+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Prospects for banking professionals in Canada

IndGuy123

May 14, 2015
Hi All,

I am a banking professional from India with over 8 years of experience in retail banking. Most of this experience has been in the role of a Branch Manager, overseeing Sales and Operations in multiple retail banking branches in India. I am considering migrating overseas, and want to know which country would be best for me. Could someone tell me what my prospects are like in Canada (inputs on other countries are welcome, too)? A few specific questions I have in mind are:

1. What kind of roles I can expect in Canada? (I assume I may not be considered for a Branch Manager for a start; correct me if I am wrong.)
2. Which cities can I find suitable opportunities in?
3. What kind of a pay and savings can I expect?
4. I know there may be quite a few Indians in the IT departments of banks. But are there many Indians working in core banking too?

Other details: We are a family of four. My wife works as a technical writer, and my kinds are 7 and 1 respectively. We are not sure if this move would be a long term one or not, at this point. It depends on how things pan out for us after the move.

Looking forward to receiving some valuabe inputs.

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: supin

sapguru

Jul 16, 2010
Toronto
LANDED..........
16-08-2009
You can land as a financial advisor job. Money will grow with the efforts that you put in as most of these career are related to sales.

supin

Dec 27, 2015
Hi All,

I am a banking professional from India with over 8 years of experience in retail banking. Most of this experience has been in the role of a Branch Manager, overseeing Sales and Operations in multiple retail banking branches in India. I am considering migrating overseas, and want to know which country would be best for me. Could someone tell me what my prospects are like in Canada (inputs on other countries are welcome, too)? A few specific questions I have in mind are:

1. What kind of roles I can expect in Canada? (I assume I may not be considered for a Branch Manager for a start; correct me if I am wrong.)
2. Which cities can I find suitable opportunities in?
3. What kind of a pay and savings can I expect?
4. I know there may be quite a few Indians in the IT departments of banks. But are there many Indians working in core banking too?

Other details: We are a family of four. My wife works as a technical writer, and my kinds are 7 and 1 respectively. We are not sure if this move would be a long term one or not, at this point. It depends on how things pan out for us after the move.

Looking forward to receiving some valuabe inputs.

Thanks in advance.
Hi Buddy,I too have similar experience and planning to move canada in oct-nov.Do tell me if you get to know any useful information on banking scope in canada .

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The retail banking sector is an sector in decline due to online banking an ATMs. Banking in general is an industry in transition. I'm not sure what qualifications you have but I would imagine it will be challenging to break into the industry. Not saying impossible but difficult.

sapguru

Jul 16, 2010
Toronto
LANDED..........
16-08-2009
The retail banking sector is an sector in decline due to online banking an ATMs. Banking in general is an industry in transition. I'm not sure what qualifications you have but I would imagine it will be challenging to break into the industry. Not saying impossible but difficult.
Canada is still far from erosion of brick and mortar banks. Since immigration has been at full pace here, the banking sector still makes good money by selling products to new Immigrants.
I also happen to work as a financial advisor in my second career and I operate virtually i.e. no branch or office of my own. Another important fact is that a financial advisor does not have to attached to banks only. The kind of products that I sell are not sold by Banks as they are not authorized to do so. If any one wants to look for financial advisor career, they can contact me via personal message.