+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Protocol for a new comer in canada

Shrey Adatiya

Sep 7, 2018
Can anyone help me out in what to keep in kind and what are the do’s and don’ts to keep in mind while migrating to canada on a study permit? (I’m migrating from India)
Thanks

Metalhead_666

Star Member
Apr 12, 2016
Can anyone help me out in what to keep in kind and what are the do’s and don’ts to keep in mind while migrating to canada on a study permit? (I’m migrating from India)
Thanks
Do's :
  • Talk slowly and clearly, some people may have a hard time understanding you (specially old folks). Don't be afraid to repeat/rephrase yourself
  • Canadians are very polite. If people accidentally bump into reach other or were about to, both the parties say "Sorry". You will hear people saying "Sorry" a lot!
  • Hold the door open for others at malls/public places before and after you pass. It is considered polite.
  • Be considerate and respectful towards others, a lot of Indians forget that they are no longer in India and continue with the 'chalta hai' attitude (specially North Indians, I have nothing against them but this is my personal experience)
  • Do greet your neighbours, store clerks or reps at coffee shops. People usually start their conversation with "How are you doing today?" although at times it may be rhetorical
  • Make friends with people from all communities, don't just hang out with Indians
  • Try to give it back to the society in any way you can (eg: volunteering)
Dont's :
  • I believe you are moving here as a student, the first rule to is NEVER copy your assignments, plagiarism is taken very seriously in the West and you will be graded zero for the assignment/course
  • Your credit score is important, be responsible and make timely payments to build your score
  • Don't ever try to bribe a cop or any official. I know it is a common practice in India, however it is a serious offence here
  • All jobs are given equal importance in the West. You will find a lot of educated people driving Uber, working in coffee shops etc. Don't hesitate to take up any jobs if needed. Leave the attitude of 'log kya kahenge' in India where MBA's and Engineers are expected to only do white collar jobs. People take pride in their jobs here and everyone is treated with respect, be it dishwasher or cleaner. People don't care what you do till the time you earn honestly. Don't 'look down' on others who do such jobs.
  • It will take you a while to get your first job, everyone goes through that struggle, don't be disheartened. Things usually get smoother six months to a year down the line
Trust this helps! Cheers!

Last edited:
Reactions: lferfga and zardoz

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
That's some seriously good advice.

Remember, treat others, as you would hope to be treated by them.