+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of relationship...

Eric Parker

Star Member
Jun 26, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My fiance and I (border agents permitting) will be married in May in Alberta. After that she plans to sponsor me to live in Canada.

1. It is official in that my Orginal PR application (Federal Skilled Worker) has been sent back due to not being in the occupation list of 38. Will this have any bearing or effect (in the CIC's eyes) on my Fiance/Wife sposoring me starting in May?

2. I noticed in the forms for her and I regarding Family sponsorship that we need 'proof' of the relationship (as if a marriage certificate is not enough). We call each other every day, and have been (minus the times we visit each other) for over 7 years. We have also visited each other many times and know each others family very well. So, would a document showing all of our phone calls for the last 7 years be sufficient? Or would just the last two years (since I would have to get the information from the phone company). Also, would copies of my plane tickets also be 'proof'? I also have the stamps in my passport (and she has in her Canadian passport) showing the times we went to see each other. How much is enough? or is it the 'luck of the draw' in getting an immigration official who has a 'bad day' and any data will never be enough?

marabsky

Mar 4, 2009
Durban, South Africa
I have always been living with my husband (who I am sponsoring for immigration) overseas but we took the approach on our application that "you can never have too much info". Phone records / plane tickets didn't apply for us, which would assist you immensely I assume, but we included stuff like:
* Wedding photos
* Letters from both our sides of the family + 1 friend commenting on their observances on the circumstances of our meeting, our releationship & our future plans in canada
* A little 1 page story of our meeting, life (9 years together) & plans to get established in Canada. Kind of point form-ish but giving the overview.
It might seem like overkill, but it only costs a bit of time. They approved the visa so it didn't hurt.

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I provided:
* copies of all our emails
* copies of emails to friends where I mentioned my now-husband (when we first met)
* logs of Yahoo Messenger and Skype calls
* long distance phone records
* copies of cards and letters
* copies of boarding passes, passport stamps, hotel receipts
* about 50-60 photos (from when we were dating, our wedding/reception, and honeymoon)
* DVD of our wedding and reception though this was returned to me unviewed I think
* we each wrote our own letter providing additional details of our relationship (about 2-3 pages)

We were approved with no interview. My husband just got his visa last week.

D

darumal

Hi,

I want to ask should I need to show the "content" of those copies of letters and emails? I mean can I make the copy of the envelope that already shown the received / sender's info with postage date chop? Can i have the copy of the email at the inbox which shows the subject, sender and receiver name with the date instead of showing the content?

As my partner and I have been together for 8 years. Sometimes, we didn't write too many at the letters or at the cards, sometimes the content of the letters were very personal that I wonder i should leak it out.

Pls. advise. Thx.

JamesM

Star Member
Feb 4, 2009
Job Offer........
darumal said:
Hi,

I want to ask should I need to show the "content" of those copies of letters and emails? I mean can I make the copy of the envelope that already shown the received / sender's info with postage date chop? Can i have the copy of the email at the inbox which shows the subject, sender and receiver name with the date instead of showing the content?

As my partner and I have been together for 8 years. Sometimes, we didn't write too many at the letters or at the cards, sometimes the content of the letters were very personal that I wonder i should leak it out.

Pls. advise. Thx.

I've been wondering the same thing too.

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I printed the actual content of the emails. I called CIC about this and was told 'yes, we want to see the actual emails'. They said that if there was anything really personal that we didn't want them to read, to block it out with a black marker. So while I was initially kind of appalled by the idea of some stranger reading through our emails and letters, in the end, I felt we were better off losing a bit of privacy than risking being rejected. I printed out virtually every email (save for a few really personal ones) for the past year that we had known each other so there was alot considering we emailed almost everyday. I figured we had nothing to hide and that the tone and content of the emails was plenty of evidence of the genuineness of our relationship. I felt that the actual emails helped to tell the "story" of our relationship. I'm not sure how that would have come across with only dates and subject lines. Anyway, that worked for us because we were approved in 5 months with no interview.

But I think your situation is different given that you've known each other for 8 years. My husband and I had only known each other for just under a year before we got married. I certainly wouldn't think that you need to print out the past 8 years' worth of emails. I'm pretty sure that others here have said that they only printed copies of their inbox so I think that could work in some cases. But I think it also depends on what other type of 'evidence' you have as well. In the end, you'll have to do what you're comfortable with but personally, I would print out at least some of your emails rather than just your inbox contents. Good luck.