Jan 5, 2011
Utah
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey all,

I'm curious as to what types of things you all included as proof of your relationship and how you submitted it. We are keeping the following things as proof - are we miising something or do we need more?

- photos, emails, Skype records (neither of our cell carriers record the # to which texts are sent or recieved)
- ticket stubs, receipts, credit card bills, bank statements
- plane tickets

2 Questions:

1. In regards to the Skype record, my fiance and I are not even married yet and I cut and pasted our skype record for the last 6 months into Word and it is 273 pages! Am I expected to print this off and send it? Can I send it on a CD instead? This included all calls and IMs within Skype since July of 2010 and we still have 9 months before the wedding!!!!!

2. We started off as friends and did not know that it would lead to this wonderful relationship and so have little to no proof of when we met or our contact before things got more serious. Will this be a problem? We met online - not on a dating site - in very random circumstances.

Thank you for your advice, help and answers. I read the posts about even the months it takes to put the application together and my fiance and I figure it's worth getting our ducks in a row so we are ready with the application as soon as we are married. Good luck to all and wishing you all a speedy approval!

-Wolf

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1 - Only printed items, no CD's tapes, DVD's etc

2 - You should both write about it, in detail.

pseudowolf

Star Member
Jan 5, 2011
Utah
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks Baloo! They really expect what will be 1000+ pages of Skype records? Yikes!

Do they really want all of out IMs or can i just print the records that show date, time and duration of call?

And i've read on some threads about relationship essays - is this a good idea and do we just attach it or is there a specific spot I'm missing in the application where it fits?

Thanks!

-Wolf

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can choose what you want to send, it is up to you to convince the Io that your relationship is genuine.

As an example, I am applying outland, but I am living in Canada, since my wife and I met, we have only been apart for about ten weeks.
We do not have much in the way of emails or texts between us, we only really use skype for video calls.
But we do have plenty of pictures of the wedding and our life together, trips, meetings with family, renovating the house.

Each case is different, if someone does not convince the IO that the relationship is genuine, then they will get an interview, if they still fail to convince the IO, no PR.

So, best advice, send as much as you need to, you have to convince the IO.

FWIW I have referenced over twenty specific attachments from the application forms (due to the fact there is not enough space for the answer on the form).
Over 300 images with a full description of, when, who, what the relationship is to myself or my wife.
Copies of all cards, "I love u" notes, receipts for meals, hotels, gifts.
There are three "essays" to describe our relationship (one each) and our first meeting.
Believe me, there is a lot more than I have stated here.

Be aware that others have written more and others less, there is no perfect way.

All I can say is, take it VERY seriously.

Canooknic

Sep 20, 2010
England
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
17th May 2011
I was in the same situation with my fiancé. We were friends for years before we got together, we met at work and eventually got together during the 2006 World Cup (which helped with the date our relationship started! Drunkard England football games have a lot to answer for!! Lol). I wrote an essay and put photos in from when we were friends, when we got together and since we had our babies. It was only about 6 pages, just the main events like holidays, when he moved in with me, how he proposed and our little boy's birthdays etc.
Good luck xxx

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
pseudowolf said:
They really expect what will be 1000+ pages of Skype records? Yikes!

Do they really want all of out IMs or can i just print the records that show date, time and duration of call?
They don't want all of the records. For the IMs, you can print the records that show date, time, and duration. Then choose a selection to show the full content.
For emails, send a screenshot of your inboxes showing all the emails from each other; then print out a selection.
For Skype, print out a selection.

People choose a representative sample of these things from the beginning of their relationship until now. Some print one email a week, for example; others print emails that show them discussing their relationship. Then add a note to the visa officer stating you have just provided a small sampling of your Skype records, emails, and IMs; but that you have more and will show them to the VO if the VO wants to see them.
And i've read on some threads about relationship essays - is this a good idea and do we just attach it or is there a specific spot I'm missing in the application where it fits?
The relationship essays are asked for at the end of these two forms: Sponsor Questionnaire IMM 5540, and Sponsored Spouse/Partner Questionnaire IMM 5490
At the end of each they state:
On a separate sheet of paper, provide any additional details of your current relationship that you believe would help to prove your relationship is genuine and continuing.

This is the relationship essay that people have been talking about.

pseudowolf

Star Member
Jan 5, 2011
Utah
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you so much for all of your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Wolf