+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of your status in canada..common law sponsor application

kangyeun91

Sep 10, 2017
Hi. we are in the process of completing the sponsorship application for common law.

I have been living together with my partner for over 1 year now. On the checklist under section "SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS FOR SPONSORED PERSONS (PRINCIPAL APPLICANT AND ALL FAMILY MEMBERS)" theres a bullet asking to provide proof of status in Canada. It also mentions if you do not have status in Canada, please provide explanation on separate paper as well as a copy of any paper work we have that is relevant to the status. What would you provide as proof of status? When we went for a mini trip and came back, I did not get a stamp on my passport and I also didnt get any paperwork showing how long I can stay for. So I am not sure what I can provide as proof of my status. I heard if there is no stamp, It is assumed that person can stay as a visitor for atleast 6 months from the date they re entered Canada from airport or something. The officer at the airport said it was fine since we are applying for common law. but now reading the application it seems that we need some kind of proof.

My question is, how would I go about providing proof or obtaining some kind of documentation.

Last edited:

Aly199

Aug 23, 2017
sorry to bump, but I have the same question. My wife Entered Canada nearly 5 months ago by car. No stamp was given on her passport so I'm making the same assumptions.

Oceanna

Jun 12, 2018
I have this questions but my husband (principal applicant) is OUTSIDE CANADA, and have NEVER come to CANADA. Thus doesn't have status but isn't in CANADA so how do we address that point? N/A?