+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of Funds question

oteekar

Apr 26, 2020
Hello everyone,

First of all, a big thanks to everyone here for helping out people in need. I recently got an invitation to apply for Express Entry. I have finished up gathering all of my documents and will be uploading them soon. I had a question about my Proof of Funds letter -

I live in the US and will be using my Chase accounts for proof of funds. I got an Account Summary letter from Chase with the name of the banker and stamp with the branch's address on it. The balance on there is an average balance of the past 12 months. I know IRCC wants balances from the past 6 months, so after some reading on a forum here, I found out that if we attach 6 months worth of account statements, that usually suffices. This is where I have a small query, in the past month, my savings account balance went up by about $5k because I received some outstanding tax return money and also because my girlfriend and I were planning a trip together to Hawaii and I was about to make reservations, so she transferred me her share of the cost. That entire thing fell apart when lockdowns started happening due to COVID-19. Realizing that the trip wasn't possible anymore, I immediately returned the money to my girlfriend. An important thing to note here is, even without the $5k of increase, my account balance was above the minimum required amount according to IRCC requirements.

I'm now worried if this would become a problem for the IRCC, and I was wondering if it would be a good idea to explain this in a personal letter attached to my application? Is the letter necessary or am I over thinking this? Is there anything else that any one could suggest?

I appreciate all your help and suggestions, and I hope everyone is staying safe and indoors!

Last edited: