+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of work experience at bankrupt company

ee2015

Star Member
Dec 10, 2014
Hi guys,

I have a question about a situation where your company goes bankrupt or closes down.

For example, if the company went bankrupt when you got an ITA so that you won't be able to get job offer letter/employment letter dated after the ITA, will this be a problem?

I would have T4, pay slips, employment contract, initial job offer letter written when I started my job, etc, but what if I cannot obtain an employment letter with a date after ITA?? Also, I heard that I have to submit supervisor/boss' business card, but if the company went bankrupt, is it okay to not submit or submit the old one???

Any comments will be much appreciated.
Thank you!!

YamPower

Champion Member
Jan 13, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-04-2015
Med's Done....
14-04-2015
Passport Req..
09-09-2015
VISA ISSUED...
23-09-2015
LANDED..........
13-11-2015
Can you find a manager from the company who can write the letter? If he/she still has old business cards from the company it might help.

bbleng1001

Aug 31, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
13-08-2015
Med's Done....
27-08-2015
Passport Req..
14-01-2016
ee2015 said:
Hi guys,

I have a question about a situation where your company goes bankrupt or closes down.

For example, if the company went bankrupt when you got an ITA so that you won't be able to get job offer letter/employment letter dated after the ITA, will this be a problem?

I would have T4, pay slips, employment contract, initial job offer letter written when I started my job, etc, but what if I cannot obtain an employment letter with a date after ITA?? Also, I heard that I have to submit supervisor/boss' business card, but if the company went bankrupt, is it okay to not submit or submit the old one???

Thank you!!
Find your previous pay stub and T4, NOA etc for reference. Then explain the situation in the additional document.

ee2015

Star Member
Dec 10, 2014
Thank you guys! I guess it won't affect the application to be rejected because of the company closed down?

bbleng1001

Aug 31, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
13-08-2015
Med's Done....
27-08-2015
Passport Req..
14-01-2016
ee2015 said:
Thank you guys! I guess it won't affect the application to be rejected because of the company closed down?
It does not make sense to reject because of previous employer was bankrupt. As long as all your experience is true and legal, you don't need to worry about it.

A-man

Star Member
Jun 30, 2015
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ee2015 said:
Hi guys,

Thank you!!
You need to be very careful here. Give CIC a call about it, or write an email to them about your situation.

T4s and the payslips will definitely help support the case. However, they do ask for a reference letter which cannot be written by you. It has to be someone in the HR or your boss. Since your situation is complicated, it can be difficult to obtain that letter. At least try to check if you could connect with one of your old bosses through LinkedIn. You could draft the letter and they can sign it.

Also whatever CIC recommends you to do, have it documented (Email is the best). This way you could attach to your EE profile what CIC recommend you to do and not get yourself into trouble.

Hope this helps :)

ee2015

Star Member
Dec 10, 2014
Thanks so much guys for comments!! helped me so much.

If I can get a letter from my boss, does it not have to be on the company's letterhead? I don't think it is possible to do so if the company is no longer operating...