+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pros and Cons of moving from Toronto to Calgary/Edmanton?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi there,

I lived in Toronto for the last 20 years and planning to settle in Edmonton, Alberta in South West area, with my family 2 kids, and a wife (4 in total). I need your help that did I made the right decision to move there, Please need your advice and honest reply, before I finalize my decision, it'll be a big help?

The things which make me scared is That how is the job market there? I am more interested in the Customer Service job there, As I don't drive and will totally rely on Govt Transport if they have any? ( Jobs in Edmonton, Alberta in South West area, I will settle in this area).

Also, I heard that the basic necessities like

Utilities (Monthly)
TorontoEditEdmontonEdit
Basic (Electricity, Heating, Cooling, Water, Garbage) for 85m2 Apartment169.11 C$218.50 C$ +29.21 %
1 min. of Prepaid Mobile Tariff Local (No Discounts or Plans)0.36 C$0.33 C$ -8.56 %
Internet (60 Mbps or More, Unlimited Data, Cable/ADSL)71.94 C$90.88 C$ +26.33 %

Why Edmonton is quite expensive in Basic (Electricity, Heating, Cooling, Water, Garbage) and Internet (60 Mbps or More, Unlimited Data, Cable/ADSL)
Even when the job market is quite low I believe? And for sure it's cooler than Toronto so the heating will be used in access. So all your money drained there.

Your suggestions will be highly appreciated.
You are replying to a past from almost a decade ago when the economy in AB was very different. Would suggest making a new post. Have you looked at the availability of customer service jobs and the pay rate? Would be best to secure a job before moving so you know where to move and whether the jobs are close to public transportation. People are much more dependent on cars versus in Toronto. What about employment for your spouse?