+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of language ability

rayman_m

Feb 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
You shouldn't need to but if you have a problem proving that your lectures were in English, it may be easier for you to do CELPIP because that is something immigration can not argue with.
So, still have to send CLEPIP, degree certificate/transcript all together or just send only CELPIP copy? As CIC requirement is either one. Sending both any advantage ?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you have CELPIP, there is no reason to send your degree. No advantage to meet the requirements twice :)

BZ Mom

Mar 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/10/2008
Nomination.....
06/01/2009
AOR Received.
19/08/2009
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Done....
28/12/2009
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
01/03/2010
VISA ISSUED...
20/04/2010
LANDED..........
27/11/2010
We have already submitted our citizenship application in Dec 2013 and CIC started processing our application on Feb 25, 2014. We provided CIC with our transcripts from a university in our home country (Phils.) as proof of language ability. Based on the posts here, it seems that our transcripts may not be acceptable because they do not specifically indicate that the courses are in English.
We are planning to take the CELPIP. Once we get the results, do we submit them to CIC or do we wait till they require additional proof of language ability from us? Will our application be considered non-routine because of this?

Thanks for your advice!!

BZ Mom

torontonian2003

Star Member
Mar 12, 2014
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
BZ Mom said:
We have already submitted our citizenship application in Dec 2013 and CIC started processing our application on Feb 25, 2014. We provided CIC with our transcripts from a university in our home country (Phils.) as proof of language ability. Based on the posts here, it seems that our transcripts may not be acceptable because they do not specifically indicate that the courses are in English.
We are planning to take the CELPIP. Once we get the results, do we submit them to CIC or do we wait till they require additional proof of language ability from us? Will our application be considered non-routine because of this?

Thanks for your advice!!

BZ Mom
If you submitted an English test score when you applied for your PR, CIC will consider it, provided you still have the original. Just bring such test result with you and a photocopy when you get invited for the test and interview.

Note from this CIC guideline for language requirement, that if they already deemed your transcripts inadequate, the application will have been returned without being acknowledged as in process:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/language.asp

This is an excerpt from that link:

"We will try to verify the language proof you send us. We will not process your application and return the entire application to you if your proof is:

Not included with the application;
In a language other than English or French;
Cannot be read;
Cannot be verified; or
Is not on the list of what we will accept."

BZ Mom

Mar 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/10/2008
Nomination.....
06/01/2009
AOR Received.
19/08/2009
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Done....
28/12/2009
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
01/03/2010
VISA ISSUED...
20/04/2010
LANDED..........
27/11/2010
torontonian2003 said:
If you submitted an English test score when you applied for your PR, CIC will consider it, provided you still have the original. Just bring such test result with you and a photocopy when you get invited for the test and interview.

Note from this CIC guideline for language requirement, that if they already deemed your transcripts inadequate, the application will have been returned without being acknowledged as in process:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/language.asp

This is an excerpt from that link:

"We will try to verify the language proof you send us. We will not process your application and return the entire application to you if your proof is:

Not included with the application;
In a language other than English or French;
Cannot be read;
Cannot be verified; or
Is not on the list of what we will accept."
Thanks torontian2003 for your prompt reply. For our PR, I applied under the US Visa Worker category, hence there was no English test requirement. When you mentioned "Note from this CIC guideline for language requirement, that if they already deemed your transcripts inadequate, the application will have been returned without being acknowledged as in process", does this mean that our transcripts are deemed adequate/acceptable since our application is already "in process"?

Best regards :)

torontonian2003

Star Member
Mar 12, 2014
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
BZ Mom said:
Thanks torontian2003 for your prompt reply. For our PR, I applied under the US Visa Worker category, hence there was no English test requirement. When you mentioned "Note from this CIC guideline for language requirement, that if they already deemed your transcripts inadequate, the application will have been returned without being acknowledged as in process", does this mean that our transcripts are deemed adequate/acceptable since our application is already "in process"?

Best regards :)
If you already have a receipt confirmation and can view your status (via the Client Application Status) then chances are they have so far either considered or overlooked the transcript, enough to have proceeded with processing your application. I'd say wait for now till they ask you for any more documents.

https://services3.cic.gc.ca/ecas/ECAS.jsp

You may want to go through this specific operational guidelines used by the Case Processing Centre in Sydney regarding Incomplete Submissions:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2011/ob300b.asp

What the guideline says is that CPC-Sydney would dismiss your application outright without appointing an electronic case file and flatly return your application in which you have the option of resubmitting with the right documents.

While you're waiting, you can do either of 2 things:
(1) Ask the school who issued your transcript for an official certification (with school dry seal, signed by registrar), stating that English is the language of instruction in your school and that you studied/graduated there with the appropriate degrees and dates. Keep this with you in case your transcript is questioned.
(2) Take a CIC-approved English language test (e.g. IELTS General).

If you get to the test/interview stage, you will be informally assessed on your language skills during your actual interview. The way you respond during the oral interview, will obviously give a hint on the quality of communication skills.

Desert Lion

Mar 14, 2014
I agree 100% with Leon, you better take celpip, i graduated from school with English structured courses, and graduated from canada with post secondary education in English and to be on the safe side I took celpip

BZ Mom

Mar 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/10/2008
Nomination.....
06/01/2009
AOR Received.
19/08/2009
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Done....
28/12/2009
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
01/03/2010
VISA ISSUED...
20/04/2010
LANDED..........
27/11/2010
Thanks a lot torontonian 2003 and Desert Lion! Very helpful info!! I have already scheduled for CELPIP to be on the safe side.. :)

rayman_m

Feb 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
BZ Mom said:
Thanks a lot torontonian 2003 and Desert Lion! Very helpful info!! I have already scheduled for CELPIP to be on the safe side.. :)
I took CELPIP in last Saturday in Yonge & Eglinton center. Place is nice and staffs are helpful. Though test suppost to start at 10am, they took all the applicant inside the room and allowed even to start the earlier whoever is ready.

But I can say, CELPIP is not a easy test at all. One must have knowledge in english grammar and able to understand speaker's questions word by word. Giving 100% attention to the speaker's statements is very important as unmindful may create difficulties to answer the questions. Many questions has almost same meaning answer. Time is only 30 min for each session Listening and Speaking which runs fast and have to keep tracking with clock while answering 45 question for listening and 16 for speaking.

Nevertheless, if you answer at least 14 question out of 45 you will get 2H for listening and for listing if you can speak little bit on the topics should get 2H. So, achieving 2H or higher score it all depend on that moment's spot decision on answering the question no matter how good you are in english in real life. CIC will need 2H+2H minimum score to process the application..

goodman36

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CIC website specifically says that if the instruction was in English, then a Diploma / Degree above 12 grade from any University s acceptable.

Yes, to be on the safe side one can take the CELPIP test but the fee is not cheap. And, why if someone meets the requirement will they need to take the test? Shouldn't be this a matter of principle?

rayman_m

Feb 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Today myself and my wife got online CELPIP test result which is within 7 days working days of test. Here is some tips for those who are willing to take CELPIP test:

- As I have bachelor degree from Asian Country and in real life my English is fluent in all level. I got Listening 3H and Speaking 4L. In fact I did not answer about 6 question in listening due to end up with time limit of 30 min . In speaking I spoke to the Microphone on topics like as regular speaking.

- My wife has high school diploma from overseas. She got 4H in Listening as she answered all the questions and 3H in Speaking. In real life her English is not that fluent but quite good.

Summery is, one can achieve 4L/4H score in both if put 100% attention in the test and able to understand speaker's questions (CIC require 2H as minimum score). This test looks easy from outside but when you are in test seat it's like an school exam and have to hold your nerve together within those 60 min to follow computer generated speaker and it's answering options as handful of questions has very similar meaning answers. Also questions are not being repeated and little unmindful listening of questions/topics (even you have PHD in english) can be problematic in answering. So, you are with with computer for 1 hour during the test and you have to satisfy the computer examiner rather than a human examiner.

Good luck to all who will be taking CELPIP soon..

BZ Mom

Mar 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/10/2008
Nomination.....
06/01/2009
AOR Received.
19/08/2009
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Done....
28/12/2009
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
01/03/2010
VISA ISSUED...
20/04/2010
LANDED..........
27/11/2010
Thanks Rayman_M for the tips! Very helpful...