+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of Relationship - UNCLE Canadian Citizen

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
My husband's niece put him as a relative here in Canada. She now got an invitation from Immigration Canada and is now being asking for a proof and indicated him as an "INVITER".
What does inviter connotes in here? He is not providing it because he doesn't have any other documents to provide afterwards like
proof of lease/mortgage, utility bills, etc. because it was all under my name (I sponsored my husband to come over here). I asked CIC/IRCC
and they said that if my husband does not want to provide, Immigration then they won't be force him. They are also vague why there is a word inviter
and have to clarify what she really put in her application, which she says FSW express entry. Thanks and hope somebody could answer my questions.
No points provided for express entry, FSW or otherwise, for an uncle/aunt relationship. Points are only provided for siblings.

You cannot sponsor a niece or nephew either, it's only direct family members like your parents or children, and this not under express entry.

Invitations from family members are only useful for visit visas.

I would inform your husband's niece that there is nothing you can do for her in terms of providing documents which will help her PR application.

It seems to me that she is either misunderstanding the requirements, or that she thinks having proof of family connections in Canada will boost her application. In either case, you're under no obligation nor is it of any use for you to provide any of your documents to her.

If she insists IRCC is asking for proof of relationship (which they are not), then tell her to provide you a letter , email or documentation from them where they state this.

Last edited:

CESlol

May 21, 2020
Thanks Islander for the reply,

My husband is just confused of the word INVITER as he even doesn't know in the first place that she put his name in there.
At first her she said her application was as an independent immigrant (alone) and passed according to her scores (age/education/ielts,eca, work exp.),
but when her application was in process, she got married and added her husband in the application, which according to her immigration consultant caused
for her scores to go down so they have to resort to something. Maybe that was the time that they added my husband's info. in there without his knowledge
and we don't know what sort of application she then switched to that now the immigration is asking for her proof that she has an uncle/inviter here in Canada. Following is the letter sent to her by the immigration:

This is in reference to your application for permanent residence in Canada. In order for us to continue the review of your application, we require the following documents: Family Member Proof of Status: A copy of your family member's citizenship or immigration status document (e.g. passport or Permanent Resident Card – please copy both sides).

Proof of Relationship: Document proving your relationship with your inviter/family member. I am unable to determine the relationship between you and your paternal uncle (****) as no documents have been provided to show the relationship link. Please provide the required documents to show your relationship.

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
She should have informed you and your husband first before putting your husband's name in her application.

I understand what you're saying, you're describing a situation whereby under Express Entry, you score different points under different categories based on whether you are married or not. You get less points when you are married, but you can then score more points in accordance with your spouse's level of education, and language test results, and Canadian work experience.

However, there is no part of the Express Entry criteria where you gain points for family members other than for a sibling in Canada. This is where what his niece is requesting makes no sense.

What she might be doing is trying to apply for a provincial nomination, and some provinces can enable you do get one if you have links to the province such as having relatives.

My advice is you should tell her to give an explanation of the steps she's taking for her immigration application, so you can better understand why they are requesting your husband's documentation. If she's using an agent, then tell her to ask the agent what steps they are taking on her behalf, which have led to them requiring your husbands immigration documents.

It's up to you and your husband whether or not you want to provide these documents, you are under no obligation to give them. But at least you should know why she needs them, because as per Express Entry there are no additional points for having an uncle/inviter in Canada. They must be pursuing something different.

CESlol

May 21, 2020
Thanks again for patiently replying to my questions.
At first she was applying for Permanent Resident-Express Entry (with the immigration consultant - she is a Nurse in Middle East), then she mentioned it will be Federal skilled worker in Alberta (we are in BC though) when her score changed after marrying we do not know what she and her immigration consultant did for her to pass and got an invitation for Express Entry now from Canada immigration that she now is being required to provide proof that she has an Inviter/Uncle here.
I will heed your suggestion to ask her what they really applied for so we could be enlightened why immigration really wants my husband's documentation (if he can't provide it).

Thanks!

Reactions: Islander216

robcanada

Jun 13, 2019
Hi, I hope you still get to read this. How did you do about your uncle? Did you go with removing him post-ITA and provided LOE? Thank you.
Hello,

I experienced the same situation when I got my ITA in June last year. I edited my application post ITA and chose not to declare a relative. I attached an LOE explaining that I will have a hard time obtaining proof for it and that removing the declaration will not affect my CRS score. Everything turned out fine, I already received my CoPR.

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
No idea, maybe it has something to do with a provincial nomination program.

But no points are provided for an uncle/aunt in Canada at the federal level only for siblings who PRs or citizens.

Van Duong

Oct 26, 2017
Thank you so much for your reply
-Can you please give me some points on what i should state on LOE in-regards to passport issue?
=Do you mean that i should say Because i am not able to provide any proof of his relationship with me therefore i have removed his name from my relative in the form. And also after doing this my CRS or eligibility is not getting effected under CEC.=

Can you please help me with a rough draft.

You help is much appreciated
Hi montyair, I am also in the same boat with you. Although I received ITA for CEC now and find out that I have submit extra documents needed. I have a Canadian aunt, and report that in the profile before receiving ITA. I don't not get any point for this one but now I have to provide proof of relationship which I couldn't get it. I want to remove my aunt from my profile post-ITA as it do not affect my CRS point, and update APR docuemnt list. The problem is I wonder if it is consider as misrepresentative. I want to ask what is the result of you application when you remove your uncle from your profile. Did it affect you or have you to PR yet? Did IRCC ask you about this when you submit your application? Thanks in advance

Reactions: stacy27

stacy27

May 22, 2021
Thank you so much for your reply
-Can you please give me some points on what i should state on LOE in-regards to passport issue?
=Do you mean that i should say Because i am not able to provide any proof of his relationship with me therefore i have removed his name from my relative in the form. And also after doing this my CRS or eligibility is not getting effected under CEC.=

Can you please help me with a rough draft.

You help is much appreciated
After doing this did everything go smoothly? I am in same situation

stacy27

May 22, 2021
After doing this did everything go smoothly? I am in same situation
[/QUOTE
Hi montyair, I am also in the same boat with you. Although I received ITA for CEC now and find out that I have submit extra documents needed. I have a Canadian aunt, and report that in the profile before receiving ITA. I don't not get any point for this one but now I have to provide proof of relationship which I couldn't get it. I want to remove my aunt from my profile post-ITA as it do not affect my CRS point, and update APR docuemnt list. The problem is I wonder if it is consider as misrepresentative. I want to ask what is the result of you application when you remove your uncle from your profile. Did it affect you or have you to PR yet? Did IRCC ask you about this when you submit your application? Thanks in advance
This turned out ok for you? I am in this position