+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of Marriage for adding spouse after PPR but before landing

jk37

Aug 31, 2016
Hi guys, I have received my passport post PPR with a single entry visa for Canada with a deadline of 28th March 2018. Post getting the visa, I got engaged and plan to get married this month on 23rd October, 2017. I had emailed CIC stating that my family composition has changed and i wish to update my application and bring my wife along with me as an add-on on my application. I thought that add-on application is smoother, easier and quicker than an independent express entry for my fiance which would have taken almost 8-12 months and so would the sponsorship. We both intend to fly together.
Taking all these things into consideration, i emailed CIC guys stating the change and they have responded saying that i have upload a few basic forms, get her police clearance certificate, medical,etc. alongwith "Evidence of the relationship between you and your spouse, such as:
- Relationship photos (Wedding photographs depicting all the rituals of a traditional wedding, wedding reception and post wedding photographs, commitment ceremony photos from outings together trips, honeymoon, etc. (10–15 photos max)"

Also, there is a questionnaire in which the development of your relationship has to be described. The following questions have been asked:
5. Was there a formal ceremony to recognize/celebrate the marriage? Please provide details such as when, where, who attended, and the religion in which the marriage was performed, if applicable.
6. Provide information regarding your religious beliefs.
7. Was there a reception? If so please provide details such as when, where, and who attended.
8. Did you have a honeymoon (a holiday or trip taken by you and your spouse after the marriage)? Provide details such as when and where.

Now my question is, I am planning to do a court marriage which doesn't have any rituals. Would the photos of the court marriage (me and my wife signing the document in front of a registrar alongwith ring exchange and garland exchange) suffice? I am planning to throw a party to my close friends and family so that can be counted as a reception. But about the wedding im confused.

hamgha

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
IELTS Request
21-01-2017
Med's Done....
25-04-2017
Hi guys, I have received my passport post PPR with a single entry visa for Canada with a deadline of 28th March 2018. Post getting the visa, I got engaged and plan to get married this month on 23rd October, 2017. I had emailed CIC stating that my family composition has changed and i wish to update my application and bring my wife along with me as an add-on on my application. I thought that add-on application is smoother, easier and quicker than an independent express entry for my fiance which would have taken almost 8-12 months and so would the sponsorship. We both intend to fly together.
Taking all these things into consideration, i emailed CIC guys stating the change and they have responded saying that i have upload a few basic forms, get her police clearance certificate, medical,etc. alongwith "Evidence of the relationship between you and your spouse, such as:
- Relationship photos (Wedding photographs depicting all the rituals of a traditional wedding, wedding reception and post wedding photographs, commitment ceremony photos from outings together trips, honeymoon, etc. (10–15 photos max)"

Also, there is a questionnaire in which the development of your relationship has to be described. The following questions have been asked:
5. Was there a formal ceremony to recognize/celebrate the marriage? Please provide details such as when, where, who attended, and the religion in which the marriage was performed, if applicable.
7. Was there a reception? If so please provide details such as when, where, and who attended.
8. Did you have a honeymoon (a holiday or trip taken by you and your spouse after the marriage)? Provide details such as when and where.

Now my question is, I am planning to do a court marriage which doesn't have any rituals. Would the photos of the court marriage (me and my wife signing the document in front of a registrar alongwith ring exchange and garland exchange) suffice? I am planning to throw a party to my close friends and family so that can be counted as a reception. But about the wedding im confused.
the ceremony is the court marriage. if it's common where you come from it's fine. in some countries court marriages are rare for example and in that case they can be seen as suspicious. so let them know who attended etc... you're going to need witnesses for court marriage so mention them as well.
For question 7 it's the reception, the part etc...
The thing is they want to make sure your relationship and wedding are legit and not done so your fiancée can get PR as well (in exchange of a sum of money for example for a marriage)

pxyarala

Feb 12, 2016
Mumbai
NOC Code......
Doc's Request.
12-11-2016
Nomination.....
December 16th 2016 OINP
AOR Received.
22-08-2016

Hi jk37,

I am a March 4 2017 PNP-Outland applicant with a nomination from Ontario. My application is still in processing. I got married on July 29 2017 and I informed IRCC through a CSE on 9 August 2017 about the change in marital status but I haven't got any reply such as the list you mentioned forms, PCCs, medical etc. Can you please share the IRCC email address that you wrote to about your marital status change?. Can I write to CPC Ottawa even if they donot have my file.

Thanks and Regards,
Pavan Kumar Yarala

Nartus

Star Member
Oct 11, 2016

Did you have to fill the IMM5532 form?

michelle22

May 26, 2018

Hey jk37,
Its been so long after your process. I am in a similar situation right now. But, I married traditionally and then received ppr. I have sent email notifying the status change after ppr. How long did cic take to respond to your mail? I would love to know how was your entire process of adding the spouse and hope you will be able to shed some light here. Thanks!!

Reactions: MarufC

MarufC

Sep 10, 2018
Hey jk37,
Its been so long after your process. I am in a similar situation right now. But, I married traditionally and then received ppr. I have sent email notifying the status change after ppr. How long did cic take to respond to your mail? I would love to know how was your entire process of adding the spouse and hope you will be able to shed some light here. Thanks!!

Hi Michelle,

Just wanted to know if you got a reply, I am on the same boat as you. Got married on 10th Jan, got PPR (single) on 27th Jan, informed CIC regarding marriage on 16th Feb but did not receive any reply yet of forms that I will have to update. Please let me know if you got a reply and did you send email or case specific inquiry to inform them about changes.

michelle22

May 26, 2018
Hi Michelle,

Just wanted to know if you got a reply, I am on the same boat as you. Got married on 10th Jan, got PPR (single) on 27th Jan, informed CIC regarding marriage on 16th Feb but did not receive any reply yet of forms that I will have to update. Please let me know if you got a reply and did you send email or case specific inquiry to inform them about changes.
Hey marufC, I dont think informing cic about getting married is going to get their attention. I received ppr (single) on 6th feb. Same night I emailed cic, ndvo, and even raised a weform just to be sure of the status change. (Got married in december and receiving marriage certificate and registration and other address change documents take longer in my place. Hence, the wait. I wanted to have almost all docs as proof of marriage before notifying cic but I guess I could have informed earlier too. They had given me only 7 days to produce all spouse docs after i informed.phew!! Somehow I did). Notified cic, ndvo, raised webform, called ircc 5th feb, received a request letter on 6th feb to produce all spouse docs within 7 days (got only one bar in my account to upload all spouse docs, had compressed the file to 5 MB). Submitted all docs by 13feb. Spouse name showed up in account after 3-4 business days. Medicals passed after 10 days. Processing background check is the status now. Still waiting! Hope I was of help in someway.

MarufC

Sep 10, 2018
Good afternoon @michelle22,

Great to know about your progress, hopefully you get ppr for both of you soon. I still did not receive any email requesting forms, just received a email saying received my request, they will review and contact me in due course on March 12th.