+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of language ability

AlexRox

Star Member
Nov 29, 2013
Hi,
I am planning to apply for Canadian citizenship this December.
I have completed an engineering degree( 4 years ) from a reputed university in my home country in English. However English is not the first(native) language back home.
When I tried to take Linc classes last year,after the test they told me my level is too high for their program and I am not eligible for funding.

My question is if I can still apply with my engineering degree certificate/transcript ? Or the fact that the native language is not English would impact negatively ?

Thanks a lot.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Put yourself in the shoes of the person reviewing your file and ask what you would do without knowing anything about education in Sri Lanka. On paper submitting your university documentation meets the requirements but how do you deal with subjectivity? Get 3rd party tests if time and money are not an issue/ worth it for smoother processing.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Does your degree specifically state that the course material was completed in English?

rayman_m

Feb 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So, is that Higher secondary (12 grade) and University Bachelor Degree in Management from Asian countries such as India/Pakistan/Bangladesh/ Srilanka are not acceptable? Such as: Certificate says: so and so has competed the Higher Secondary level from so and so college and Mark (Transcript) Certificate has the subjects and achieved score/mark and result ( such as achieved 1st/2nd/3rd division).

jujuberanch

Mar 26, 2013
it would be tricky. unless you earned your degree from a school in a country where english/french is the official/de facto official language, i'd just take one of the recommended tests.

AlexRox said:
Hi,
I am planning to apply for Canadian citizenship this December.
I have completed an engineering degree( 4 years ) from a reputed university in my home country in English. However English is not the first(native) language back home.
When I tried to take Linc classes last year,after the test they told me my level is too high for their program and I am not eligible for funding.

My question is if I can still apply with my engineering degree certificate/transcript ? Or the fact that the native language is not English would impact negatively ?

Thanks a lot.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I suggest you take the CELPIP General LS. It was designed for the citizenship requirements in particular, is supposed to be easy and is also the cheapest one you can get, about half the price of IELTS. You can find test locations and dates here: http://www.celpiptest.ca/registration-information/test-dates-and-locations/

rayman_m

Feb 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So any one does not have degree from English speaking countries (such from Asian countries), no matter what degree you have, you still need to do the CELPIP?

I have a bachelor degree in management and my course instructions all was in english (class lecture, books etc). My certificate is also issued in english but the problem is: how I am going to proof that the course instruction language was english? for instance, studying in honers level in subject like: Management, Economics, Finance etc.. taught method always in english.. but how we can make CIC people understand this.. Also going back to that university asking for a letter to confirm that courses were taught in english is not easy..Very confusing..

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
AlexRox said:
@ scylla,
Yes, It does. Also the transcript is based on the international standard.
I'm 99% sure that if it is clear that the official language of the University is English or French (taught in one of those languages), then that is fine. I looked at several interpretations of this rule and even called CIC to confirm this and they said the same thing. If English or French is also the official language of country that the University is in, then all you need is your diploma or transcript. If it is not, then you may need some additional documentation to prove that English/French is the official language of the University (official letter from the school, etc)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rayman_m said:
So any one does not have degree from English speaking countries (such from Asian countries), no matter what degree you have, you still need to do the CELPIP?
You shouldn't need to but if you have a problem proving that your lectures were in English, it may be easier for you to do CELPIP because that is something immigration can not argue with.

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
Msafiri said:
Put yourself in the shoes of the person reviewing your file and ask what you would do without knowing anything about education in Sri Lanka. On paper submitting your university documentation meets the requirements but how do you deal with subjectivity? Get 3rd party tests if time and money are not an issue/ worth it for smoother processing.
THIS.

If your course was really in english, then you should have no problem taking a test to prove your language ability. If you do not want to take a test, you are either not so confident in your language ability or are trying to be cheap.

Time is not an issue because you did not find out this morning that you will need to apply for citizenship.

rayman_m

Feb 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
You shouldn't need to but if you have a problem proving that your lectures were in English, it may be easier for you to do CELPIP because that is something immigration can not argue with.
Yes, that what myself and my wife is eventually going to do get the CELPIP done. I just purchased the online test study courses which is in fact the basics. Taking chances sometime costs much than anticipated. So better to go with CIC people..

@AlexRox.. I think you can seriously think about CELPIP since you have concerns in your mind...

vias

Star Member
Aug 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am a June2013 Applicant .....

I have submitted my Indian Bachelor of Science Degree Certificate & MBA Certificate when i applied for Citizenship.

I got my Acknowledgement with citizenship book. So far no test date.

Do you think they accepted my Indian Degrees or Still there is chance of asking me for another language proof ( Such as those 3rd party English exams ).