+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof that sponsor visited principal applicant - gas receipts?

timbitpep

Jan 20, 2019
NY
Category........
FAM
I appreciate that! Always good to look out for those things.

A little more information on dual intent is here:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/dual-intent-applicants.html

As long as they have reason to believe that you will leave Canada if you are denied PR, it's reasonable to be in Canada as a visitor. Even long term and unemployed. My family is in the states, I heave plenty of reasons to return.

Technically, I've been under dual intent in Canada every weekend since my application was received because I have 2 intentions. If needed, I can always go to my sister's. I've got my financials in order, have never been denied entry, etc.

It is admittedly much easier for American/Canadian couples to do dual intent. There's no visas or pre authorization, we can come and go as we please as long as we play by the rules.

The likelihood of being denied entry in my case is very slim.
Even without a job, the agent has no reason to believe that I wouldn't leave. My crossing history is too consistent, never been denied entry, I've got a nexus card, I'm American, it's outland sponsorship, etc. They might bring me in for a few minutes and try to intimidate me to see if I change my story. But they're just doing their job.

I'm not sure how this works when your PR application is in process, but we got a lecture about what is needed when you cross as a visitor: sufficient funds in your bank account (proof), a job that you're going back to (or can go back to - a letter saying you're on a leave of absence), medical insurance, a copy of your lease or a letter from someone saying you're living with them...

Just sayin'.

Last edited:

timbitpep

Jan 20, 2019
NY
Category........
FAM
Yes- I don't remember which sheet it is on.. the checklist??

You can even live together in Canada while applying for Outland sponsorship- so long as you are legally there. Inland vs outland is all about where it get processed.

Okay, help me out here - is there or is there not a part of a form that asks who the principal applicant is currently living with if you're not living together with the sponsor (spouse)? I could've sworn I saw it somewhere, and now I can't find it.

halexhowellosuna

Mar 24, 2019
Yes- I don't remember which sheet it is on.. the checklist??

You can even live together in Canada while applying for Outland sponsorship- so long as you are legally there. Inland vs outland is all about where it get processed.
Looked through it a couple times. Granted, it wouldn't hurt to review everything again with a fresh set of eyes. I know it's teeny-tiny writing, on a first or second page...

halexhowellosuna

Mar 24, 2019
If the principal applicant changes jobs before the application is sent in (but everything is signed), what would be the best way to update that information?

timbitpep

Jan 20, 2019
NY
Category........
FAM
If the principal applicant changes jobs before the application is sent in (but everything is signed), what would be the best way to update that information?
Update it on the paperwork. Print it out again. Is it on any of the pages that are signed? If cannot, you cash just switch out the pages.