+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Provincial Nominee: Must I stay with Employer?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
boshu said:
Also I am 100% eligible for EI even though I am temporary worker. I am eligible because I have worked and paid EI premiums for over 600 hours.
I visited the Service Canada office and consulted with the officials there. So no worries
If you are getting EI and you are on a closed work permit, you are very lucky. Many people have been denied based on that they are unable to take another job because their work permit is tied to their employer. Some people have even tried to appeal this and still been denied.

Ruben2009

Mar 5, 2009
hi there!

I got the Passport Request Letter. Am I still in risk not to get the PR VISA if i'll get laid off now? please advise, thanks so much

Ruben

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's very unlikely that they will have time to find out that you got laid off and stop your application now but you are not 100% safe until you land as a PR so wait for your passport and then go and do your landing as soon as you can.

F

feras80

Hello Leon,
Does Alberta require to stay with the employer after getting the nominee letter too?
Thank you
Leon said:
I know in BC and AB, if you are no longer working for that employer, your PNP gets cancelled and you must apply again with a new employer. I don't know if they do that in NS. They may not care. Can your employer put you on temporary layoff instead of permanent?

On temporary layoff you may also be able to get EI benefits. Normally temporary workers can not get EI but I know a case of a company where they got it because they were listed on temporary layoff.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, if you actually read my reply that you just quoted, you can see that I said: "I know in BC and AB .."

F

feras80

okey
but i've heard that lots of people got laid off and will apply from outside USA using the nominee letter from Alberta. I'm getting confused tho.
Leon said:
Yes, if you actually read my reply that you just quoted, you can see that I said: "I know in BC and AB .."

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This thread is not about the H1B program. It is about temporary workers in Canada who are nominated by their Canadian employers. Do not confuse the two.