+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proving Permanent Residency While Abroad

buffalo99

Mar 22, 2008
Hi all,

I’m new to this forum. I have a question regarding PR residency obligations.

I am a Canadian citizen and my husband is a US citizen. My husband just got this PR card, and I am a US green card holder. Our initial plan was to move to Canada after he gets his PR, but circumstance regarding his parents and familial obligations in the US are forcing us to stay south of the border.

I understand that a PR holder can contribute and fulfill the 730 day residency obligation even if he/she is out of the country so long as they are accompanied by a Canadian Citizen (spouse), right? (Please correct me if I am wrong)

We don’t know how long we will be staying in the US, but will this condition allow my husband to retain his PR card and fulfill his residency obligations?

If so, how do we go about proving residency in such a case? Please advise, thanks!

Cheers

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

buffalo99 said:
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum. I have a question regarding PR residency obligations.

I am a Canadian citizen and my husband is a US citizen. My husband just got this PR card, and I am a US green card holder. Our initial plan was to move to Canada after he gets his PR, but circumstance regarding his parents and familial obligations in the US are forcing us to stay south of the border.

I understand that a PR holder can contribute and fulfill the 730 day residency obligation even if he/she is out of the country so long as they are accompanied by a Canadian Citizen (spouse), right? (Please correct me if I am wrong)

We don't know how long we will be staying in the US, but will this condition allow my husband to retain his PR card and fulfill his residency obligations?

If so, how do we go about proving residency in such a case? Please advise, thanks!

Cheers
When you return he just has to prove that he was accompanying a citizen spouse.

PMM