+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Prove my brother lives in canada?

Addzz120

Star Member
Feb 28, 2019
so i have to prove my brother resides in canada and has done for a year.
Normally what documents are asked for? I read some say a rental agreement etc but that seems very vague, for all they know he rented a dump and actually lived overseas for a year.
Even so, he went travelling for 6 months too so despite being there (addressed registered) for a year, could they say “well he left the country for a while so he needs 6 more months”

Sorry to sound so particular but i just want to follow correct process and the evidence ask for doesn’t seem to profe much beyond him taking a rental agreement on said date a year ago which means nothing to prove he’s lives there continueously?

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
For what type of application does he prove that he lived in Canada for a year? Common-law? If he indeed travelled for 6 months and have only been living with his partner for 6 months, it is best to wait 6 more months. Misrepresenting where one physically was can result to a 5 year ban.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
so i have to prove my brother resides in canada and has done for a year.
Normally what documents are asked for? I read some say a rental agreement etc but that seems very vague, for all they know he rented a dump and actually lived overseas for a year.
Even so, he went travelling for 6 months too so despite being there (addressed registered) for a year, could they say “well he left the country for a while so he needs 6 more months”

Sorry to sound so particular but i just want to follow correct process and the evidence ask for doesn’t seem to profe much beyond him taking a rental agreement on said date a year ago which means nothing to prove he’s lives there continueously?
Are you asking about Family Sponsorship or a PNP program? If you're asking about PNP, then you should post your question to the PNP section of the forum.

Addzz120

Star Member
Feb 28, 2019
For what type of application does he prove that he lived in Canada for a year? Common-law? If he indeed travelled for 6 months and have only been living with his partner for 6 months, it is best to wait 6 more months. Misrepresenting where one physically was can result to a 5 year ban.
Trouble is i need to know what’s okay as he does return to the UK to check on our rental properties, i hope they’d conisder that logical.
It’s specific to the manitoba PNP, however i’m exploring family sponsorship (which doesn’t require the years residence as far as i know) and also relevant to the extra points for CRS for family in canadaso i wasn’t sure where to post this.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Trouble is i need to know what’s okay as he does return to the UK to check on our rental properties, i hope they’d conisder that logical.
It’s specific to the manitoba PNP, however i’m exploring family sponsorship (which doesn’t require the years residence as far as i know) and also relevant to the extra points for CRS for family in canadaso i wasn’t sure where to post this.
You'll need to post to the PNP section for any questions related to the Manitoba PNP program.

For Express Entry / CRS points - questions should be posted in the Express Entry section of the forum. The short answer is that your brother must be living in Canada to get the 50 sibling points. If he leaves for six months, this won't be classified as living in Canada - so no 50 points.

For family sponsorship, your brother can only sponsor you through family class if all of the following are true:
- he has no spouse / common law partner
- he has no children
- both of your parents are deceased
- he has no other family members living in Canada (e.g. aunts, uncles)