+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Protected Mother and application of PR for her son inside Canada

Nana-Canada

Jun 27, 2019
Dear All,

I do appreciate your advice and support.

I have received a decision for my appeal and now I am confirmed as a protected person, However, unfortunately my son is 23 years, and his appeal is dismissed. I am very distracted and uncertain about this situation. I don't know if I can include him in my PR application? Can you please advise what are the options we have so he can stay here? He is a student at Concordia and has a valid study permit till 2021 and has a valid work permit till December 2019. Thank you for your repllies

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
You cannot include him or sponsor him. He will have to qualify on his own.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Since he has a valid study permit, he should finish his studies, get a PGWP, then work to qualify under Express Entry (Canadian Experience Class). Lots of jobs will qualify him.

What is he studying right now?

Nana-Canada

Jun 27, 2019
Since he has a valid study permit, he should finish his studies, get a PGWP, then work to qualify under Express Entry (Canadian Experience Class). Lots of jobs will qualify him.

Hi.. thank you for your reply. He is doing International business . Can you please let me know what does PGWP stand for?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Is it Post Graduate Work Permit? sorry, i am not familiar with the abbreviations as I am new at this forum.
Yes.

He will be eligible for a PGWP after he graduates. Once he's worked in Canada for one year on a NOC 0,A,B job (you can google this - basically skilled work, such as a bank teller, marketing analyst, sales person in a company etc etc - not something like a gardener or painter), he will qualify for Express Entry under the Canadian Experience Class, and will hopefully have enough points to get invited to be a PR.

You should read up on Express Entry

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/works.html
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/canadian-experience-class.html

Nana-Canada

Jun 27, 2019

Do you know if he should change his status at the IRC from Refugee Claimant to a Student, as his Refugee ID will expire soon. Do you know the process for that? Thank you.

Nana-Canada

Jun 27, 2019
Yes.

He will be eligible for a PGWP after he graduates. Once he's worked in Canada for one year on a NOC 0,A,B job (you can google this - basically skilled work, such as a bank teller, marketing analyst, sales person in a company etc etc - not something like a gardener or painter), he will qualify for Express Entry under the Canadian Experience Class, and will hopefully have enough points to get invited to be a PR.

You should read up on Express Entry

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/works.html
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/canadian-experience-class.html
Thank you for the information you have sent me. I do appreciate your support.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Since he has a valid study permit, he should finish his studies,
Not positive, but there might be a problem with that plan. His removal order is now in force since his appeal was refused. CBSA may decide to enforce the order and remove him from Canada. Having a SV won’t prevent that from happening.

Reactions: canuck_in_uk

Nana-Canada

Jun 27, 2019
Not positive, but there might be a problem with that plan. His removal order is now in force since his appeal was refused. CBSA may decide to enforce the order and remove him from Canada. Having a SV won’t prevent that from happening.
Hi bluetruck.. Thank you for your reply... Do you think we can change his status at the IRC from Regugee Claimant to Student only?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Did he hold the student visa before he claimed refugee status or did he obtain the student visa afterwards?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The issue is that it sounds like he claimed asylum before he started school. I am surprised his study permit wasn’t cancelled. Believe this doesn’t make him ineligible for PGWP. Students should really remain students and go on to PGWP. Asylum is a much riskier undertaking.

Nana-Canada

Jun 27, 2019
The issue is that it sounds like he claimed asylum before he started school. I am surprised his study permit wasn’t cancelled. Believe this doesn’t make him ineligible for PGWP. Students should really remain students and go on to PGWP. Asylum is a much riskier undertaking.
Thank you for your reply. Yes, he started his Uni after we have applied for the assylum. Do you know if he can change his status with IRC from Refugee Claimant to International Student, as he already has his study permit?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Are you sure his study permit wasn’t cancelled? The big issue is if he doesn’t qualify for PGWP he will have to leave after his education or before since he now has an exclusion order. I would be contacting a lawyer.