Oct 29, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
10-12-2012
It doesnt matter where you land. Refer to the cic website. It depends on the number of persons landing.

Kind Regards,
Nick

lepetit

Star Member
May 5, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear Captain Qorax!

As I'm totally unfamiliar with all the banking stuff here as well as in Canada, kindly clarify below points regarding POF (truly sorry if some of my questions are silly! I'm a novice).

We (family of 3) are planning for landing next year with total proof of fund about 50k CAD. I'm thinking of 15k in cash and 35k in draft.

1. Are demand draft and bank draft the same thing?

2. As our local bank sets a maximum amount for each draft, I'm going to make 3 separate drafts for each family member (me, my wife and my 4 years-old son). Is that possible? and will the immigration officer at POE accept my son's draft as POF?

3. How should I have my drafts written by our local bank at the column "the beneficiary"? Is it ok as "The Receiver General for Canada" (like the one for RPRF before)?

4. I'm considering making drafts at one of the two following banks here:
- ANZ (its Canadian partner bank is RBC)
- HSBC (its Canadian partner bank is surely HSBC)
ANZ's draft fee is lower than HSBC.
After landing, can I open an a/c at any bank in Canada for depositing the drafts? Or is it better to open a/c at RBC or HSBC (depositing-fee-wise)?

4. About the encashment formality after landing, will the bank in Canada require the SIN? or PR card? And will it accept my son's draft?

Many thanks in advance !!

midoo

Star Member
Sep 20, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
london
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-august-2010
Doc's Request.
`
AOR Received.
28-april-2011
File Transfer...
21-5-2011 /in process:16-11-2011
Med's Request
23-1-2012 -medical sent 2-march-2012
Med's Done....
medical received line added 6-may-2012
Passport Req..
23-05-2012
VISA ISSUED...
5-july-2012
hi qurax ,
i will land after two weeks ,could i take american (USD)dollars instead of canadian dollars and if it is accepted at airport as pof of fund or not ?
thanks

Nick Manickam

Star Member
Oct 29, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
10-12-2012
lepetit said:
Dear Captain Qorax!

As I'm totally unfamiliar with all the banking stuff here as well as in Canada, kindly clarify below points regarding POF (truly sorry if some of my questions are silly! I'm a novice).

We (family of 3) are planning for landing next year with total proof of fund about 50k CAD. I'm thinking of 15k in cash and 35k in draft.

2. As our local bank sets a maximum amount for each draft, I'm going to make 3 separate drafts for each family member (me, my wife and my 4 years-old son). Is that possible? and will the immigration officer at POE accept my son's draft as POF?

3. How should I have my drafts written by our local bank at the column "the beneficiary"? Is it ok as "The Receiver General for Canada" (like the one for RPRF before)?

After landing, can I open an a/c at any bank in Canada for depositing the drafts? Or is it better to open a/c at RBC or HSBC (depositing-fee-wise)?

4. About the encashment formality after landing, will the bank in Canada require the SIN? or PR card? And will it accept my son's draft?

Lepetit,

You seem to be heading the confused/wrong way. Pls wait and take some professional guidance before proceeding. I would not comment much as im not fully aware of your questions. My sugesstion is for you to wait n gather info before acting.

All the best,

Kind Regards,
Nick

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
midoo said:
hi qurax ,
i will land after two weeks ,could i take american (USD)dollars instead of canadian dollars and if it is accepted at airport as pof of fund or not ?
thanks
Yes

lepetit

Star Member
May 5, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
lepetit said:
Dear Captain Qorax!

Anybody pls help me with above questions!
Thanks a lot!!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
lepetit said:
Dear Captain Qorax!

1. Are demand draft and bank draft the same thing? Yes

2. As our local bank sets a maximum amount for each draft, I'm going to make 3 separate drafts for each family member (me, my wife and my 4 years-old son). Is that possible? and will the immigration officer at POE accept my son's draft as POF? Should be okay. Better to talk to Canadian banks whether this arrangement is okay.

3. How should I have my drafts written by our local bank at the column "the beneficiary"? Is it ok as "The Receiver General for Canada" (like the one for RPRF before)? No write your name, you wife's name and your son's name as the beneficiary. You don't to give the money to the Canadian government

After landing, can I open an a/c at any bank in Canada for depositing the drafts? Or is it better to open a/c at RBC or HSBC (depositing-fee-wise)? Yes, you can open a bank account in any Bank in Canada. But why don't you open a Canadian HSBC account via the local branch in your country? This way you can wire the money directly to that account. Once the money is in account, you can just show the Canadian HSBC account statement as POF

4. About the encashment formality after landing, will the bank in Canada require the SIN? or PR card? And will it accept my son's draft? You don't need SIN/PR card to open a bank account in Canada. Ask the bank if they accept your son's draft

nas4udear

Dec 20, 2012
hello there,
i am new to this forum and seek ur professional guidance in few of the queries that i have related to the proof of landing funds.
i am from india and have received visa under FSW and im planning to land in canada by the end of feb 2012.

1.now for POF if i carry CAN$ 3000 as cash and remaining CAN $ 6000 in the form or TC's the total will be CAN$ 9000 and as stated by CIC i need to show CAN$ 11115 the remaining amount out of CAN$ 1115 if i show in an Canadian bank in the form of bank statement preferably RBC will this do and how old the bank statement need to be as i will be opening an online account for the same by the end of this month in RBC. AS WE DONT HAVE ANY DIRECT RBC branch here thats y i need to open the same online. and once i land there the bank account will operative, so will the officers at the port of landing accept the above as PROOF OF FUNDS.

2. now as the amount exceeds the limit of CAN$ 10000 (including cash,TC's and bank statement) do i need to declare this because as the total awailable with me will be only 9000 CAN$(cash 3000 and 6000 as TC's) and the rest will be simply be a statement of the Canadian bank (RBC), then do i need to declare that i have 10000 and above or just only 9000 can dollars, please do clear my confusion.

please treat this issue at the earliest so that i can start opening the online account right from my home country and do a wire transform from here.
your reply is eagerly awaited.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nas4udear said:
i am planning to land by the end of Feb 2013 and not Feb 2012 which i have typed mistakenly i my previous post.
I believe $11,115 - $3000 +$6000 = $2,115

You would be bringing the POF anyways and show it to the officials if necessary, why worry about declaring them also?

lepetit

Star Member
May 5, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
steaky said:
Dear Captain Qorax!

1. Are demand draft and bank draft the same thing? Yes

2. As our local bank sets a maximum amount for each draft, I'm going to make 3 separate drafts for each family member (me, my wife and my 4 years-old son). Is that possible? and will the immigration officer at POE accept my son's draft as POF? Should be okay. Better to talk to Canadian banks whether this arrangement is okay.

3. How should I have my drafts written by our local bank at the column "the beneficiary"? Is it ok as "The Receiver General for Canada" (like the one for RPRF before)? No write your name, you wife's name and your son's name as the beneficiary. You don't to give the money to the Canadian government

After landing, can I open an a/c at any bank in Canada for depositing the drafts? Or is it better to open a/c at RBC or HSBC (depositing-fee-wise)? Yes, you can open a bank account in any Bank in Canada. But why don't you open a Canadian HSBC account via the local branch in your country? This way you can wire the money directly to that account. Once the money is in account, you can just show the Canadian HSBC account statement as POF

4. About the encashment formality after landing, will the bank in Canada require the SIN? or PR card? And will it accept my son's draft? You don't need SIN/PR card to open a bank account in Canada. Ask the bank if they accept your son's draft

Thank you very much for your clarification, Mr Steaky !!

Regarding opening a Canadian account before landing, I was told by the local HSBC here that they cannot arrange that.

One more question, as I found the draft thing rather troublesome, I'm intending to open an CAD account at my local ANZ or HSBC. After landing, i will have my legal representative wired the money to my account in Canada. The problem is whether the immigration officer at POF will accept account balance statement of local big banks like ANZ or HSBC as POF.

Best !!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
lepetit said:
Thank you very much for your clarification, Mr Steaky !!

Regarding opening a Canadian account before landing, I was told by the local HSBC here that they cannot arrange that.

One more question, as I found the draft thing rather troublesome, I'm intending to open an CAD account at my local ANZ or HSBC. After landing, i will have my legal representative wired the money to my account in Canada. The problem is whether the immigration officer at POF will accept account balance statement of local big banks like ANZ or HSBC as POF.

Best !!
Maybe some local HSBC does not arrange that. I know Hong Kong HSBC can make such arrangement.

According to Qorax first post of this thread, generally bank statements from 3rd world countries are not accepted as POF.

BTW, you previously said your local bank sets a maximum amount for each draft, so that you planned to make 3 separate drafts for each family member. Is it daily maximum amount? Say you got the bank draft (with max amount) on Dec 24 and then could you do it again on Dec 27? This way, you can have two bank draft in your own name. If it is yearly, then get one on Dec 24 and the other one on Jan 10? Does that work? Bank draft still is one of your options.

scorpion_ca

May 31, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If the bank statements from 3rd world countries are not accepted as POF, why did the CIC issue visas after reviewing bank statements, which were submitted with applicant's application and later with PNWS? If visa officers weren't satisfied with those 3rd world countries bank statements, I believe they wouldn't issue the visas.

I would like to know the basis of this statement. Thanks!

steaky said:
According to Qorax first post of this thread, generally bank statements from 3rd world countries are not accepted as POF.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scorpion_ca said:
If the bank statements from 3rd world countries are not accepted as POF, why did the CIC issue visas after reviewing bank statements, which were submitted with applicant's application and later with PNWS? If visa officers weren't satisfied with those 3rd world countries bank statements, I believe they wouldn't issue the visas.

I would like to know the basis of this statement. Thanks!
Well, there are lots of cases when applicants landed in Canada turns out that the photos for PR card they submitted before they got visa is not within the specification and people have to resubmit their photos again. So, do you have any explanation for that?

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/pr-card-photo-not-met-standard-t128961.0.html;msg1965734#msg1965734