+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of implied status for health care, SIN, re-entry, etc.

Tom1144

Oct 6, 2016
Hi everyone,

I currently have a PR application under review and my post-graduation work permit expires on Nov. 24. Right now I'm still awaiting the R1 completeness check, and they started the background check a couple weeks ago. I've applied for my BOWP in the meantime.

My understanding is I'll have implied status when my visa expires, regardless of whether the completeness check has gone through by then and the BOWP by association. If I'm wrong about that then someone pleas tell me, but that's my understanding.

Here's my question: When I'm on implied status, how do I go about proving that for various purposes? I'm mainly concerned with making sure my Ontario health care continues (it expires with my visa on Nov. 24), that I can still work at my job (my SIN number will expire on Nov. 24, as I understand), and that I can leave and enter the country if necessary. How do I do this?

Thanks,
Tom

Bigbenbird

Star Member
Jan 26, 2014
I can answer the health insurance bit.....

Im in a similar situation but in Alberta. When I called the Health Card people they told me I had to give them the receipt number for my BOWP application to prove it had been applied for..... then they would grant a 90 day extension

So I would give Ontario health insurance a call

Hope that helps

BBB

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Tom1144 said:
Here's my question: When I'm on implied status, how do I go about proving that for various purposes?

You can't, really. All there is, is the info on "implied status" on the IRCC website, plus proof of your application for the BOWP (and your eligibility for it - proof of valid work permit at time of application; proof of PR application).

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/visa/validity/implied.asp

I'm mainly concerned with making sure my Ontario health care continues (it expires with my visa on Nov. 24), that I can still work at my job (my SIN number will expire on Nov. 24, as I understand),

You will not be able to renew OHIP or the SIN until you receive the BOWP.

- You can continue working - your SIN will remain the same when it is renewed (your SIN will change when you become a PR). Some people have difficulty convincing employers who are unfamiliar with implied status, but it is legal.

- OHIP - more of a problem. You would be covered retroactively, but you would be expected to pay out of pocket for OHIP insured services, and then be reimbursed. Best to avoid it. Alternatively, you could pay for temporary private insurance.

and that I can leave and enter the country if necessary. How do I do this?

You should not leave Canada while on implied status. You can leave, and may be allowed to return as a temporary resident, but you would lose your "implied status" and not be allowed to work on your return; you would then have to wait for the BOWP to be able to resume working.