+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof that sponsor living abroad will stay in Canada

mapleleaf2014

Star Member
Oct 18, 2013
Hi, I have been wading through all the information on Permanent Residency recently. I am pretty clear about most things, however I have a couple of questions, which I hope are fairly straight forward.
Firstly, what proof will immigration accept that my partner (who is a Canadian citizen) will remain in Canada if I am granted PR status? We are applying as common-law partners.

I know the following: Job offer/contract/mortgage/rental lease/property.

Is there a limit on the lease, would we have to get a six month lease, or would two months do...that way we could do a bit of research on where we would like to settle. We would be going to a city that my partner is unfamiliar with, as well as he has been away from Canada for several years.

How about setting up as a sole trader, with a registered number? Or would a limited company be better?

Someone else on this forum said - money in a Canadian bank account - any further advice on that one? How does that prove he would be staying in Canada, money you can move around right?....

The reason I ask is we would like to make plans and some of these options we would have more control over than, for example a job offer - although that would be absolutely his first priority....However, it seems from the list given that this is not absolutely essential, it is just an example.

Of course we could prove funds to support ourselves for six months if that helps.

Any other ideas?

Also, I have read conflicting advice about sending photocopies of documents. One place it says just to get translations certified, somewhere else it says to get all copies certified (passport, birth certificate etc). My feeling is to get the copies certified - one less thing for immigration to come back about, however if it is not necessary, this would of course save costs, as common-law applications are a bit more lengthy with regard to proof. So I would be interested in opinions on that.

Thank you in advance.

Canooknic

Sep 20, 2010
England
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
17th May 2011
I think what you have planned sounds fine. I (sponsor) hadn't lived in Canada for over 20 years and had become a stay-at-home mom so didn't even have a job offer etc.
I wrote details of where we were planning on staying when we arrived (with my sister) and the area we were hoping to find a property with emails from her saying how excited her & her family were about our decision to move etc.
I also detailed how we were going to support ourselves until my partner found a job and provided proof of funds etc.

I was basically just completely honest and gave them all the information I could about our plans