+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Prospective immigrant needs to visit Canada

flotsim

Feb 21, 2008
I have received my aor and planning to visit canada for a job search. What is the best way to go about it?
I have read on other forums that trv is denied for prospective immigrants.
If I apply for visit visa through an invitation letter from my friend in toronto will the authorities know i am a prospective immigrant or am i obligated to let them know?
I plan to visit for 2 months but will get a return ticket for 3 weeks.
If not a tourist visa how about a student visa? or is any kind of travel to canada banned for prospective immigrant?
Appreciate a response.

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
flotsim said:
I have received my aor and planning to visit canada for a job search. What is the best way to go about it?
I have read on other forums that trv is denied for prospective immigrants.
If I apply for visit visa through an invitation letter from my friend in toronto will the authorities know i am a prospective immigrant or am i obligated to let them know?
I plan to visit for 2 months but will get a return ticket for 3 weeks.
If not a tourist visa how about a student visa? or is any kind of travel to canada banned for prospective immigrant?
Appreciate a response.
Yes, they will know you are a prospective immigrant and you are also obligated to let them know.

A TRV would be the only option. They would definitely refuse a student visa.

A TRV is based on your ability to prove that you would return home after your visit. Whatever documentation you can show that would lead them to that conclusion will help your case.

ebichies

Jul 5, 2008
What is TRV?

Also, does it jeopardise your chances of obtaining a visitors(tourist) visa if you declare that you are going on an explorational visit, so you can make up your mind on immigrating to Canada or not?

Thanks.

JC

Star Member
Aug 25, 2005
ebichies said:
What is TRV?
Also, does it jeopardise your chances of obtaining a visitors(tourist) visa if you declare that you are going on an explorational visit, so you can make up your mind on immigrating to Canada or not?
Thanks.
A TRV is a temporary resident visa - usually given to visitors. You don’t have to go into unnecessary detail e.g. indicate that you are on an exploratory trip. You are allowed to visit Canada anytime as a tourist or for some other short term reason --- you just have to demonstrate honestly (and document) that you intend to leave after your visit. Many people including myself have visited Canada while their PR application is in process. No big deal.