+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Protected Person Returning to Canada without an RTD

Channel 767

Mar 11, 2020
I am a protected person with a valid NOD. Due to an emergency personal situation, I left Canada without getting an RTD. Thought the NOD was all I needed to prove status and return to Canada. Turns out that was very wrong and I am now trying to figure out how I can fly back since you can't apply for an RTD from outside the country. Stupid mistake I am desperate to fix. Anyone know what can be done? Options, suggestions?

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
I am a protected person with a valid NOD. Due to an emergency personal situation, I left Canada without getting an RTD. Thought the NOD was all I needed to prove status and return to Canada. Turns out that was very wrong and I am now trying to figure out how I can fly back since you can't apply for an RTD from outside the country. Stupid mistake I am desperate to fix. Anyone know what can be done? Options, suggestions?
How were you able to leave Canada? Did you use your home country passport?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I would think your only option would be to try to apply for a TRV and hope that's approved? I would give that a shot.

Hopefully you didn't travel to your home country.

Reactions: jddd

kelepirci

Star Member
Jan 22, 2020
There are some inconsistencies about the problem you have described above:

1-) It is not possible to leave Canada from official port of entry/exit without any sort of travel document including RTD, passport. If you have left Canada from none official way, you are in very tough situation.
2-) There is a chance to get back your home country passport from IRCC. That would allow you to leave Canada but if you do not have valid visa on your passport, you will not be able to come back.
3-) Since you have original NOD with you, you may be able to get emergency travel document from embassy of Canada in your region.

Good luck

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Assume you are now aware that you shouldn’t use your home country passport because that is considered reavailment.