+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of Funds - recently added to my spouse's account

AndyUK

Oct 15, 2022
I'm the main applicant and my wife is added as a dependant to my application. Most of the money we will be using as PoF is in an account in her name. I've been literally just added to this account so I can get current statement printed out with both our names but all past statements are in her name only (our bank will not provide a letter in the format requested by IRCC).

Do I still need to get anything in writing from my wife regarding access to those funds (and of course certified by w notary) or is it not necessary since my name is now on this account, which gives me access to the funds?

catalin1122

Star Member
Aug 22, 2021
Romania
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
I'm the main applicant and my wife is added as a dependant to my application. Most of the money we will be using as PoF is in an account in her name. I've been literally just added to this account so I can get current statement printed out with both our names but all past statements are in her name only (our bank will not provide a letter in the format requested by IRCC).

Do I still need to get anything in writing from my wife regarding access to those funds (and of course certified by w notary) or is it not necessary since my name is now on this account, which gives me access to the funds?
Taken from here:
If your spouse is coming with you, you can count money you have together in a joint account. You may be able to count money in an account under their name only, but you must prove you have access to the money.
So I would definitely have something to prove that I have access to those funds. And if you just added the funds to that account, you should also show the trace of it (like if it comes from your account which is used for your paycheck and so on), cause otherwise they might think you borrowed them.

In my case, we had enough funds in my account, but we wanted to paint the complete picture of our funds so my wife wrote a letter stating that I have access to hers as well.

AndyUK

Oct 15, 2022
Taken from here:

So I would definitely have something to prove that I have access to those funds. And if you just added the funds to that account, you should also show the trace of it (like if it comes from your account which is used for your paycheck and so on), cause otherwise they might think you borrowed them.

In my case, we had enough funds in my account, but we wanted to paint the complete picture of our funds so my wife wrote a letter stating that I have access to hers as well.
Thanks for the reply.

I have access to the funds - we went to the bank and added my name to the account so I have full access and the most recent statement shows it, however all past statements show the account as being only in my wife's name.
So while I have full access to the account, I'm not sure if it won't be an issue that I was only just added to it.
The funds in the account came from the sale of our house (joint mortgage, joint ownership) 18 months ago, so the money was always in the same account. I just forgot that the account is in my wife's name only.

When your wife wrote a letter, did you get sworn affidavit from a notary or was just just a letter from her?

catalin1122

Star Member
Aug 22, 2021
Romania
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
Thanks for the reply.

I have access to the funds - we went to the bank and added my name to the account so I have full access and the most recent statement shows it, however all past statements show the account as being only in my wife's name.
So while I have full access to the account, I'm not sure if it won't be an issue that I was only just added to it.
The funds in the account came from the sale of our house (joint mortgage, joint ownership) 18 months ago, so the money was always in the same account. I just forgot that the account is in my wife's name only.

When your wife wrote a letter, did you get sworn affidavit from a notary or was just just a letter from her?
She wrote it electronically, printed it and dated & signed it by hand, no notary was involved. But we didn't feel the need to involve one since I had enough funds in my account.

You meet the requirements by it being a joint account but I'm not an expert, so maybe @scylla or @Naturgrl know more.

Reactions: AndyUK

AndyUK

Oct 15, 2022
Thank you for your input. I appreciate it's just a personal opinion :)

I'm actually really surprised how vague are the informations regarding completing the application. When I applied for my British citizenship years ago there was like a 70-page long guide detailing every single step.

AndyUK

Oct 15, 2022
Once more question regarding proof of funds - if the full amount has been in the same account for over 6 months, do I need to provide any explanation where the money came from? (in this case it would be the proof of sale of our house)