21-9-2009
AOR Received.
04-12-2009
File Transfer...
26-03-2010
Med's Request
06-04-2010
Dear friend,

We are expecting a baby in June and want to have delivery in Canada. Well, we entered to Canada last year, registered everythign except Health insurance program and came back to our living country. We want to go back to Canada permanently and have delivery under Provincial health insurance program.
Are there any provinces which donot have 3 months staying limit for provincial health insurance program?

Thanks for the help!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As far as I know, there are only 4 provinces that have a waiting period. Those are Ontario, BC, NB and Quebec. Quebec has an exemption for pregnancy and delivery related expenses.

Before you move to some province, also check with their health care to make sure there is no waiting period. I know for sure that Alberta doesn't have one.

Also make sure you live in this province for a minimum of 6 months. The reason is that most provinces state that you must live in the province for 6 months a year or longer in order to qualify for their health care. If you just come to have your baby and then leave, they could conclude that you were never eligible for their health care in the first place and must re-pay them.

kim2011

Mar 23, 2011
Dear Leon

i checked the alberta health insurance website, and came to the conclusion that, they have three scenerios as below;

First, new immigrants coming directly to Alberta, this means their POE is anywhere in Alberta, coverage starts immediately.

Second, for example Ontario resident (who has already Ontario Health Coverage) move to Alberta, his or her coverage will start from the beginning of third month, like establish residence in Alberta on April 15, coverage will start from July 1.

Third, new immigrant (whose POE is Ontario and did not apply for Ontario health coverage) move to Albeta, health coverage will start after 90 days, same as Ontario.

Thanks

gaizin

Star Member
Oct 7, 2009
Tokyo
Category........
Visa Office......
Tokyo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-9-2009
AOR Received.
04-12-2009
File Transfer...
26-03-2010
Med's Request
06-04-2010
Dear Leon and Kim2011,
Thank you for your feedback.
As Kim2011 pointed out, the rules states that:

The effective date of your coverage will be determined based on the following:
•If you move to Alberta from within Canada your coverage begins the first day of the third month following the date you establish permanent residency here;
•For example, if you establish permanent residency in Alberta on July 12, your coverage is effective October 1.

Mr. Qorax intreprted above creteria as:
((link http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/temp-health-insurance-cover-why-should-u-have-one-t39920.60.html)

-If u move from one province to another, the previous province's healthcare stands valid for 2 months in the new province.
-However, since u do not have the OHIP yet, u could be treated as a new settler in AB.
-Just don't mention that u r in AB 'only' for the h/benefits for a short-term & shall move out after ur treatment is taken care-of.
-That'd account for misuse, which could land u in trouble later [u might have to repay them].

What you guys have to say especially about sexond intrepretion ? Should I really treated as new settler in AB? Should I move to Alberta or I have to research more about this intrepretation?

Regards,
Gaizin

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In AB, there is moving from another province (3 month wait) and there is moving from outside Canada (no wait).

If an immigrant landed and proceeded to settle in ON but after 2 months and 29 days, before getting OHIP, he changes his mind about ON and moves to AB instead, his move may be treated like a move from another province and he might have to wait a further 2 months plus balance of the third before getting AB health.

If the same immigrant had landed in ON, spent a couple of weeks there and then had gone back to homeland to finish off work contracts, sell property etc., then came back a year later and this time decided to move to AB, he would be treated like a move from overseas because he never actually settled in ON and he is not moving from ON to AB. I have had this verified by AB health as people were arguing about this exact scenario on this forum where a person was in that exact situation and some people insisted that their move would be treated as a move from ON and they would have a waiting time in AB. I actually phoned AB health to find out if that was true and they said no, if they never settled in ON, only landed there, spent a couple of weeks and then went back to homeland, their move would be treated as an overseas move and they would get instant health care in AB. If you are not sure, phone AB health yourself and verify that with your scenario. You can find their contact info here: http://www.health.alberta.ca/contact.html