+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Protected Person need help with Study Permit :(

AhmSay

Jul 14, 2017
Hey everyone. I've been struggling trying to find a solution to this problem for a few days, so any help would be appreciated.

I came to Montreal, Canada in 2015 as an international student. In June 2017, I became a Protected Person and received my Notice of Decision. During that month, I moved to Mississauga and started working on my PR, study, and work permit. However, classes start in September and I haven't been able to send my study permit application yet. The reason for that is because the form, IMM5709, asks me to include my passport information, including its expiry date. Obviously, I do not have my passport as it was seized during my refugee application, but the passport had also expired during that time. So the IMM form does not allow me to put an expired date, as the form requires validation.

I called CIC and was told to mail my application instead of applying online.. the employee said it would take up to 4 months if i were to send it by mail, and that urgent processing wouldn't make a difference.
I know of two protected persons who have sent applications for study permits using their refugee travel document information in the "passport" section of the form, and both their permits were issued in 3-5 weeks. However, I don't have a travel document. I have a refugee claimant ID, and full passport copies.

What do you think I should do? I thought I should write the proper issue date of my passport, but type the current date instead of an expiry date. Then maybe I can explain the situation in a Letter of Explanation? Is this a good idea when sending it online? Any thoughts or ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks.