+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

proof of funds on landing

jinu22j

Feb 19, 2018
Hi all,
v r planning to land on may 21st( first entry) and then stay for only 2 weeks and come back to qatar.Then go to Canada permanently after one year. v r a family of 3 members.me, spouse and 3 year old son.My question is

1.As per the Canadian regulations we have to bring around 19k CAD as settlement funds. In our case, we are not moving permanently at first entry. So, bringing amount less than 19k is okay?

2. Will the officer ask for proof of the full amount?

3.At the first entry time we are not selling our assets like car ( we dont have a house to sell..lol) So at the second entry we will bring cash from selling our assets. Will this amount taxable? How can we avoid taxes for the amount we earned outside Canada?

jinu22j

Feb 19, 2018
also, if we dont declare the value of assets (which we will sell later), at the time of first entry, and we keep the amount in INdia and not bring to Canada, then is it taxable.? Funds earned and saved outside Canada?

kusrbo

Feb 2, 2017
Hi all,
v r planning to land on may 21st( first entry) and then stay for only 2 weeks and come back to qatar.Then go to Canada permanently after one year. v r a family of 3 members.me, spouse and 3 year old son.My question is

1.As per the Canadian regulations we have to bring around 19k CAD as settlement funds. In our case, we are not moving permanently at first entry. So, bringing amount less than 19k is okay?

3.At the first entry time we are not selling our assets like car ( we dont have a house to sell..lol) So at the second entry we will bring cash from selling our assets. Will this amount taxable? How can we avoid taxes for the amount we earned outside Canada?
I'll try to answer your questions with the information I gained from this forum

1. Hope you are aware that anything more than 10K CAD in cash needs to be declared. If its for the case of proof of funds a bank statement or fund statement proving that you can support yourself and your family would suffice. Don't think it matter if you are moving permanently or not.. but for the first landing you are expected to have all the documents

2. Officer may or may not ask for proof of funds. In my case they didn't ask me to show proof of funds.

3. Not sure on this.

jinu22j

Feb 19, 2018
I'll try to answer your questions with the information I gained from this forum

1. Hope you are aware that anything more than 10K CAD in cash needs to be declared. If its for the case of proof of funds a bank statement or fund statement proving that you can support yourself and your family would suffice. Don't think it matter if you are moving permanently or not.. but for the first landing you are expected to have all the documents

2. Officer may or may not ask for proof of funds. In my case they didn't ask me to show proof of funds.

3. Not sure on this.
we landed safely and officers didnt ask for POF.they just asked about the cash on hand..

_Harry_

Sep 29, 2016
we landed safely and officers didnt ask for POF.they just asked about the cash on hand..
Can you please elaborate which all documents did you bring along?
Did you bring BSF186 or any other documents apart from Passport/CoPR and Cash?

jinu22j

Feb 19, 2018
Can you please elaborate which all documents did you bring along?
Did you bring BSF186 or any other documents apart from Passport/CoPR and Cash?
V took bsf 186 including the items v brought , bsf 186a including items to follow, proof of funds, some canadian dollar(v took 5000 dollar with us and carried POF for the rest of amount)

To elaborate about bsf 186 form, v took photos, average weight and purity and price of jewellery that v had. If u dont take all those jewellery with u now, u can divide it in bsf 186 and bsf 186a. Rest of the items, u can categorise and give average price in CAD.(eg:clothings, laptop with serial number, footwears, kitchen utensils etc)

_Harry_

Sep 29, 2016
V took bsf 186 including the items v brought , bsf 186a including items to follow, proof of funds, some canadian dollar(v took 5000 dollar with us and carried POF for the rest of amount)

To elaborate about bsf 186 form, v took photos, average weight and purity and price of jewellery that v had. If u dont take all those jewellery with u now, u can divide it in bsf 186 and bsf 186a. Rest of the items, u can categorise and give average price in CAD.(eg:clothings, laptop with serial number, footwears, kitchen utensils etc)
If I am bring only clothes and perhaps some packaged eatables and some room furnishing items, do I still need to fill up the BSF186 form?
I will be doing a soft landing and will be carrying clothes for a week or two and perhaps some gifts (clothes/eatables) for my friends there. In that case, do I need to fill up the BSF186 form?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
If I am bring only clothes and perhaps some packaged eatables and some room furnishing items, do I still need to fill up the BSF186 form?
I will be doing a soft landing and will be carrying clothes for a week or two and perhaps some gifts (clothes/eatables) for my friends there. In that case, do I need to fill up the BSF186 form?
Well for sure you should declare all food regardless whether packaged or not and leave it to CBSA to decide if admissable and also check on allowances for gifts

fayfeily

Star Member
Nov 24, 2014
Hi all,

Hi Jinu22j,

Did you find out the answer for your question #3 ? I want to understand this too. Thanks.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
If you are soft landing then no need to fill bsf 186 forms now. Submit them when you permanently move.

jinu22j

Feb 19, 2018
If you are soft landing then no need to fill bsf 186 forms now. Submit them when you permanently move.
To my knowledge, they ask for the list only during first landing. So, if u r moving later, u can prepare a list with items to follow. I did the same during first landing. Just prepared bsf 186 with the items in suitcase, and BSF 186a with items to follow(this was the biggest list as v planned to move later). If u dont prepare these lists also, it is okay. But the idea behind this list is that, u have no limits to bring items wen u come to settle, if u get the list stamped by CBSA officer (if u r bringing valuables like gold, electronics etc).On later landings, u have limits to bring items across the borders.(For example, items equivalent to 800 dollars only allowed for a returning resident). u will be a returning resident upon second landing, no matter how many days u stayed in canda on first landing. This is frm my knowledge..

Reactions: _Harry_

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
To my knowledge, they ask for the list only during first landing. So, if u r moving later, u can prepare a list with items to follow. I did the same during first landing. Just prepared bsf 186 with the items in suitcase, and BSF 186a with items to follow(this was the biggest list as v planned to move later). If u dont prepare these lists also, it is okay. But the idea behind this list is that, u have no limits to bring items wen u come to settle, if u get the list stamped by CBSA officer (if u r bringing valuables like gold, electronics etc).On later landings, u have limits to bring items across the borders.(For example, items equivalent to 800 dollars only allowed for a returning resident). u will be a returning resident upon second landing, no matter how many days u stayed in canda on first landing. This is frm my knowledge..
That's a misconception. You only need to get GTA/GTF stamped at the time of permanent move. You can get these stamped at the time of soft landing but you will end up paying duty on items that you will buy between soft landing and permanent move.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/exporting-importing-vehicle-us-to-canada-only.415713/page-11#post-6843345
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/is-it-really-worth-it.476247/page-12#post-6538499
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/cbsa-things-to-follow.551493/

_Harry_

Sep 29, 2016
Can you please illuminate on this?
My situation is, I will be doing a soft landing but will be bringing baggage for my stay there 5-7 days and baggage of my relatives there. I am carrying some baggage for them as mine won't be more than 8-10 kg max and airlines allow baggage up to 50 kg.

In this case, can you please guide which all things I need to take care of like:
  • Is there any allowed limit of weight of baggage for soft landing?
  • Any explanation needed in case it is soft landing and baggage is 30 kg or more?
  • Any form that I need to fill beforehand or at the airport with respect to the baggage I am carrying?
  • Is BSF186/186a needed in my particular case? If not then will airport officials allow the baggage that I am bringing along of my relatives?
Thank you!

Last edited:

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
CBSA agents won't know if you are carrying your luggage or relatives' luggage. Their is no weight limit for soft landing. Only standard declaration form ( paper or kiosk) needs to be submitted.