+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of Relationship issues

kjantz

Jun 15, 2017
Hi!

So my soon to be husband and I are reviewing all of the spousal application requirements and are concerned about some of the requirements for proof of our relationship. We are applying for the inland sponsorship.

We have been together for 3 years and throughout that period have gone back and forth between Iceland (where he's from) and Canada among other trips. We have tons of pictures and family and friends providing letters, however given that neither of us have ever been more than a visitor in each other's countries, we don't have any sort of documentation of us sharing joint ownership of anything or financial support. We have lived together in an apartment in Canada since May and both of our names are own the lease agreement, but aside from that there is nothing else.

Do you have any advice? We will most definitely explain the situation and why it hasn't allowed us to create joint accounts and what not.
I would love to hear what people in a similar situation did to truly prove that they are co-habitual.

Thank you

Reactions: luckyhirang

ScottishPolish

Star Member
Apr 9, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-02-2016
AOR Received.
23-02-2016
File Transfer...
12-03-2016
Med's Done....
01-16-2016
Interview........
15-06-2016
VISA ISSUED...
15-06-2016
LANDED..........
19-06-2016
Hi!

So my soon to be husband and I are reviewing all of the spousal application requirements and are concerned about some of the requirements for proof of our relationship. We are applying for the inland sponsorship.

We have been together for 3 years and throughout that period have gone back and forth between Iceland (where he's from) and Canada among other trips. We have tons of pictures and family and friends providing letters, however given that neither of us have ever been more than a visitor in each other's countries, we don't have any sort of documentation of us sharing joint ownership of anything or financial support. We have lived together in an apartment in Canada since May and both of our names are own the lease agreement, but aside from that there is nothing else.

Do you have any advice? We will most definitely explain the situation and why it hasn't allowed us to create joint accounts and what not.
I would love to hear what people in a similar situation did to truly prove that they are co-habitual.

Thank you
Since your names are both on the lease, and I assume you have tenant insurance, why not add his name to that? And also, its really easy to open a joint account, and just add him to one of your Canadian bank accounts. That's what we did - oh and also added him to my credit card account as well, which sends a card in his name only to his address.

Before becoming a PR, its harder to add your husband to stuff, but this is what we did and it worked for us...to prove that we lived together.

Hope that helps!!

kjantz

Jun 15, 2017
Since your names are both on the lease, and I assume you have tenant insurance, why not add his name to that? And also, its really easy to open a joint account, and just add him to one of your Canadian bank accounts. That's what we did - oh and also added him to my credit card account as well, which sends a card in his name only to his address.

Before becoming a PR, its harder to add your husband to stuff, but this is what we did and it worked for us...to prove that we lived together.

Hope that helps!!
Thank you for the advice! That is helpful.

ludabrown

Apr 11, 2017
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
KINGSTON
App. Filed.......
18-05-2017
AOR Received.
23-06-2017
File Transfer...
06-07-2017
Med's Request
30-06-2017
Med's Done....
07-07-2017
Interview........
06-03-2018
Passport Req..
06-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2018
Hi!

Thank you
If you are working full time you can add him to your benefits

ScottishPolish

Star Member
Apr 9, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-02-2016
AOR Received.
23-02-2016
File Transfer...
12-03-2016
Med's Done....
01-16-2016
Interview........
15-06-2016
VISA ISSUED...
15-06-2016
LANDED..........
19-06-2016
Thank you for the advice! That is helpful.
No worries, just add him to whatever you can, and explain it well in your application in terms of how long you've been together, why there is minimal proof of living together in one place (so far). So give a history of what you've been up to, and then something along the lines of "we have now settled in Canada, are leasing an apartment together and have started joining our lives together..." and attach the proof of the joint account, insurance etc...Just be very clear and very detailed, you will be fine! :) Honesty is the best policy and they appreciate that.

If it makes you feel better, my husband travelled for 10 years, with no job in that time, so trust me overcoming obstacles is possible. And we were lucky enough to go from start to finish in less than 4 months, despite I'm sure what would be seen as many red flags. We had an interview too...:) But we just celebrated his landing as a PR exactly one year ago yesterday.

Our case I'm sure was unique, however we were upfront, honest and explained absolutely everything!!!

kjantz

Jun 15, 2017
No worries, just add him to whatever you can, and explain it well in your application in terms of how long you've been together, why there is minimal proof of living together in one place (so far). So give a history of what you've been up to, and then something along the lines of "we have now settled in Canada, are leasing an apartment together and have started joining our lives together..." and attach the proof of the joint account, insurance etc...Just be very clear and very detailed, you will be fine! :) Honesty is the best policy and they appreciate that.

If it makes you feel better, my husband travelled for 10 years, with no job in that time, so trust me overcoming obstacles is possible. And we were lucky enough to go from start to finish in less than 4 months, despite I'm sure what would be seen as many red flags. We had an interview too...:) But we just celebrated his landing as a PR exactly one year ago yesterday.

Our case I'm sure was unique, however we were upfront, honest and explained absolutely everything!!!
Wow that is awesome! Congratulations to you two, what a crazy journey! Those have been my thoughts as well, just explain everything, be completely honest and hope for the best. :)

Reactions: luckyhirang

ScottishPolish

Star Member
Apr 9, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-02-2016
AOR Received.
23-02-2016
File Transfer...
12-03-2016
Med's Done....
01-16-2016
Interview........
15-06-2016
VISA ISSUED...
15-06-2016
LANDED..........
19-06-2016
Wow that is awesome! Congratulations to you two, what a crazy journey! Those have been my thoughts as well, just explain everything, be completely honest and hope for the best. :)
You'll be fine...have some faith because CIC is used to bs stories - even if what you say isn't what you think they want to hear, they actually prefer to deal with people who are totally upfront and honest. My husband's interview lasted 7 minutes (he timed it because he was freaking out...lol) and they gave him PR on the spot. We had every red flag possible too - so hang in there, it can happen! And with him being from Eastern Europe, being married less than 3 months before applying for spousal, we were successful. Not sure if it was a fluke, but in reality we do believe that being totally honest helped a lot...no, he hasn't worked in 10 years, yes he was divorced and me too, yes, we haven't been married for years...but we chose to be completely upfront and not feed them the bs they are used to hearing.

I think they like the honesty...shows you have nothing to hide and are genuine.

kjantz

Jun 15, 2017
If you are working full time you can add him to your benefits
I am working full time with benefits, however I had assumed that since he does not have a Manitoba health card that he wouldn't be entitled to join. But I may be wrong, I will have to look into that. Thanks for your response :)

ludabrown

Apr 11, 2017
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
KINGSTON
App. Filed.......
18-05-2017
AOR Received.
23-06-2017
File Transfer...
06-07-2017
Med's Request
30-06-2017
Med's Done....
07-07-2017
Interview........
06-03-2018
Passport Req..
06-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2018
I am working full time with benefits, however I had assumed that since he does not have a Manitoba health card that he wouldn't be entitled to join. But I may be wrong, I will have to look into that. Thanks for your response :)
hello im in ontario and I was able to add because benefit is private not covered under health card. my benefit with sunlife so I logged in and add him if you currently have single plan then you have to upgrade to a family plan

Rsquare

Star Member
Apr 12, 2017
Hi!

Thank you
May be someone else had already said this suggestion, but what my wife did is add me as beneficiary to her insurance and we submitted that to CIC. I really think that helped my case (among other things). Good luck :)

japt

Oct 5, 2015
I sponsored my husband this year, and we got a positive decision made in 5 months. We didn't have any joint accounts and didn't even explain why we didn't. We did send screenshots of him sending money to my account as some of the relationship proof.

Disclaimer: This was our own experience.

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
hello im in ontario and I was able to add because benefit is private not covered under health card. my benefit with sunlife so I logged in and add him if you currently have single plan then you have to upgrade to a family plan
Note that the majority of insurance companies require people to first have provincial coverage; employer health plans are generally a top-up on provincial coverage.

You should confirm directly with the insurance underwriters that they will actually cover your spouse without provincial healthcare or you may be on the hook to pay back any claims made.

ludabrown

Apr 11, 2017
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
KINGSTON
App. Filed.......
18-05-2017
AOR Received.
23-06-2017
File Transfer...
06-07-2017
Med's Request
30-06-2017
Med's Done....
07-07-2017
Interview........
06-03-2018
Passport Req..
06-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2018
Note that the majority of insurance companies require people to first have provincial coverage; employer health plans are generally a top-up on provincial coverage.

You should confirm directly with the insurance underwriters that they will actually cover your spouse without provincial healthcare or you may be on the hook to pay back any claims made.
that might be the case however im not concerned about the coverage i add as pr

ScottishPolish

Star Member
Apr 9, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-02-2016
AOR Received.
23-02-2016
File Transfer...
12-03-2016
Med's Done....
01-16-2016
Interview........
15-06-2016
VISA ISSUED...
15-06-2016
LANDED..........
19-06-2016

It depends on the type of insurance you are looking to add your spouse to. If its work benefits that cover prescriptions, dental etc then yes be absolutely sure to double check. With life insurance, that is not through a company, but private, you can add who you want to. This is what we did as well. The very important point that Canuck in UK points out is to make absolutely sure before you add. If its private you could add someone you don't know as a beneficiary on your life insurance. With work benefits, that's a completely different ball game.

CanadianZenGirl

Jan 24, 2017
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
29-12-2016
AOR Received.
17-01-2017
File Transfer...
10-03-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-06-2017
VISA ISSUED...
21-06-2017
LANDED..........
23-06-2017
I sponsored my husband this year, and we got a positive decision made in 5 months. We didn't have any joint accounts and didn't even explain why we didn't.
This was our experience, too. I wrote a 4-page letter detailing the timeline of our relationship, included photos of our wedding and a couple of holidays at relatives' houses, and a bunch of screenshots of anniversary posts and everyday chatty posts from Facebook. I also included a letter from a family member. They seemed fine with that. We've been together for six years and married for three. That probably worked in our favour as well.