+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

proving physical presence while unemployed

amazigh-agnostic

Star Member
Nov 6, 2020
Hello everyone i am a little bit stressed recently as i came across articles that talk about RQ Presence . To be honest i have never worked during my eligibility period which starts beginning 2017 until 2021 however i have been going to schools for some months . also i made a few visits to different hospitals . I hold a passport which expired in 2019 , which i never renewed as i have no ties with my country also i never needed it as i had no plans to traveling anywhere.
By the way i filed taxes for 2017 , 2018 , 2019 . I Have moved a lot so i dont have rental agreements that covers full eligibility period . Actually i have debit , credit cards ,since 2018 with almost daily transactions, phone bills since 2019 Can someone share tips about my case as i am really stressed because ive read that only the passport which shows a strong evidence regarding the physical presence .
Thank you guys

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hello everyone i am a little bit stressed recently as i came across articles that talk about RQ Presence . To be honest i have never worked during my eligibility period which starts beginning 2017 until 2021 however i have been going to schools for some months . also i made a few visits to different hospitals . I hold a passport which expired in 2019 , which i never renewed as i have no ties with my country also i never needed it as i had no plans to traveling anywhere.
By the way i filed taxes for 2017 , 2018 , 2019 . I Have moved a lot so i dont have rental agreements that covers full eligibility period . Actually i have debit , credit cards ,since 2018 with almost daily transactions, phone bills since 2019 Can someone share tips about my case as i am really stressed because ive read that only the passport which shows a strong evidence regarding the physical presence .
Thank you guys
1. Having an expired passport will raise some questions as to why you did not renew it. You can simply tell them what you told us - You have no ties to your country and you never planned on traveling so you never bothered to renew your passport. Moreover, IRCC can also directly pull your Entry records (up until June 24 2020) and Entry / Exit records (from June 25 2020). So, from the data in that report, they will be able to find out if you have been anywhere outside Canada.

2. Your tax returns can be accessed by IRCC from CRA. So, this would somewhat prove you were a resident here for tax purposes.

3. The Physical presence RQ can be a pain in the rear asking for too many documents that demonstrate physical presence. The best you could do is to gather evidence of your presence in Canada
  • You will certainly be asked for rental agreements, rent slips or mortgage documents if you get this request. Try and get letters from your current and previous land lords stating the periods of stay in the property. Provide all the rent slips you have.
  • Get a Personal Health Claims summary from the health department of all provinces you've lived in for the entirety of your eligibility period. This will detail the list of all medical services you availed in that province
  • If you went to school, make sure you have all the transcripts ready to be submitted if asked.
  • You will also be asked to submit all pages of your passports should you receive this request.
  • You will certainly be asked to show records of employment or paystubs for all jobs you held. Since you never worked in Canada, you should be able to explain to them your situation and provide any necessary details/evidence for your claims.
  • Having been unemployed for the entirety of your eligibility period, IMO, will raise some red flags - so be prepared to explain what you were doing instead.
  • In your case, if you get an interview, you can demonstrate your physical presence by providing utility bills, credit card statements and any (and all) other documents as evidence.
Good luck!

amazigh-agnostic

Star Member
Nov 6, 2020
1. Having an expired passport will raise some questions as to why you did not renew it. You can simply tell them what you told us - You have no ties to your country and you never planned on traveling so you never bothered to renew your passport. Moreover, IRCC can also directly pull your Entry records (up until June 24 2020) and Entry / Exit records (from June 25 2020). So, from the data in that report, they will be able to find out if you have been anywhere outside Canada.

2. Your tax returns can be accessed by IRCC from CRA. So, this would somewhat prove you were a resident here for tax purposes.

3. The Physical presence RQ can be a pain in the rear asking for too many documents that demonstrate physical presence. The best you could do is to gather evidence of your presence in Canada
  • You will certainly be asked for rental agreements, rent slips or mortgage documents if you get this request. Try and get letters from your current and previous land lords stating the periods of stay in the property. Provide all the rent slips you have.
  • Get a Personal Health Claims summary from the health department of all provinces you've lived in for the entirety of your eligibility period. This will detail the list of all medical services you availed in that province
  • If you went to school, make sure you have all the transcripts ready to be submitted if asked.
  • You will also be asked to submit all pages of your passports should you receive this request.
  • You will certainly be asked to show records of employment or paystubs for all jobs you held. Since you never worked in Canada, you should be able to explain to them your situation and provide any necessary details/evidence for your claims.
  • Having been unemployed for the entirety of your eligibility period, IMO, will raise some red flags - so be prepared to explain what you were doing instead.
  • In your case, if you get an interview, you can demonstrate your physical presence by providing utility bills, credit card statements and any (and all) other documents as evidence.
Good luck!
Very detailed article I'd like to thank you from the bottom of my heart. Thank you so much

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram