+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proving relationship with spouse

Armenak

Star Member
Oct 9, 2013
Hi.
I got married recently and informed VO about this. After this I got an update request letter, which also includes "proof of relationship".
I am a bit afraid of this, as my proves might seem insufficient.
I must send the update within 30 days from the letter.

They say I need to provide:
documents proving that the relationship between you and your spouse is genuine.
> wedding photographs,
> evidence of cohabitation,
> joint bank accounts and assets,
> and any other document proving the genuineness of your relationship.

I didn't have a big wedding, so no wedding photos are not available (though I have photos from the civil registry document signing), but we are together for more than 2 years, and we have many photos together during this period, I think about sending them photos showing us together since 2015 till now.

Nor me, neither my wife leave at the addresses where we are registered. The house where we leave belongs to my grandmother and all the documents are on her name.
We also don't have yet a joint bank account, though I can arrange it.

I also think that following documents might help:

- letters from our parents and friends where they confirm our relationship.
- evidence of shared purchases.
- cellphone call log sheet, showing everyday long duration calls between us.

Do you think my proves will be sufficient enough?
Whoever has any experience about proving the relationship, your advise is highly appreciated.

johnson.i2000

Apr 20, 2013
Chennai
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14 May 2014
Nomination.....
PER on Sept 4, 2014
File Transfer...
complete by Gods grace
Med's Request
09 Oct 2014
Med's Done....
01 Nov 2014
Passport Req..
Mar 10, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
April 06, 2015
LANDED..........
July 9, 2015
where is the marriage certificate?

that one document would suffice

Armenak said:
Hi.
I got married recently and informed VO about this. After this I got an update request letter, which also includes "proof of relationship".
I am a bit afraid of this, as my proves might seem insufficient.
I must send the update within 30 days from the letter.

They say I need to provide:
documents proving that the relationship between you and your spouse is genuine.
> wedding photographs,
> evidence of cohabitation,
> joint bank accounts and assets,
> and any other document proving the genuineness of your relationship.

I didn't have a big wedding, so no wedding photos are not available (though I have photos from the civil registry document signing), but we are together for more than 2 years, and we have many photos together during this period, I think about sending them photos showing us together since 2015 till now.

Nor me, neither my wife leave at the addresses where we are registered. The house where we leave belongs to my grandmother and all the documents are on her name.
We also don't have yet a joint bank account, though I can arrange it.

I also think that following documents might help:

- letters from our parents and friends where they confirm our relationship.
- evidence of shared purchases.
- cellphone call log sheet, showing everyday long duration calls between us.

Do you think my proves will be sufficient enough?
Whoever has any experience about proving the relationship, your advise is highly appreciated.

Armenak

Star Member
Oct 9, 2013
Yes, sure we have a marriage certificate. :)
My concern is that I cannot prove we leave together.
In fact she married me and moved to my place only a few days back :)

arika

Sep 3, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07/10/2014
Nomination.....
14/01/2015
AOR Received.
26/02/2015
Hey Armenak, hope you are well.

Could you please clarify if you've already provided your marriage certificate to WVO or you've got their request as a response to your CSE only?

As I agree with johnson.i2000 that marriage cetrificate is the most official statement in itself and must certainly suffice. Asking for additional proofs of relationship at the top of it looks a bit odd.

My assumption is that (given that they WVO responded to your CSE only) you've recieved some sort of a template mail which is not completely relevant to your case and WVO is very likely to be satisfied with your marriage certificate alone.

Armenak

Star Member
Oct 9, 2013
Hey Arika.
I have only informed WVO that I got married and requested to provide me the list of documents to be submitted in order to include my wife into my application. I didn't send them the marriage certificate yet.
They have responded me with an email, mentioning necessary documents and forms to be provided. Proving of genuine relationship is also mentioned in their list.
I do hope, that after I will provide the marriage certificate they will be satisfied, but since they request for proving documents I must collect everything possible. What if this make sense...

Here is the full email from WVO:

Dear Applicant,
In order to allow us to continue your application you are requested to submit the following items as soon as possible:
-- a certified copy of your spouse's birth certificate along with its translation into English or French by a sworn translator;
-- a certified copy of your marriage certificate along with its translation into English or French by a sworn translator;
-- 4 recent photos (35 mm x 45 mm, white background) for your spouse (for Photo Specification please consult http://www.cic.gc.ca/ENGLISH/pdf/kits/guides/3910e.pdf Appendix B);
-- Specify height and eye colour for your spouse;
-- pay the processing fee for your spouse in the amount of $550CDN (see Fee Schedule available at
http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/poland-pologne/visas/fees-frais.aspx?lang=eng
-- pay of the Right of Permanent Residence Fee - $490CAD - for your spouse. (see Fee Schedule available at
http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/poland-pologne/visas/fees-frais.aspx?lang=eng
-- copies of all pages of the spouse's passport;
-- updated Schedule A form for your spouse; -- updated Additional Family Information form for your spouse; -- updated Supplementary forms for your spouse and Your Travels form (IMM5562) for your spouse. Appropriate forms are available at the following website address:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/skilled.asp
-- original and updated police certificates (along with their certified English or French translations) from all countries in which your spouse resided for 6 months and over since age 18. Additional information can be found at:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/index.asp
- documents proving that the relationship between you and your spouse is genuine. Please submit your wedding photographs, evidence of cohabitation, joint bank accounts and assets and any other document proving the genuineness of your relationship.
Please note that upon receipt of the items indicated above medical forms will be issued for your spouse.
Please comply with the above request within 30 days from the date of this letter. At the end of the 30-day period we shall review your application and make a decision on the basis of the information available. We are unable to determine that you meet the requirements of the Skilled Worker program without these documents.

Mar 18, 2015
Hi everybody, I came accross your conversation, this is actually what I was searching for.

I have applied to Federal skilled Worker program in November 2014 and have already received AOR. Now my application is in investigaion process. By the time I applied, I had a divorced status and was the principal applicant with a dependent child under 18. The issue is I got married (religious marriage) in October but didn't include my spouce in the application for some financial reasons-). At the moment I am pregnant and the baby will be born in July. Actually, we are going to get married with the father of my baby at Civil Registry Office this month.

From Armenak's message I already got the list of documents I have to send to the VO, for which I am grateful Armenak!!)

Does anybody know wheter I need to inform Visa Office about the upcomming birth of my baby. If yes, is tere a special form to be submitted for that or a letter from my doctor or just from me is enough?

Also advise me please how to inform the VO about the changes before sending all necessary documents?

Thanks in advance!

emiiuki

Dec 14, 2012
Novi Sad
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08/07/2014
Nomination.....
PER: 03.11.2014.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
johnson.i2000 said:
where is the marriage certificate?

that one document would suffice
They are not asking for marriage certificate (as I realized he's already sent it) but for proof of relationship, that is, they are asking him to proove that he didn't get married just to provide someone with a canadian visa (probably for money).

@Armenak - I think that you should send everything you can get but phone bills are not prooving anything (I spend hours on the phone with my friends), letters from your parents too (my parents would write anything for my wellbeing). If you don't have wedding photos, you must have some other photos during those two years - vacations, celebrations that can proove you had a physical relationship. Passport stamps if you travelled together, etc.

Armenak

Star Member
Oct 9, 2013
MariAnna Yerevan said:
Hi everybody, I came accross your conversation, this is actually what I was searching for.

I have applied to Federal skilled Worker program in November 2014 and have already received AOR. Now my application is in investigaion process. By the time I applied, I had a divorced status and was the principal applicant with a dependent child under 18. The issue is I got married (religious marriage) in October but didn't include my spouce in the application for some financial reasons-). At the moment I am pregnant and the baby will be born in July. Actually, we are going to get married with the father of my baby at Civil Registry Office this month.

From Armenak's message I already got the list of documents I have to send to the VO, for which I am grateful Armenak!!)

Does anybody know wheter I need to inform Visa Office about the upcomming birth of my baby. If yes, is tere a special form to be submitted for that or a letter from my doctor or just from me is enough?

Also advise me please how to inform the VO about the changes before sending all necessary documents?

Thanks in advance!
Hi MariAnna. In your case I recommend you to inform VO via email about your relationship with your future spouse and about your pregnancy. Don't be late with this. Not informing VO about your spouse in time might bring some troubles in future. There is no particular form for this. Just reply to the AOR letter from VO, mention your application number an inform them that you have a common law partner and will have a baby soon. VO will let you know what to do.

Armenak

Star Member
Oct 9, 2013
emiiuki said:
They are not asking for marriage certificate (as I realized he's already sent it) but for proof of relationship, that is, they are asking him to proove that he didn't get married just to provide someone with a canadian visa (probably for money).

@ Armenak - I think that you should send everything you can get but phone bills are not prooving anything (I spend hours on the phone with my friends), letters from your parents too (my parents would write anything for my wellbeing). If you don't have wedding photos, you must have some other photos during those two years - vacations, celebrations that can proove you had a physical relationship. Passport stamps if you travelled together, etc.
Hi emiiuki.
I didn't yet send them the marriage certificate. I will send it together with "relationship proving documents". Yes I have many photos with my wife made in different locations inside my country (no abroad trip together). I will definitely send these photos to VO.

Mar 18, 2015
Dear Armenak,
Thanks for information. I willl let them know ASAP. I received AOR on March 10, isn't it late to inform them about my pregnancy? Besides I would like to know what is the Case Specific Enquiry form for if they accept information about changes via e-mail? If you can help me with the answer I will be too grateful.

Mar 18, 2015
Dear Armenak,
Thanks for information. I willl let them know ASAP. I received AOR on March 10, isn't it late to inform them about my pregnancy? Besides I would like to know what is the Case Specific Enquiry form for if they accept information about changes via e-mail? If you can help me with the answer I will be too grateful.

Armenak

Star Member
Oct 9, 2013
MariAnna jan,

I can only share my experience. Just like you I had doubts about how and when to inform VO.
I did following way:
When I got medical and document update request, sending them these docs I also wrote in the letter that my marriage is coming soon. Also I promised to inform them via email immediately after the marriage.
Then I sent an email after I got married to following two addresses: (I was not sure which one to select, so I kept both)
WSAWIMMIGRATION @ international.gc.ca, warsaw-im-enquiry @ international.gc.ca
And after a few days they sent me the email which you have already seen in my post.

I don't think you are late with informing VO about your pregnancy, in the AOR letter they mention that they want to know about:
"Change in family composition including new born, divorce, marriage etc"
You don't have a baby yet, so you are OK about it, but you definitely have a common law partner (as soon as your marriage is not registered yet), and abut him you must inform them ASAP, also right at the same time that you will have a baby soon. It is better to provide more information, than less.

I will drop you my contacts in a personal message. You can keep in contact with me, I am also in Yerevan.

Armenak

Star Member
Oct 9, 2013
Coming back to my issue of proving genuine relationship with my spouse.
Here is what I found possible to add:
- reference from a regional authorized officer stating that we both leave at the same address.
- reference from the regional clinic stating that we both are registered there.
- reference from our gynecologist stating that we are consulting with her about our family planning.

I guess these docs are peaty heavy for proving our cohabitation. Don't you think so?

siamu

Star Member
Apr 29, 2014
arika said:
Hey Armenak, hope you are well.

Could you please clarify if you've already provided your marriage certificate to WVO or you've got their request as a response to your CSE only?

As I agree with johnson.i2000 that marriage cetrificate is the most official statement in itself and must certainly suffice. Asking for additional proofs of relationship at the top of it looks a bit odd.

My assumption is that (given that they WVO responded to your CSE only) you've recieved some sort of a template mail which is not completely relevant to your case and WVO is very likely to be satisfied with your marriage certificate alone.
This is bad advice. There's NEVER any template mail. All mails are always tailored to your specific case. If they are asking for further evidence, they DEFINITELY need more evidence than just a marriage certificate.

siamu

Star Member
Apr 29, 2014
If you have any facebook accounts that somehow show (using older messages) that you two are married, that'd be great.