+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PROTECTED PERSONS FAMILY APPLYING FOR PR (IN CANADA)

Jakiewuyi

Star Member
Jan 20, 2022
We got the protected persons status (all family members and I was the principal refugee claimant, Now, my queston is - is it possible for ONLY my spouse (who is not the principal refugee claimant) and our kids to apply for PR and I DO NOT apply now along with them (I intend to apply maybe a few years later, once they get their PR status). Is it possible to do this? OR is it compulsary that all family members should apply for PR at the same time.

I am aware that if my spouse applies for PR along with the kids, she will enter my details too in the form...etc. and that's OK. But I wont be one of the PR applicant as such in that application. Pls advice, greatly appreciated. Thanks!
yes you can apply separately. However based on experience I’ll advise that you all should make a joint application ( if your current situation permits it).

Reactions: canuck78

HumanityFirst786

Star Member
Nov 3, 2023
Change in Country's Circumstance can necessitate someone to travel to country of origin. But bottom line, there's no law restricting travel after losing your protected status...
You are right, but my comment is if you have genuine claim , and you know law in country of origin did not necessitate and you knowingly go and put your life in danger, then it will be a false claim as a human thinking. Whether there is a law or not, one should never lie that my life is danger in country of origin and in fact it is not and the guy just want Canadian passport as he/she want a better life in Canada, this pathway is for people who have valid problem in country of origin even after they receive Canadian passport. It does not matter what I say here, everybody has his own choice, but fact is never exploit the system that can result in a bad way.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Canuck78 with his/her response ended up taking my question in a totally different direction. PLEASE READ MY ORIGINAL QUESTION AGAIN.

All I wanted to know was can the family split up in applying for PR. It is our personal reason to do this - it doesnt mean we are false claimants. Please STOP stereotyping here. You dont know what hell we have been through that made us flee to Canada.

Why are you speculating that I am going to my home country? Who gave you the confirmation that my BOC is false? PLEASE STOP misleading in these forums. IAM NOT GOING TO MY HOME COUNTRY.

JUST ANSWER THE QUESTION. AND IF YOU CAN'T, THEN STAY QUIET.

Rest of you - Can I please request the other learned people, who come ccross this question, to kindly help me with the answer to my original question. Thanks!
It is highly unusual for the primary applicant not to apply for PR with their family. Except lack of funds it is hard to understand why a protected person would delay applying for PR. If it an issue of funds applying for adults would likely make sense first.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you become Canadian Citizen, then you can travel to your home country due to serious reasons on Canadian Passport. I know most of the people who go to their home country on Canadian citizenship and even on PR, they don't get caught.
There have quite a lot of cessation of status applications being filed and travelling to your home country or using your home country passport before receiving Canadian citizenship is a very bad idea. Just because others have gotten away with it doesn’t mean you will and it is much easier to get caught thanks to technology these days. There is also a false notion that once you receive citizenship you are in the clear if you misrepresented anything in your asylum claim or any immigration application. The government can attempt to have your status removed if the grounds of your asylum claim are found to have been a lie. The other big misconception is that if you are not caught at the airport after visiting your home country as a protected before you become a Canadian citizen. During citizenship application is when many get caught for visiting their home country or having used their home country passport. The safest thing to do is not misrepresent anything to IRCC, not travel to your home country or use your home country passport.

Reactions: HumanityFirst786

HumanityFirst786

Star Member
Nov 3, 2023
It is highly unusual for the primary applicant not to apply for PR with their family. Except lack of funds it is hard to understand why a protected person would delay applying for PR. If it an issue of funds applying for adults would likely make sense first.
I took loan to pay for my PR application and it was worth it.

HumanityFirst786

Star Member
Nov 3, 2023
There have quite a lot of cessation of status applications being filed and travelling to your home country or using your home country passport before receiving Canadian citizenship is a very bad idea. Just because others have gotten away with it doesn’t mean you will and it is much easier to get caught thanks to technology these days. There is also a false notion that once you receive citizenship you are in the clear if you misrepresented anything in your asylum claim or any immigration application. The government can attempt to have your status removed if the grounds of your asylum claim are found to have been a lie. The other big misconception is that if you are not caught at the airport after visiting your home country as a protected before you become a Canadian citizen. During citizenship application is when many get caught for visiting their home country or having used their home country passport. The safest thing to do is not misrepresent anything to IRCC, not travel to your home country or use your home country passport.
You did not read the next reply. I know all that you said. There are loop holes in the system, after citizenship and Canadian passport even CBSA officer let protected person go because he is no longer just a protected person but a Canadian citizen who pay taxes and has no criminal history in Canada. I said false claim should be punished, but if someone has serious issue like a family death or something in country of origin, they should let go them, because they don't intend to go but they have to due to serious circumstances,

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You did not read the next reply. I know all that you said. There are loop holes in the system, after citizenship and Canadian passport even CBSA officer let protected person go because he is no longer just a protected person but a Canadian citizen who pay taxes and has no criminal history in Canada. I said false claim should be punished, but if someone has serious issue like a family death or something in country of origin, they should let go them, because they don't intend to go but they have to due to serious circumstances,
The rules do not permit visiting your home country for any reason as a protected person. There can be some leniency but that is not guaranteed. Returning to your home country as a protected person always comes with the risk of potentially losing status so many have missed out on many family events. Luckily there is now access to things like Skype and FaceTime so families are able access than used to be possible. The asylum system is meant for those whose lives are at risk if they remain in their home country. There are many protected people who would be killed if they returned to their home country for any reasons. They can’t return for any reason. Even when they get Canadian citizenship they will not visit their country of origin because their lives will still be at risk. The asylum system was put in place for those who could never return to their home country unless, for example, there are significant reforms to their country or potentially after regime changes. There are many protected people in Canada that have been in Canada for decades and have never visited their country of origin.

HumanityFirst786

Star Member
Nov 3, 2023
The rules do not permit visiting your home country for any reason as a protected person. There can be some leniency but that is not guaranteed. Returning to your home country as a protected person always comes with the risk of potentially losing status so many have missed out on many family events. Luckily there is now access to things like Skype and FaceTime so families are able access than used to be possible. The asylum system is meant for those whose lives are at risk if they remain in their home country. There are many protected people who would be killed if they returned to their home country for any reasons. They can’t return for any reason. Even when they get Canadian citizenship they will not visit their country of origin because their lives will still be at risk. The asylum system was put in place for those who could never return to their home country unless, for example, there are significant reforms to their country or potentially after regime changes. There are many protected people in Canada that have been in Canada for decades and have never visited their country of origin.
True. Good speech but it will not solve anything people will still travel back to their home country as there are their families, financial assets, and loop holes in Canadian law for Canadian citizens through protected person pathway. This feels wrong but right now there is no law and about danger of death, it is their personal choice people don't take permission before committing suicide

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
You are right, but my comment is if you have genuine claim , and you know law in country of origin did not necessitate and you knowingly go and put your life in danger, then it will be a false claim as a human thinking. Whether there is a law or not, one should never lie that my life is danger in country of origin and in fact it is not and the guy just want Canadian passport as he/she want a better life in Canada, this pathway is for people who have valid problem in country of origin even after they receive Canadian passport. It does not matter what I say here, everybody has his own choice, but fact is never exploit the system that can result in a bad way.
I totally agree with you but each case is specific and its not up to us to judge. Another thing to note is, it takes approximately 7years to become a Citizen after initial refugee claims. So many things happen including change in political environment in most developing countries in 7yrs span.
Bottom line, where Canada is located geographically, brings lots of credibility in question, aside from Government assisted refugees... and I'm sure they all know the truth.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
That explains statistics people chose not to apply for Canadian Citizen for various reason, including not be able to pay processing fees. Nothing unusual

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
True. Good speech but it will not solve anything people will still travel back to their home country as there are their families, financial assets, and loop holes in Canadian law for Canadian citizens through protected person pathway. This feels wrong but right now there is no law and about danger of death, it is their personal choice people don't take permission before committing suicide
Unfortunately you can not create two tier system for Canadian Citizenship regardless of what path one used to become a Citizen

Reactions: HumanityFirst786

Umar bhalli

Apr 7, 2024
I have i question me and my father mother and sister brother is a protected Person in canada and im 31 year old but i wanna leave canada because i dont have P.R if wait my p.r i lost my wife thats why i wanna leave

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have i question me and my father mother and sister brother is a protected Person in canada and im 31 year old but i wanna leave canada because i dont have P.R if wait my p.r i lost my wife thats why i wanna leave
It's not clear what your question is.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I wanna leave canada parmanently. Im protected person im Independent.
You can certainly leave Canada. Just please be prepared that you most likely won't be able to return on any sort of temporary status and will lose your protected person status.

I'm not sure how the process works exactly once you are already a protected person. However you'll need to notify IRCC / CBSA that you want to leave Canada. You'll then need to purchase a flight ticket to your home country. Your passport will be returned to you at the airport or on the flight once you are leaving.

Good luck.