Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
2010-01-22
VISA ISSUED...
2010-01-20
LANDED..........
2010-03-05
How do I prove that I'm eligible to apply for an extension of my PR status when the first five years have expired? Will the government log all my coming and going to and from the country and crunch the numbers themselves, or do I have to keep bills and such for the applicable time?

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
You'll have passport pages stamped when you enter and leave Canada -- this should be all you need to show time spent in Canada.

If you spend considerable time abroad, and you are married to a Canadian citizen, you should know that that time counts toward your PR quota. Here are some ideas I received from Leon.

Keep bank records (ATM withdrawals from each of your debit cards on the same day, same place), receipts from credit-card purchases (on both cards, same day, same place, and keep the signed receipts to show signatures). These would be reasonable proofs that you were in Canada, or abroad with your Canadian spouse.

But when abroad, those proofs could be challenged (unreasonably, but challenged nonetheless). So, why not take a photo of yourselves (always assuming you are married to A Canadian citizen) once a month, with a newspaper showing the day's date.

I am looking for less onerous ways, and will report back if a few comemy way.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They will watch your comings by scanning your PR card / passport but not goings. They do however share information with some other border services such as the US.

You have to fill out your log of comings and goings when you apply for a new PR card. Initially you should assume they will take your word for it but do try to keep some documents, bank records showing you were in Canada, phone bills, pay slips etc. in case they don't believe you and ask you to prove it.