+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of Identity for Work Permit application

dejablue

Nov 23, 2009
Hi,

I am looking at the document checklist as well as "Applying for Work Permit Outside of Canada" instruction guide. Both sources say the following about the required proof of identity:

A valid passsport or travel document that guarantees re-entry to the country that issued it

My question is: Are they looking for original passport or just the photocopy of identification pages from the passport?

Thanks for your help..

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
dejablue said:
Hi,

I am looking at the document checklist as well as "Applying for Work Permit Outside of Canada" instruction guide. Both sources say the following about the required proof of identity:

A valid passsport or travel document that guarantees re-entry to the country that issued it

My question is: Are they looking for original passport or just the photocopy of identification pages from the passport?

Thanks for your help..
If you are applying for a work visa, CIC needs the original passport to attach the visa to.

imatwkrp

Star Member
Jun 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-21-2012
AOR Received.
05-11-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
06-05-2013
Med's Done....
06-13-2013
Passport Req..
10-03-2013 (copies only; visa-exempt)
LANDED..........
11-09-2013
My experience differs from job_seeker's. I only sent the photocopy of my passport pages. I did NOT include my actual passport, which I needed for both business and leisure travel while they spent six weeks thinking about my application.

Further, I submitted my husband's Open Spousal Work Permit with my application, and included, again, only a photocopy of his passport, not the original.

It never occurred to me that perhaps that's why it took six weeks! But in any case, they issued our Letters of Authorization without a word of rebuke or criticism, so it must have been okay, I suppose.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
imatwkrp said:
My experience differs from job_seeker's. I only sent the photocopy of my passport pages. I did NOT include my actual passport, which I needed for both business and leisure travel while they spent six weeks thinking about my application.

Further, I submitted my husband's Open Spousal Work Permit with my application, and included, again, only a photocopy of his passport, not the original.

It never occurred to me that perhaps that's why it took six weeks! But in any case, they issued our Letters of Authorization without a word of rebuke or criticism, so it must have been okay, I suppose.
If you already have a visa attached to your passport or if you do not need a visa to enter Canada then you need not send the original passport. But if you need a visa you have to send the passport as that is where the Canadian Consulate office will attach the visa, then the WP picked up at a port of entry.