+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Protected refugee visiting home

Hope2020

Jan 3, 2020
Hi All,

First post here on behalf of a friend.

She is a protected refugee planning on visiting family back home. I am a Canadian citizen and have no idea with this but I heard that it is not allowed.

Some say nobody can figure it out while others say they can find it out when she applies for citizenship. How would they find this out when she applies for the citizenship?

Can anybody make this issue clear for her, please? I am trying to convince her not to do it but I understand her situation as he has not seen her kids for 5 years.

Everyone is welcome to share their experiences and stories.

Thanks

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
It could be considered re-availment of the country she fled, and could cause her to lose her refugee or PR status if granted.

She has to provide travel records at a citizenship application so travels there may be revealed in the application.

Additionally, airlines provide CBSA and IRCC with manifests and travel records. So she could be discovered earlier.

If she is a refugee from a country where she has a credible risk for her life or safety, she shouldn't be returning.

babsizkil

Dec 18, 2016
Hi All,

First post here on behalf of a friend.

She is a protected refugee planning on visiting family back home. I am a Canadian citizen and have no idea with this but I heard that it is not allowed.

Some say nobody can figure it out while others say they can find it out when she applies for citizenship. How would they find this out when she applies for the citizenship?

Can anybody make this issue clear for her, please? I am trying to convince her not to do it but I understand her situation as he has not seen her kids for 5 years.

Everyone is welcome to share their experiences and stories.

Thanks
If she tries to travel back home to a country where she initially feared persecution and IRCC got genuine information or report from family at home or friends, she will be considered ineligible or not in need of the protection any longer. First, as a protected person, she isn't expected to travel back home with his national passport, doing this means, she's still seeking her country protection. On arrival, she maybe subject to secondary examination for question. If BSO or Immigration staff has evidence or reasonable ground that she travel home. She's likely to loose her protected status and found inadmissible. By the way, didn't she included her kids in her refugee claim? If they were included, it will be easy to bring them over.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Additionally, she is required to inform of all countries visited when she returns to Canada, so it would be discovered there and then.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
As a Canadian you should report her for not following the laws if she chooses to travel even though she knows it could result in her losing her PR. She is essentially saying that she doesn’t think she will get caught so she doesn’t care if she knowingly breaks the rules.

Hope2020

Jan 3, 2020
It could be considered re-availment of the country she fled, and could cause her to lose her refugee or PR status if granted.

She has to provide travel records at a citizenship application so travels there may be revealed in the application.

Additionally, airlines provide CBSA and IRCC with manifests and travel records. So she could be discovered earlier.

If she is a refugee from a country where she has a credible risk for her life or safety, she shouldn't be returning.
Airlines are not involved in her case. She is going to use a border crossing where she can show her national ID only.

Hope2020

Jan 3, 2020
As a Canadian you should report her for not following the laws if she chooses to travel even though she knows it could result in her losing her PR. She is essentially saying that she doesn’t think she will get caught so she doesn’t care if she knowingly breaks the rules.
I will but I will have to prove it to her. I do not want her to put her life at risk.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Airlines are not involved in her case. She is going to use a border crossing where she can show her national ID only.
Well she’ll have to show a passport to leave Canada and re-enter to the airline , so yes , airlines are involved
And where do you think her data goes too after the airline swipes her passport?
The Government
She would not show her national ID to enter Canada or leave

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
She will likely be questioned by the government because she will land in a neighbouring country than her home country. CBSA is not stupid they know people land in neighbouring countries than go by bus and cross on foot at the border. If she does go to her home country I would call CBSA and report her plans.

For example. I am calling to let you know the XYX who is a protected person in Canada is on her way to visit her home country. She left on.... (if you have the date from .... city airport. She is landing in Jordan and plans to use her national ID to get into Syria by land. She will go by bus to see her family in Damascus. She will be returning to Canada by flying out of Jordan (give date if you know it) and intends to lie and say she was only in Jordan. I have warned her that this is not allowed but she feels that she will not get caught so is doing it anyways. I do not support her breaking the rules of being a protected person so want to report her.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/protect-fraud/report-fraud.html

Reactions: jddd

Hope2020

Jan 3, 2020
Well she’ll have to show a passport to leave Canada and re-enter to the airline , so yes , airlines are involved
And where do you think her data goes too after the airline swipes her passport?
The Government
She would not show her national ID to enter Canada or leave
Right but I mean she doesn't not have to do that when she is going there from a neighboring country where an id is accepted!

Hope2020

Jan 3, 2020
She will likely be questioned by the government because she will land in a neighbouring country than her home country. CBSA is not stupid they know people land in neighbouring countries than go by bus and cross on foot at the border. If she does go to her home country I would call CBSA and report her plans.

For example. I am calling to let you know the XYX who is a protected person in Canada is on her way to visit her home country. She left on.... (if you have the date from .... city airport. She is landing in Jordan and plans to use her national ID to get into Syria by land. She will go by bus to see her family in Damascus. She will be returning to Canada by flying out of Jordan (give date if you know it) and intends to lie and say she was only in Jordan. I have warned her that this is not allowed but she feels that she will not get caught so is doing it anyways. I do not support her breaking the rules of being a protected person so want to report her.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/protect-fraud/report-fraud.html
Roger sir

But seriously how would they know if she crossed the border through a neighboring country where an id is accepted. She is not going to use the RTD there! I am asking cuz I am curious to know! And yes Jordan to Syria!!!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Roger sir

But seriously how would they know if she crossed the border through a neighboring country where an id is accepted. She is not going to use the RTD there! I am asking cuz I am curious to know! And yes Jordan to Syria!!!
Not going to tell you tell you because it sounds like you may be the one crossing and I would not want to post information to help any other protected person considering attempting this. There have been protected people caught going by foot to neighbouring country. This is exactly why you have people complaining about asylum people and saying they are able to return home. Situations like this just gives the anti-refugee movement ammunition.

Reactions: Das67 and jddd

Zamal

Jun 7, 2019
Calgary , Canada
Not going to tell you tell you because it sounds like you may be the one crossing and I would not want to post information to help any other protected person considering attempting this. There have been protected people caught going by foot to neighbouring country. This is exactly why you have people complaining about asylum people and saying they are able to return home. Situations like this just gives the anti-refugee movement ammunition.

Agreed with @canuck78 . It sounds like you will be the one crossing illegally .