+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proving Canadian Citizenship w/o Mother's Birth Certificate?

dtftl

Dec 8, 2019
My mother passed away on December 1st, 2016. She was born in Sudbury, ON and I never got her birth certificate from her possessions. I'm interested in moving to Canada, and wanted to know what else I can do to move forward? Is there a way to get a copy of her birth certificate immediately? Do I have another way of proving her citizenship? Please help me with whatever information you can.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

My mother passed away on December 1st, 2016. She was born in Sudbury, ON and I never got her birth certificate from her possessions. I'm interested in moving to Canada, and wanted to know what else I can do to move forward? Is there a way to get a copy of her birth certificate immediately? Do I have another way of proving her citizenship? Please help me with whatever information you can.
1. The instructions are here:https://www.ontario.ca/page/get-or-replace-ontario-birth-certificate#section-6
2. About 15 days processing.
3. Once you have her birth certificate, you would need your long form birth certificate and then apply for proof of citizenship, about 6 months.

Reactions: dtftl

dtftl

Dec 8, 2019
I've tried this, however it asks for far more information than I have, such as my mom's weight at her birth, her parents address at the time she was born. This is not information I have, nor could possibly get a hold of. I do have my birth certificate with her name on it as well as her death certificate.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
How about passport? Anything that need to have Canadian citizenship to begin with?

dtftl

Dec 8, 2019
How about passport? Anything that need to have Canadian citizenship to begin with?
I have her death certificate which has her place of birth as Sudbury, Ontario. Other than that, no. The rest of her side of the family does not speak to me, so I’m trying to find anything I can to obtain my citizenship.