and writes on the letters that they express their personal opinion and vouch that this opinion is not influenced by anyone, and that the identity of the people is true.
since my family is in denmark itd be hard to get any letter notarized because they'd be well.. in denmark

trikiliki

Star Member
Dec 1, 2016
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
PARIS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23/08/2016
AOR Received.
22/09/2016
File Transfer...
22/09/2016
Med's Done....
PASSED UPFRONT
Interview........
RECOMMENDED
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Xylnaeri said:
since my family is in denmark itd be hard to get any letter notarized because they'd be well.. in denmark
They can go themselves to a notary in Denmark with their letter, have it notarized and mail it to you. It's worth doing if you don't have a lot of other proof and if no one from your family was able to attend your wedding.