+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Protected Person status withdrawal

IreneH

Feb 14, 2019
Hi!

I'm trying to find out if I can withdraw my protected person status. I received my Permanent Residentship card under the family class (my husband is a citizen and he sponsored me), not because I was granted a protected person status. Planning to apply for citizenship when the time comes. Because of personal reasons I am thinking of dropping my refugee status. What are the consequences of such an actions? Is it even possible? Will I have any problems getting citizenship later?

Thank you in advance!

sss12345

Star Member
Dec 13, 2017
Hi!

I'm trying to find out if I can withdraw my protected person status. I received my Permanent Residentship card under the family class (my husband is a citizen and he sponsored me), not because I was granted a protected person status. Planning to apply for citizenship when the time comes. Because of personal reasons I am thinking of dropping my refugee status. What are the consequences of such an actions? Is it even possible? Will I have any problems getting citizenship later?

Thank you in advance!
I think there should be no issue in the withdrawal of your protected person protection as you have landed as a spouse. You should probably contact an attorney to double check on the procedure and to make sure you follow the steps correctly.
Cheers!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you were already granted protected status you can't give it back. You received PR through your spouse but you were able to stay in Canada before as a protected person.

Reactions: jddd and live&love

live&love

Apr 25, 2018
I was a protected person, but I got my permanent residency through spousal sponsorship. There was no problems, and I didn’t have to give my protected person status.

Reactions: sss12345

luisab1993

Star Member
Jul 6, 2020
I was a protected person, but I got my permanent residency through spousal sponsorship. There was no problems, and I didn’t have to give my protected person status.
My husband and I just got our PR through my CEC, but a month before he had his Refugee audience approved. We now want to travel to the US using his old passport, would we have to ask to withdraw his convention refugee status in order to get his passport??

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My husband and I just got our PR through my CEC, but a month before he had his Refugee audience approved. We now want to travel to the US using his old passport, would we have to ask to withdraw his convention refugee status in order to get his passport??
He is still considered a protected person. You can certainly get his passport back but he faces the same restrictions as any protected person. For example he can’t travel to his home country until he is a Canadian citizen.

luisab1993

Star Member
Jul 6, 2020
He is still considered a protected person. You can certainly get his passport back but he faces the same restrictions as any protected person. For example he can’t travel to his home country until he is a Canadian citizen.
Ok no problem, but can he travel for example to the US or Colombia? He is not from any of those countries.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
This is the definition of the word “ passport “

Definition of passport
1a : a formal document issued by an authorized official of a country to one of its citizens that is usually necessary for exit from and reentry into the country, that allows the citizen to travel in a foreign country in accordance with visa requirements, and that requests protection for the citizen while abroad

He asked Canada for Protection since his country wasn’t giving him protection, hence he applied for asylum and was GRANTED it .
Even thinking of using his countries passport for travel doesn’t make sense, since his country couldn’t protect him

luisab1993

Star Member
Jul 6, 2020
This is the definition of the word “ passport “

Definition of passport
1a : a formal document issued by an authorized official of a country to one of its citizens that is usually necessary for exit from and reentry into the country, that allows the citizen to travel in a foreign country in accordance with visa requirements, and that requests protection for the citizen while abroad

He asked Canada for Protection since his country wasn’t giving him protection, hence he applied for asylum and was GRANTED it .
Even thinking of using his countries passport for travel doesn’t make sense, since his country couldn’t protect him
I'm getting a lot of different feedback even from Refugee Lawyers about using the passport. That's why I'm confused.

luisab1993

Star Member
Jul 6, 2020
Yes but the thing is he got his PR via me with my CEC application, so we applied on September 2021 with him as my dependant and in April 2022 he had his refugee audience approved.