+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of Relationship - Baptism Certificate

lilybell

Star Member
Oct 31, 2017
I am trying to prove my relationship to my uncle ( mother's brother) who is a citizen of Canada. Neither my mother nor my uncle have their birth certificates. Can I use their baptism certificates to prove they are siblings? I plan to use my passport to show my relationship to my mother. Please let me know if anyone has done this and succeeded or if there are any other options.

All of my mother's certificates do not have her parents names on them and her passport has her mother's name spelled wrong so neither of those can be used.

Yemidd

Star Member
Mar 22, 2018
I am trying to prove my relationship to my uncle ( mother's brother) who is a citizen of Canada. Neither my mother nor my uncle have their birth certificates. Can I use their baptism certificates to prove they are siblings? I plan to use my passport to show my relationship to my mother. Please let me know if anyone has done this and succeeded or if there are any other options.

All of my mother's certificates do not have her parents names on them and her passport has her mother's name spelled wrong so neither of those can be used.
Hello lillybell, did you eventually use the baptismal certificates? I am in the same situation
Pls asvice

artificial.nocturne

Jan 25, 2018
Pre-Assessed..
Yes

You can use any document that will show both parent's name for your uncle as well as your mother. If the baptism certificate clearly mentions the parents names for both your mother and your uncle and it is the same, then you can use it. And then as you said you can use your passport to prove your relationship with your mother.

Yemidd

Star Member
Mar 22, 2018
You can use any document that will show both parent's name for your uncle as well as your mother. If the baptism certificate clearly mentions the parents names for both your mother and your uncle and it is the same, then you can use it. And then as you said you can use your passport to prove your relationship with your mother.

Thank you so much, actually my sponsor is my husbands cousin. We have submitted my husbands mothers-in-laws birth attestation from National population comission(Nigeria)
Now we received ADR for sponsors father''s birth/marriage cirtificate. Non is available other than a baptismal certificate.
Before I saw your thread, I have read in other threads that baptismal cert is not recognised, that was why I reached out to you. Thank you very much

Yemidd

Star Member
Mar 22, 2018

Hi once again....Did you go through MPNP?

artificial.nocturne

Jan 25, 2018
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
Hi once again....Did you through MPNP?
No i am going through FSW (direct ITA)...

In regards to your previous post, if you think you will have an issue with the baptism cert being recognized or not by CIC, you can try to get it attested from your country's ministry of foreign affairs or something. While submitting your docs on cic portal you will clearly see in the info section that they require any document that clearly states the same name of the parents, birth certificate is not a must as far as i know, it is just suggested by CIC because that is one document that mostly everyone has and is generally used by people to prove the relationship to family member.

artificial.nocturne

Jan 25, 2018
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
Hi once again....Did you go through MPNP?
Moreover if birth and marriage cert is not available you should explain clearly why it is not available and try to convince or prove to them that your tried to obtain it but failed in order to strengthen your case. Good Luck.

Yemidd

Star Member
Mar 22, 2018
No i am going through FSW (direct ITA)...

In regards to your previous post, if you think you will have an issue with the baptism cert being recognized or not by CIC, you can try to get it attested from your country's ministry of foreign affairs or something. While submitting your docs on cic portal you will clearly see in the info section that they require any document that clearly states the same name of the parents, birth certificate is not a must as far as i know, it is just suggested by CIC because that is one document that mostly everyone has and is generally used by people to prove the relationship to family member.
Thank you so much for your response

Yemidd

Star Member
Mar 22, 2018
Moreover if birth and marriage cert is not available you should explain clearly why it is not available and try to convince or prove to them that your tried to obtain it but failed in order to strengthen your ca6se. Good Luck.
Thank you so much too, I appreciate

lilybell

Star Member
Oct 31, 2017
Hello lillybell, did you eventually use the baptismal certificates? I am in the same situation
Pls asvice
Hi, I used baptism certificates of my mother and her brother and my passport to show my relationship. CIC seemed to be ok with it because I received PPR without an ADR. My mother has travelled a few times in the last 15 years to Canada to visit her brothers, I'm not sure if that has anything to do with their acceptance of the documents I submitted. I wish you all the best.