+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of Relationship & Family Member Proof of Status - Confused!!!

ee2015

Star Member
Dec 10, 2014
Hi Guys,

So confused about my document requirements - Proof of Relationship and Proof of Family Member Status.
I am applying under CEC, for only myself. but I have one sister who's Canadian, which I answered so in my application.

I understand why they are asking about "Family Member Proof of Status" which I guess is about my sister, so I will attach her passport, bills, and proof that we are under same parents.

but I am confused about the "Proof of Relationship" - I am applying only myself, so I think my birth certificate which lists only myself will suffice? or should I include the document that list my parents as well?
In my application where it asks to list all my immediate family members, I listed my parents and sister. ( and also answered yes to the question asking if I have a relative who's PR or citizen of Canada.)

I am just confused, whether I need to only provide information about myself or also my parents.....
Pls help!

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
ee2015 said:
Hi Guys,

So confused about my document requirements - Proof of Relationship and Proof of Family Member Status.
I am applying under CEC, for only myself. but I have one sister who's Canadian, which I answered so in my application.

I understand why they are asking about "Family Member Proof of Status" which I guess is about my sister, so I will attach her passport, bills, and proof that we are under same parents.

but I am confused about the "Proof of Relationship" - I am applying only myself, so I think my birth certificate which lists only myself will suffice? or should I include the document that list my parents as well?
In my application where it asks to list all my immediate family members, I listed my parents and sister. ( and also answered yes to the question asking if I have a relative who's PR or citizen of Canada.)

I am just confused, whether I need to only provide information about myself or also my parents.....
Pls help!
This placeholder is shown because you have answered Yes to Canadian relatives. In this regard, you will have to submit the following documents.

- A copy of both sides of the family member's Canadian citizenship document, Canadian birth certificate and/or permanent resident card must be provided.
- Evidence that the family member currently resides in Canada must be provided (a residential lease, mortgage documents, utility bills, etc.). The documents should be up to date as of six months prior to submission.
- Proof of the relationship of the applicant or the spouse or common-law partner to the family member must also be provided (e.g., a birth certificate, an official document naming the applicant as a parent, a copy of the inside back cover of the relative’s passport showing the relative’s parents).

ee2015

Star Member
Dec 10, 2014
Stanlee said:
This placeholder is shown because you have answered Yes to Canadian relatives. In this regard, you will have to submit the following documents.

- A copy of both sides of the family member's Canadian citizenship document, Canadian birth certificate and/or permanent resident card must be provided.
- Evidence that the family member currently resides in Canada must be provided (a residential lease, mortgage documents, utility bills, etc.). The documents should be up to date as of six months prior to submission.
- Proof of the relationship of the applicant or the spouse or common-law partner to the family member must also be provided (e.g., a birth certificate, an official document naming the applicant as a parent, a copy of the inside back cover of the relative’s passport showing the relative’s parents).
Hi Stanlee,

Thanks for response.

Yes I read that part and I think the above is for the Family Member Proof of Status which is about my sister.
but how about the "Proof of Relationship"?
Is my birth certificate showing only myself enough?

thepilot

Nov 22, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
VO Mexico
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2011
Med's Request
01-07-2016
Med's Done....
10-07-2016
Passport Req..
21-04-2017
Stanlee said:

Depends on the relationship, if brothers; then you would have to provide proof of your parents.
Basically your birth certificate and your brother's birth certificate.

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
ee2015 said:
Hi Stanlee,

Thanks for response.

Yes I read that part and I think the above is for the Family Member Proof of Status which is about my sister.
but how about the "Proof of Relationship"?
Is my birth certificate showing only myself enough?
Both of your birth certificates or passport showing common parents is required.

ee2015

Star Member
Dec 10, 2014
Stanlee said:
Aha, thank you!

so just to confirm:

for Proof of Relationship - my Birth Certificate & another Certi that shows all my family members incl. Myself, sister and parents

for Family Member Proof of Status - my sister's canadian passport, bills and the certi that we are family

Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!

thepilot

Nov 22, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
VO Mexico
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2011
Med's Request
01-07-2016
Med's Done....
10-07-2016
Passport Req..
21-04-2017
Stanlee said:
Most passports don't show parents though.

SubwaySurfer

Jan 4, 2017
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thepilot said:
Most passports don't show parents though.
Indian passport has parent names, while Canadian doesn't. I am thinking of showing my bro's cancelled Indian passport to prove the relationship. Hope that works!
Does it?

thepilot

Nov 22, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
VO Mexico
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2011
Med's Request
01-07-2016
Med's Done....
10-07-2016
Passport Req..
21-04-2017
SubwaySurfer said:
Indian passport has parent names, while Canadian doesn't. I am thinking of showing my bro's cancelled Indian passport to prove the relationship. Hope that works!
Does it?
I wouldn't risk it and get the two birth certificates, but you can do what rocks your boat.

honeyk3g

Aug 10, 2017
HI Everyone
I got an ITA but facing issue for clamming 15 points for my brother.
- My bother having SURNAME in his passport and I don't have
I can provide birth certificate/ Passport for both in which Parents name is same,
Passport / Birth certificate could work ?

- My brother don't have utility bill or lease contract as he is living with his friends
In absence of utility bill as an alternate Bank statement , mobile bills , Salary slip , Car Insurance renewal documents can be used ?

Thanks in advance