+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of language ability for citizenship

Yelsew

Star Member
Apr 24, 2013
London, ON
Hi, I am trying to help a friend apply for citizenship. He meets the residency requirements, but we have a question about language requirements. Back in 2019, he was assessed by a settlement agency to be at CLB 5, and they referred him to LINC. He then proceeded to take level 5-6 in person at a LINC program. He was doing well but unfortunately Covid resulted in all in-person classes to be cancelled in early 2020 so he did not complete the course (I believe it was later offered online, but by then he was working full-time and unable to devote more time to studies). The LINC program recently sent him an "attendance record" showing the number of hours he participated, but I told him this is not the same as a "certificate", and I'm fairly sure that IRCC won't accept it. However, we are both wondering if the fact that since he was enrolled in level 5-6, that clearly suggests he had already met the minimum IRCC requirement of CLB 4. I'm sure he is not the first person to find themselves in this situation, and while I think it is unlikely IRCC will accept this argument, I thought it was worth asking others here on the forum. I told my friend that if he doesn't want to resume LINC/ESL, his only option might be to take a CELPIP or IELTS test. Any thoughts?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I told my friend that if he doesn't want to resume LINC/ESL, his only option might be to take a CELPIP or IELTS test. Any thoughts?
I think he'd potentially waste time applying and taking chances, where he could take the test for not that much money and be done with it. (Obviously if he doesn't pass he'd then have to work at it, but if he was at level four several years ago and has been in Canada since, I'd think he should pass easily)

Reactions: Yelsew and snoopyta

fulton1712

Star Member
Jun 27, 2022
Alberta
Category........
Other
Visa Office......
Edmonton
LANDED..........
08-10-2019
Hi, I am trying to help a friend apply for citizenship. He meets the residency requirements, but we have a question about language requirements. Back in 2019, he was assessed by a settlement agency to be at CLB 5, and they referred him to LINC. He then proceeded to take level 5-6 in person at a LINC program. He was doing well but unfortunately Covid resulted in all in-person classes to be cancelled in early 2020 so he did not complete the course (I believe it was later offered online, but by then he was working full-time and unable to devote more time to studies). The LINC program recently sent him an "attendance record" showing the number of hours he participated, but I told him this is not the same as a "certificate", and I'm fairly sure that IRCC won't accept it. However, we are both wondering if the fact that since he was enrolled in level 5-6, that clearly suggests he had already met the minimum IRCC requirement of CLB 4. I'm sure he is not the first person to find themselves in this situation, and while I think it is unlikely IRCC will accept this argument, I thought it was worth asking others here on the forum. I told my friend that if he doesn't want to resume LINC/ESL, his only option might be to take a CELPIP or IELTS test. Any thoughts?
If he completed the LINC up to level 4 and has the certificate he can use that.