+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of relationiship - letter

D

darumal

Hi there,

Quick question : Sometimes the letter / card content that I wrote to my partner is not in English, do i need to translate them into eng if i want to use it as the proof of our relationship?

Thanks.

Nike1702

Star Member
Feb 13, 2009
I think it should be fine the way it is and there is no need to translate them. As I sent my wedding cards from my side and my wife and it had writing that was not in English and it was no problem at all.

msgomez

Star Member
Dec 5, 2008
Canada
I had the same question before I submitted my application so I called CIC. They said that anything included in the application that is not in english or french needs to be translated. He argued that there was no way of knowing the content of the letters without the translations.

Makes sense... you could submit any article from a newspaper or page from a book in another native tongue and how are they supposed to understand or decipher what it is?

Lia

Mar 10, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
darumal said:
Hi there,

Quick question : Sometimes the letter / card content that I wrote to my partner is not in English, do i need to translate them into eng if i want to use it as the proof of our relationship?

Thanks.
I didn't translate any of the proofs that were in my native language. But I guess it depends a lot of the Visa Office processing the application. Where mine is being processed (São Paulo - Brazil) they accept in portuguese. Forms, additional pages, letters, cards, police checks, etc.

We did fill our forms in english and also used english for our additional pages (when the spaces in the forms were not sufficient), but the rest was basically in portuguese.

jambaloni

Star Member
Dec 23, 2008
My wife translated the letters from her mother and father. If they don't like it, they can tell us and we'll send them one in tagalog ;-)

hirenkarishma

Mar 17, 2009
MARLENA said:
I have thousands of letters between me and my husband. Can I translate them myself????
I don’t think so... basically they want to know how u communicate with each other and is your relationship is genuine or not... all the official documents u need to translate in English/France, do notarized and send original copy(in your own language) with translated in English/French original copy...

nguyentu2001

Champion Member
Mar 19, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
just translate about 10 letters as samples (I did and got approved first round). You can also write a summary letter explaining the general contents of your letters like family, love, friends....stuff like that and then sign that letter, remember to say in the letter that you translate 10 of your 1000 thousand letters as samples.

Gluck

MARLENA

Mar 24, 2009
I'm referring at emails that we sent to each other.
I have one letter that I sent 4 pages long in English so hopefully it wouldn't create any problem for them by asking why emails was in different language since it's easier for him to communicate in his native language (Lebanese) and much easier for me to communicate in English.
Another question if he was approved in Canada would that be considered the entire application is approved or only step one.
His PR would be approved in the other country where his application is sent. Is that correct????

Lia

Mar 10, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MARLENA said:
Another question if he was approved in Canada would that be considered the entire application is approved or only step one.
His PR would be approved in the other country where his application is sent. Is that correct????
Actually, not necessarily. The portion at CPC-Mississauga will be to check if the sponsor is elligible, if the forms and documents are all included, if there's anything missing, etc. And then send to the Visa Office (since your spouse is lebanese, I assume his office will be Damascus) to do the medical and criminal background checks, if the relationship is genuine... Two very different stages. :)

Some people in this forum had the approval at Mississauga and denied after the case went to the Visa Office.

MARLENA

Mar 24, 2009
He already did his medical exam while he was in Canada and his results already sent by his doctor before his application. BTW I'm sending his application 1, 2009. . Hopefully they won't get confused when they already received his medical result before.
I received his police clearance as well last week.
I have one more question. We had a civil ceremony back in January 30, 2009. I'm still waiting for the marriage certificate which it won't be issued before 10 weeks after it was sent. I only have a record of marriage when the ceremony was performed. Can I send it as a marriage document until we receive the actual marriage certificate. Also there are another wedding ceremony during the summer when I'm visiting. Should I let them know as well.

BeShoo

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2010
Gatineau
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2014
AOR Received.
28-02-2014
File Transfer...
03-03-2014
Med's Request
19-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2015
LANDED..........
13-04-2015
ssg1212 said:
I have one question,

do we need to sign support letter
Many people have sent emails of support with no signatures, but signatures are probably better when you can get them easily.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
darumal said:
Hi there,

Thanks.
Yes, you need to have everything translated into English or French. (The visa offices in Brazil are the only ones I have heard of that accept another language.) Now, if it is a greeting card with a printed verse, the visa officer will probably not care if it is not translated - it is obvious what it is.
Official documents are supposed to be translated by a certified translator and notarized. Informal documents that you are using as proof of your relationship can be translated by yourself or a friend, but you should still include a statement from the translator giving their name, the language translated, and swearing that it is a true translation of the original. The visa officers usually accept this - but it is really only to save money. If you can afford it, a certified translation would be better.
Sign and date any letters or explanations you add to the application. It is not 100% necessary, so if you forget, don't panic, but it is preferable.