+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Provincial Nominee - flagpoling / getting a work permit with BC-PNP support letter?

georgiahj

Aug 23, 2019
Hello,

Hoping to gain some clarity on this unusual situation. I received a BC Provincial Nomination on March 25, 2020, including a work permit support letter. Obviously the Canada-US border has been closed since a few days prior to that so I haven't been able to flagpole to get my work permit. I applied for PR at the start of May via Express Entry. Now that there has been some changes to make the border more open to certain temporary document holders, I'm wondering if I can get a work permit (employer-specific, with a valid job offer approved by BC PNP)?

Looking at IRCC's information on work permits, I'm uncertain as to whether I am eligible to leave Canada and return to get the work permit, whether that is leaving to the US and coming back to Canada, or returning to my country of origin (UK) and then coming back to Canada (either directly or via the US). I haven't seen anything about provincial nominees in IRCC's announcements / guidance on work permits, and there is nothing about the options available for nominees regarding getting a work permit on BC-PNP's website, or in their new addendum...

According to the link below, there are some scenarios that allow temporary workers to enter Canada and apply for a work permit: "Foreign nationals entering from the United States may be allowed to apply for a work permit upon entry [R198(1)] if they meet the requirements under Order in Council 2020-0442." But, I have a work permit support letter, rather than "a letter of introduction from IRCC". I wonder if the final bullet point on the section I have copied into the bottom of this post (bold and italicized) is applicable to my situation? Or if anyone has any other experience or ideas for this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I just want to be able to work again and have access to provincial healthcare, but I'm very anxious that if I leave I won't be able to return to Canada.

Additional info in case it is relevant: I have an 'immediate family member' for the purpose of reunification as my fiancé / common-law partner is a Canadian citizen. I'm currently here with visitor status (expired in May but I applied for an extension).

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/temporary-residence/work-permit.html#toc1

Determining whether entry of temporary workers will be for a discretionary or optional purpose
Example scenarios
The following are scenarios regarding foreign nationals who hold a valid work permit or received a letter of introduction from IRCC on their work permit application and are seeking entry at a Canadian POE.

Non-optional or non-discretionary travel for a temporary worker may include

• A foreign national has a valid work permit and ordinarily resides in Canada. Whether the foreign national’s employment still exists or if they are currently laid off is not determinative in this case. What is determinative is that the foreign national’s primary residence is in Canada (suggesting their travel is not optional).
  • A foreign national has a letter of introduction for an open work permit, holds a valid job offer and will be able to work once they enter Canada.
  • A foreign national has a letter of introduction for an employer-specific work permit, holds a valid job offer and will be able to work once they enter Canada.

Aladin111

Jul 17, 2020
Sorry I could not help your with your question. But I am wondering would that be okay to apply and get PCP nomination in the USA?

georgiahj

Aug 23, 2019
Does anyone have any knowledge or advice regarding work permits for provincial nominees at this time?!

georgiahj

Aug 23, 2019
I don’t understand why are you trying to go from A to B through Z? Just apply online without going anywhere.
My immigration consultant said that IRCC had told the designated representatives on a call in April that there is no way for provincial nominees in Canada to be issued with a work permit (even if approved online) without going to the border. Is this no longer the case?

Canada_traderman

Mar 14, 2020
Toronto, ON
My immigration consultant said that IRCC had told the designated representatives on a call in April that there is no way for provincial nominees in Canada to be issued with a work permit (even if approved online) without going to the border. Is this no longer the case?
I think you need to change you “representative” or at least get a consultation somewhere else.