+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proving Dual intent when you are moving household goods

Sortofcandian

Jun 17, 2018
I am a dual US/Canadian citizen (with a CA passport) because my mother was born in Canada, but I was born in the US and have never lived in Canada. My American husband and I decided to move to Canada with our two US-born children. The kids don’t qualify for automatic citizenship (that only applies for one generation) so we applied Outland for family class PR. We are about 6 months into that process, I have been approved as sponsor, medical and background check ha e been submitted. Our plan is to move to Canada this summer under dual intent. We have a 6 month rental in Canada and we were told to get student visas for our school-aged kids at the border. Husband will be a visitor. We can prove both enough money to live on and income from US-based jobs that we will continue to work remotely. Here’s my concern about the border crossing: we are driving across but there is a moving van of our stuff (in my name) coming a week across a week later, and have the manifest we are supposed to present at the border showing our follow-on goods. From a customs perspective, I need to declare myself as a Canadian citizen establishing residence in Canada, but from an immigration perspective, we need to prove that my husband and kids (and therefore all of us) would leave in 6 months if the PR hasn’t come through yet. Is any immigration officer going to believe that, or does the shipment of household goods completely mess us up?