+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of return to Canada

nimar_023

Star Member
Aug 8, 2014
Hi, I also got the same email yesterday after waiting for 11 months with no progress upon completing my test last Aug. I was outside Canada for a vacation only and I already replied with all the travel proofs I have. In your case, how long you have waited for the interview invitation after providing them the travel proofs? so an interview is expected or just happen to some cases only? thx
Hello, did you email them to inform that you will be taking the test from outside Canada? I am in a similar situation

isari

Mar 27, 2018
Hi guys, just wanted to post an update. A couple of days ago we got a mail stating that they scheduled us for an interview. It took about 45 days after the mail to have an interview appointment. Nothing is stated about the oath. I think they will decide whether they will reject our application or not. Somebody said me that they are only interviewing people who had their tests outside the Canada. Anybody went through the same path? Appreciate if we have an idea what is waiting us next? Also what could be the waiting time the for oath if the interview was positive.

Dreamlad

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-04-2017
Med's Done....
23-06-2017
Hi guys, just wanted to post an update. A couple of days ago we got a mail stating that they scheduled us for an interview. It took about 45 days after the mail to have an interview appointment. Nothing is stated about the oath. I think they will decide whether they will reject our application or not. Somebody said me that they are only interviewing people who had their tests outside the Canada. Anybody went through the same path? Appreciate if we have an idea what is waiting us next? Also what could be the waiting time the for oath if the interview was positive.
Same. I feel like my office is putting my application on hold so probably I will go back the end of this month...

Praveena544

Jul 18, 2017
Hello Everyone,

I have been scheduled for any citizenship interview. I have been living with my husband in US as his PR is yet to be approved. Can you please let me know what questions I can expect from the citizenship officer and how do I convince them? Thanks in advance!

lila777

Star Member
Jul 20, 2015
Why are applicants required even to prove they returned to Canada? As far as I know, as long as I'm maintaining my PR, I have all the right to be anywhere.

In my case, I moved out of Canada after my application on Feb 22. But then I got an email asking for my "residential address in Canada". I gave them my friend's address, where I stayed for some time this summer, but I don't live there now. I'm already being discriminated against because have not even gotten a test invite after 11 months of waiting.

lila777

Star Member
Jul 20, 2015
How are your applications going? Any updates?

My wife is an Oct 2020 applicant, she finished the online test in July 2021 (12 months ago) as an outside Canada applicant, is it normal that after this long her file didn't progress?! No DM, no requests, no interview, no oath. Even though the return to Canada proof was sent to them as they requested!

I heard that they are punishing applicants doing the test from outside Canada.

I am a Feb 2020 applicant and finished the online test on 1st of july (outside Canada), it happened that we were both on vacation when the test invite came, we are living in Canada and didn't leave after applying for citizenship.

What is to be expected next? How much time do I need to wait? my wife is still waiting after 12 months from the test

What do you think?

Dalboy1980

Jan 21, 2016
Why are applicants required even to prove they returned to Canada? As far as I know, as long as I'm maintaining my PR, I have all the right to be anywhere.

In my case, I moved out of Canada after my application on Feb 22. But then I got an email asking for my "residential address in Canada". I gave them my friend's address, where I stayed for some time this summer, but I don't live there now. I'm already being discriminated against because have not even gotten a test invite after 11 months of waiting.
You're absolutely correct in stating that as long as you're maintaining your PR status then in theory it's fine....the only point I'd disagree on or ask a question even is 'How are they discriminating against you?' simply because you haven't had a test invite?

Dreamlad

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-04-2017
Med's Done....
23-06-2017

They don't say it on the table but they don't like people being outside. My file was put on hold for 6 months until I returned. Got DM 2 months after.

Dreamlad

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-04-2017
Med's Done....
23-06-2017
That sucks. How did they know that you were back?
You have to tell them and send them boarding pass. Then they can start processing your app again.

Reactions: RJP0191

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010

There are two broad categories of deliberate discrimination, which is entirely legitimate discrimination, in processing citizenship applications:
-- discrimination based on eligibility requirements (falling short of the physical presence requirement by just one day mandates the application be denied; pending criminal charge for indictable offence will constitute a prohibition, barring a grant of citizenship, even if eventually the applicant might be found to be innocent; among many others)​
-- discrimination based on factors which IRCC officials consider reason to conduct additional scrutiny, including non-routine processing that can and typically does delay the process and which can impose additional burdens on applicants (ranging from finger print requests to RQ-related non-routine processing; including, in regards to applicants known or perceived to be abroad, some local offices requiring certain information as to the applicant's return to Canada or even confirmation of actual return to Canada)​

As many know, certain kinds of discrimination are not permissible, not legitimate. Treating citizenship applicants differently based on the colour of their skin, their gender or sexual orientation, their political affiliations, their religious views, or such, is not allowed (acknowledging, however, this is imperfectly applied).

Other forms of impermissible discrimination include the imposition of unjustified restrictions on fundamental rights or freedoms. That said, not all restrictions on fundamental rights or freedoms is wrong or illegal or contrary to the Charter; there are many thousands of Canadians whose freedom to travel is strictly restricted to a single facility, typically one with bars and surrounded by secure fencing, and not only have the courts approved of this, typically this is pursuant to court orders. There are, of course, legitimate reasons for imposing such restrictions on certain individuals, as determined through fair procedures.

Which leads to mobility rights. Spoiler alert regarding mobility rights: the mobility rights protected by the Charter are NOT the same for all Canadians. Canadian citizens, in particular, have mobility rights encompassing international travel. But only those Canadians who are Canadian citizens have those mobility rights. In contrast, the mobility rights of Canadians who have PR status (remember, PRs are Canadians, as they are no longer Foreign Nationals once they become a landed PR), are limited to travel within Canada.

Generally Canada does not restrict the right of PRs to travel outside Canada. But neither is the "right" of a PR to travel outside Canada protected as a right under the Charter. Moreover, even though generally Canada does not restrict the right of PRs to travel outside Canada, Canadian law imposes a limitation on how much time a PR can travel outside Canada and still retain their PR status.

It does indeed appear that applicants living abroad after applying for citizenship are, at least to some degree, discriminated against because of this. Not all. Perhaps not even usually. But, it appears many are. For one example, there has long been a correlation between being abroad and a higher risk for RQ-related non-routine processing. It is also apparent that being abroad (or perceived to be abroad) is a factor increasing the likelihood of an interview (noting, however, IRCC is probably moving toward resuming interviews for all adult applicants anyway). There are credible reports that before completing the process and scheduling the oath, some local offices are requiring applicants known or perceived to be abroad to provide detailed information about when the applicant will return to Canada, and some offices are even requiring documentation the applicant has returned to Canada.

Many decry this, asserting this should not happen. But it does and not only is this within the range of IRCC's discretion, the reasons why they take this approach are no mystery (even if articulating them here tends to incite controversy if not outright personal assaults). You ask what those reasons are. That question has been answered at length in numerous threads here, often triggering an unfounded firestorm of derision; just peruse discussions in topics which refer to "abroad" or "outside Canada" in the topic title.

SUMMARY: not all discrimination is prohibited, and actually it is the opposite, most is not. Applicants who relocate abroad after applying, or who are otherwise abroad for extended periods of time after applying, should be aware this can result in non-routine processing potentially delaying the process and potentially even impose significant additional burdens on the applicant.

lila777

Star Member
Jul 20, 2015
You're absolutely correct in stating that as long as you're maintaining your PR status then in theory it's fine....the only point I'd disagree on or ask a question even is 'How are they discriminating against you?' simply because you haven't had a test invite?
Because most people in my thread who applied in Feb 2022 did interview in Oct-Nov and many are already scheduled for the oath. All paper applicants already finished their oaths lol

NicoHughes

Star Member
Apr 13, 2020

How did IRCC know you moved out of Canada after application? Did you inform them or did they find out preemptively?