+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Protected Person and work permit

Moe_C

Star Member
Dec 18, 2018
Hello

I have been accepted as a protected person last month. My work permit expires in 2 weeks.

In the process of applying for pr, just don't have the money right now. I'm I eligible to continue working with just the letter of acceptance?

Also, does the time I spent as a claimant counts to my citizenship? I've been a claimant for two years and 2 months.

Last edited:

Kaisa_18

Nov 26, 2018
AOR Received.
08-03-2019
Congrats!

I'm I eligible to continue working with just the letter of acceptance
No, until you get your PR you can't work or study without a valid permit.
You also have to submit an application to renew your work permit before the expiry of the current one, so you need to do this asap.

Also, does the time I spent as a claimant counts to my citizenship? I've been a claimant for two years and 2 months.
No it doesn't. You can start counting from the day you became a convention refugee not before. Keep in mind that until you get your PR status, every day would count as half day only up to one year, as you have to be living as a PR in Canada for at least 2 years to fulfill the citizenship residency requirements.

Moe_C

Star Member
Dec 18, 2018
Congrats!

No, until you get your PR you can't work or study without a valid permit.
You also have to submit an application to renew your work permit before the expiry of the current one, so you need to do this asap.

No it doesn't. You can start counting from the day you became a convention refugee not before. Keep in mind that until you get your PR status, every day would count as half day only up to one year, as you have to be living as a PR in Canada for at least 2 years to fulfill the citizenship residency requirements.

Thank you! I was under the impression that I didn't need a work permit since I'm accepted. Will have to apply today.

Moe_C

Star Member
Dec 18, 2018
Alright, so i just logged in to my IRCC account and there seems to be now way of renewing it?

Moe_C

Star Member
Dec 18, 2018
Thank you, i was able to understand how to do it. Now i face another issue unfortunately. My passport is still with the IRB and is expired, the from itself doesn't accept the date when i put it and i read somewhere that you have to have an active passport to get a work permit?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you, i was able to understand how to do it. Now i face another issue unfortunately. My passport is still with the IRB and is expired, the from itself doesn't accept the date when i put it and i read somewhere that you have to have an active passport to get a work permit?
You can explain that your passport was confiscated by CBSA and as a protected person you can't renew it.

Jst101

Mar 13, 2021
If you applied for an extension you'd have implied status.
The problem is I do delivery jobs and is dependent on my drivers license, my license will expire next month, If I don't get my permit I would loose my job and don't know how I would pay for my expenses.

Moe_C

Star Member
Dec 18, 2018
Update

I applied for the extension and increased the expiration date of my passport and explained why in a letter.

Applied march 31. Got approved April 8th.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
The problem is I do delivery jobs and is dependent on my drivers license, my license will expire next month, If I don't get my permit I would loose my job and don't know how I would pay for my expenses.
Have tried to use implied status printed letter and attempt to renew the licence?