+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Provinces that seek IT freelancers?

Champlain

Apr 22, 2015
Hello All,

I am posting in this section only because I didn't want to abandon my Canadian hopes, w/o having tried out any thinkable avenue.

So first of all, sorry if I am posting in the completely wrong category here, but I was told to look for answers specifically in this section.

I work as a consultant in corporate IT and have a long and successful track record, freelancing for Fortune 500 companies for many years now.
Three different law firms told me that the recent changes in Canadian immigration laws made it impossible for me to immigrate to Canada under the federal program
*** w/o having a Canadian Employer sponsoring me for a perm position ***.
I make a very, very decent living with my current profession, so besides the difficulties in finding a perm employer from overseas, I would also have an issue of doing the same work for a lot less money. I am successful as a freelancer and would like to stay that way.

My advanced age (50+) means that I can not gain enough points in the FedExEntry program, w/o getting extra credits for my skill set.
But both the lawyers and the Canadian Immigration wizard told me that IT Expert or Computer Engineer is not listed as a preferred skill on the FedExEntry program.

To make this crystal clear - I don't care if I "can still apply" - what counts for me is if I can get enough credit for my skill set to offset my 52 years of age.
Unfortunately I don't have enough savings to qualify under the investor's program, but I would have enough for a freelancer/independent worker's visa - as long as my profession is accepted as a "preferred skill".

Now I was told by the lawyers that I might still get lucky with a Provincial Program, but Google could not tell me which province(s) - if any - is/are looking for skilled IT freelancers.

Does anyone here know of any Canadian province(s) that has/have registered a need for skilled IT freelancers ?