+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of Funds for PhD Study Permit Extension

AstronomyNut

Jan 24, 2018
My MASc finished on 31st August 2020 and I'm now enrolled in the first term of my Ph.D. The original offer letter included the name of my advisor and also the amount of funding I was to receive over the course of four years. However, before I began my Ph.D., I ended up changing my supervisor. Changing my supervisor also caused the level of funding to change - I will effectively receive $940 less per year. Despite this, the funding that I will receive still easily covers my tuition and living expenses.

My study permit expires on 30th November, and so I need to apply for an extension. I don't think I can use the original offer letter as proof of funding due to the change in funding and change in supervisor. Instead, what can I provide to show that I am still funded over the course of four years?

The obvious solution is an Enrolment Letter. Unfortunately, my university does not give out an enrolment letter which states the amount of funding I may receive in the future. The letter only mentions the amount of funding that has been given out so far during the course of a programme. In light of this, what can I do to demonstrate that I have funding?

Would appreciate any thoughts.

AstronomyNut

Jan 24, 2018
Just a quick update - my new advisor has agreed to give me a letter. I don't think it would be on an official letterhead but it would have his contact details, signature and it would have my university's logo.

Will such a letter suffice along with the following documents suffice? I intend to include:
  • The original offer letter
  • Enrolment letter
  • Bank Statement
In addition, I'll also attach the program completion letter for my master's along with original transcripts.

Would appreciate any advice or thoughts.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Just a quick update - my new advisor has agreed to give me a letter. I don't think it would be on an official letterhead but it would have his contact details, signature and it would have my university's logo.

Will such a letter suffice along with the following documents suffice? I intend to include:
  • The original offer letter
  • Enrolment letter
  • Bank Statement
In addition, I'll also attach the program completion letter for my master's along with original transcripts.

Would appreciate any advice or thoughts.
Agree that that should be enough.

Reactions: AstronomyNut

AstronomyNut

Jan 24, 2018
That should be good enough. I have applied for an extension on 10th September. I had got a letter from the Academic Graduate Advisor as the funding proof.
Thank you for your reply. Academic Graduate Advisor is your supervisor for your graduate degree or just a general advisor in the department for graduates students? Just trying to draw a comparison with my case.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
You need to show proof of funding for an entire year atleast which includes tuition + one year living costs ($10-15000 for single). If you advisor can sign that letter then it's good.

AstronomyNut

Jan 24, 2018
You need to show proof of funding for an entire year atleast which includes tuition + one year living costs ($10-15000 for single). If you advisor can sign that letter then it's good.
He will be signing a letter that confirms the funding he provides me. The letter states the funding is assured for four years.

However, in addition to the funding from the advisor, the department also pays me. This funding can be confirmed from the original offer letter which I’ll include.

These two streams combined cover tuition and living. The funding is enough that once the tuition is subtracted from it I am left with approximately 15,000 CAD. This is more than sufficient for my living.

Do I need to demonstrate how much my rent and groceries are? Typically that’s included as an estimate I believe.

AstronomyNut

Jan 24, 2018
Hello,

So I was able to ask the right people to include funding information in my Enrollment letter. The letter explicitly states the amount of funding I will get per year (for four years) and also the amount I received as a Master's student. Now my question is:

Do I also include the Offer Letter because this is a new program? I am already enrolled in my first term. My reservation is that the Offer Letter has a difference of $1000 in the amount of funding which may raise questions. The difference is because I changed my advisor.

Would appreciate some thoughts on this.

trampolinegirl

Star Member
Mar 17, 2020
I would include both. My offer letter verified funding for the first four years of my program, and I applied for a new study permit after those four years were up. I included my original offer letter, as well as proof of continuing enrolment, and a letter from my department listing my funding for the 5th year. There was no problem with that.

You may want to preface it with an explanation of the documents, to make it clear why there is a difference in the amount listed.

AstronomyNut

Jan 24, 2018
Thank you. You don't feel changing advisors portrays a negative image?

Also, does an expired TRV have any effect on a study permit extension?

trampolinegirl

Star Member
Mar 17, 2020
Thank you. You don't feel changing advisors portrays a negative image?

Also, does an expired TRV have any effect on a study permit extension?
I don't see why it would. It's relatively common. (Especially since you're in your first term - maybe it would be more awkward if you were 3 years in.)

The only unusual thing about it is that it changes your funding slightly.

(I don't know anything about TRVS.)

trampolinegirl

Star Member
Mar 17, 2020
Thank you. Also, for your initial study permit, did you input all 4 years worth of tuition and living expenses?
I think I might have just put it per annum, since we didn't know the tuition 4 years out. It was a long time ago though, so I can't really remember. The forms can be pretty confusing. Last time I renewed I only needed 2 more terms, so that was easy to figure out.

AstronomyNut

Jan 24, 2018
So... I applied on Friday night / Saturday morning this past week and I got my approval today. That's 4-5 business days. I am not sure how it can be so fast? Could it be in error?

fikricandilek

Oct 16, 2020
Hi all,

I have been accepted to study a PhD in McMaster University. I have a question. The scholarship I receive from the university covers both my tuition and all other expenses.

I applied with only 2500 Canadian dollars at the bank, would it be a problem?

Thanks,