+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of language - Course Certificate (Anna University, India)

canadanomad

Aug 19, 2011
I landed as a dependent and dont have IELTS score.

For the citizenship application (post Oct 11), can i attach the university course certificate (from Anna University, India).

Will it be accepted or should i take the IELTS exam?

FYI, i did go through the website (below), but I am seeking clarification if it applies to international universities (especially Anna University, Chennai, India)

If you have, send a copy of proof that you completed a program with your citizenship application. Proof can be your:

• diploma
  • transcript
  • certificate
Your proof must be:

• from a completed secondary or post-secondary program in English or French
    • a single course done in English or French doesn’t meet the requirement
  • written in English or French

mehul5980

Mar 4, 2014

For the citizenship application (post Oct 11), can i attach the university course certificate (from Anna University, India).

FYI, i did go through the website (below), but I am seeking clarification if it applies to international universities (especially Anna University, Chennai, India)
Yes you may but to be on safe side call CIC tomorrow. They should be able to help you out.
Jai Hind

Language proof if you are 18-64 years of age
Select one of the following types of proof to submit with your application:

1. Results of an accepted third-party test at the equivalent of Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB/NCLC) / Niveaux de compétence linguistique canadiensFootnote1 level 4 or higher in speaking and listening either done previously for immigration purposes (acceptable even if expired) or done specifically for citizenship purposes. Test results from the following list are acceptable:
    • Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program General Test (CELPIP-G) or the CELPIP-General LS (listening and speaking), not the academic version.
    • For tests taken after April 1, 2014, you must have achieved a score of level 4 or higher (up to 12) in listening and speaking.
    • For tests taken before April 1, 2014, you must have achieved a score of 2H or higher (i.e., 3L, 3H, 4L, 4H, 5L, or 5H) in listening and speaking.
    • International English Language Testing System (IELTS), general training, not the academic version You must have achieved a score of:
      • 4.0 or higher in speaking, and
      • 4.5 or higher in listening. (Please note: If the test was done before November 28, 2008, we will accept a level 4 or higher); or
    • Test d’Évaluation de Français (TEF), Test d’Évaluation du Français adapté au Québec (TEFAQ) or TEF pour la naturalisation.
      • After July 1st, 2012, you must have achieved a score of:
        • Niveau B1, B2, C1 or C2 in Compréhension de l’oral and Expression orale.
      • Before July 1st, 2012, you must have achieved a score of:
        • Niveau 3 or higher in Compréhension de l’oral and Expression orale. (Please note: if the Test d’Évaluation de Français (TEF) was taken before July 1st, 2012, a level 3 is required for expression orale only. This applies only to the TEF and not the TEFAQ or TEF pour la naturalisation).
    • The following list of proof will be accepted only if they have been previously submitted for immigration purposes to Quebec (please note that the following tests align with the Échelle Québécoise and not officially with CLB/NCLC 4):
      • DALF (Diplôme approfondi de langue française) – Level C1 or C2; or
      • DELF (Diplôme d’études en langue française) – Level B1 or B2; or
      • TCF (Test de connaissance du français) – Niveau B1 or B2; or
      • TCFQ (Test de connaissance du français pour le Québec) –Niveau B1, B2, C1 or C2.
  2. Proof of completion of a secondary or post-secondary program conducted in French or English, either in Canada or abroad, includes:
    • A diploma or transcripts from a secondary or post-secondary school indicating the successful completion of a program, in French or English, either in Canada or abroad, or
    • A diploma or certificate from a secondary or post-secondary school indicating successful graduation from a program conducted in French or English, either in Canada or abroad.
    Note: You must have successfully finished a secondary or post-secondary program in English or French. A single course done in English or French does not meet the requirement. If the original document is in a language other than English or French then you must also include a letter from the academic institution indicating that the language of instruction was in English or French along with an official translation of the original document.
  3. Proof of achieving Canadian Language Benchmark/Niveaux de compétence linguistique canadiens(CLB/NCLC) level 4 or higher in speaking and listening skills through certain government-funded language training programs includes:

Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada or Cours de Langue pour Immigrants au Canada (LINC or CLIC):
    • When applying, be sure to check the box if you successfully completed the LINC or CLIC course at CLB 4/NCLC 4 or higher from January 1st 2008 to October 31st, 2012 and provide a copy of the certificate if available. If you do not have a copy of your certificate, please check the box and your participation will be validated in our system.
    If you successfully completed the LINC or CLIC course since November 1st, 2012, a certificate will have been provided to you at the time of your successful completion of the course. A copy of this certificate is required as acceptable proof that you meet the language requirements for citizenship purposes.
    • For Manitoba: Manitoba Canadian Language Benchmark Report or Adult English as an Additional Language (EAL) Student Progress Report from Manitoba Government issued between January 1st 2009 and October 31st, 2014. Ensure your report indicates speaking and listening skills are at least at “completing CLB/NCLC level 4C” or higher (5B, 5C, 6B, 6C, etc.).
    • For Quebec: Two options
      1. Bulletins by the Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Diversité et de l’Inclusion du Québec (MIDI) or the Ministère de l’Immigration et Communautés Culturelles (former department name) if:
        • The version was issued between June 1st, 2011 and October 16, 2012. Ensure that your most recent assessment in “interaction orale” is level 4 or higher (Échelle Québécoise); or
        • The version was issued since October 16, 2012. Ensure that your most recent assessment is in “interaction orale” or “compréhension orale” (listening) and “production orale” (speaking) is level 4 or higher (Échelle Québécoise).
        Note: Bulletins with results from online FEL (Francisation en ligne) classes are not acceptable for citizenship purposes, e.g. these usually have a course code B or FEL. Note that bulletins issued by the MIDI or the MICC align with the Échelle Québécoise and not officially with CLB/NCLC 4.
      2. The Ministère de l’Éducation, de l’Enseignement supérieur (MEES) is issuing a Relevé des apprentissages for adults taking French training as per the “francisation à la formation générale des adultes”. The required successful level is 4 or higher of l’échelle québécoise in speaking and listening.
    • For British Columbia (BC):
      • If you received British Columbia’s English Language Services for Adults (ELSA) training in 2008 or 2009, an ELSA certificate confirming language level CLB 4 or higher in listening and speaking. (Please note that certificates were not automatically issued at that time and you may have to contact the ELSA program directly to obtain a copy. IRCC will not make the request for you).
      • If you received British Columbia’s English Language Services for Adults (ELSA) training in 2010 or after, an ELSA report card or an ELSA certificate issued on or before August 31, 2014, confirming language level CLB 4 or higher in listening and speaking will be accepted. (Please note that certificates issued on or after November 1st, 2012 automatically demonstrate a CLB 4 level or higher, even if not specifically stated on the certificate).
        Note: If you attended an English as a second language course that is not sanctioned by the ELSA program, do not submit it. We will only accept courses sanctioned by the ELSA.
    • For Ontario: Ontario Provincial Language Training Certificates dating from December 2013 or later, and issued by providers of the Adult Non-Credit Language Training Program funded by the Ontario Ministry of Citizenship and Immigration and International Trade (MCIIT), formerly known as the Ontario Ministry of Citizenship and Immigration. Ensure your Ontario MCIIT Adult Non-Credit language training program certificate indicates achievement of level CLB/NCLC 4 or higher, in speaking and listening. These certificates must be for:
      • English as a Second Language (ESL)/Anglais Langue Seconde (ALS);
      • French as a Second Language (FSL)/Français Langue Seconde (FLS);
      • Citizenship and Language Training (CL)/Instruction civique et enseignement de la langue (ICEL).
    • For Saskatchewan: Since January 2016, Saskatchewan Ministry of Education provides a Statement of Language Proficiency for students of English as an Additional Language (EAL) based on the Common Framework of Reference (CFR) scale in listening and in speaking:
      • All schools in Saskatchewan from Kindergarten to grade 12 (K-12) have the authority to deliver the certificate for English as an Additional Language;
      • Level B1 is equivalent or higher to CLB 4.

senhari2005

Star Member
Aug 29, 2019

Hi @canadanomad - Can you please shae an update on this thread? Anna university certificate sufficient enough?