+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of funds 401K - Online statement enough?

blitzz

May 14, 2018
Hi Guys,

My first post here. Can anyone who used 401K funds as the main POF clarify what documents you showed?
I am able to get quarterly statements from my online 401K management portal. Is that enough or should I get someone's signature on them (like my company HR?).

Also, my spouse is listed as my dependent and she will be a part of my application. Can I show liquid cash from her account without any additional affidavit stating that the funds will be used for Canadian immigration purposes?

EE456

Champion Member
Jul 4, 2018
Hi Guys,

My first post here. Can anyone who used 401K funds as the main POF clarify what documents you showed?
I am able to get quarterly statements from my online 401K management portal. Is that enough or should I get someone's signature on them (like my company HR?).

Also, my spouse is listed as my dependent and she will be a part of my application. Can I show liquid cash from her account without any additional affidavit stating that the funds will be used for Canadian immigration purposes?
No need for the affidavit but she would have to write an affidavit stating that you would have access to those funds in her account assuming you can use the 401K and it doesn't contain the minimum amount for 2 persons.

blitzz

May 14, 2018
Thanks for your reply. Did you mean no need of gift deed but need an affidavit?
My 401K does have enough funds, but I wanted to show her account as a supplement.

Also, is there any general format for the affidavit?

EE456

Champion Member
Jul 4, 2018
Thanks for your reply. Did you mean no need of gift deed but need an affidavit?
My 401K does have enough funds, but I wanted to show her account as a supplement.

Also, is there any general format for the affidavit?
No need for a gift deed because you're not being gifted any money. Your partner/spouse is only declaring that you would have access to her funds to settle down in Canada (even though your 401K shows enough). In your situation, you can have all the money put into one account or keep things as they are and just have her write a letter stating you'd have access to the funds in her account even though there's no need as long as the sum of money in both accounts is above the threshold.

No special format, it only has to be formal and in English or French. She would have to state the account number and where the account is held.

Good luck

Reactions: blitzz

blitzz

May 14, 2018
Thanks so much EE456!

One last question is about how do I represent the 401k on as an official statement. For bank accounts, we can take a letter on the banks letter head. But I'm not sure about 401K. I can get quarterly statements for them, but does anyone need to authorize them or sign them? Like my employer?

mgnlky

Champion Member
Jan 22, 2016
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-12-2016
AOR Received.
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
04-11-2016
Passport Req..
22-3-2017
LANDED..........
04-09-2017
Thanks so much EE456!

One last question is about how do I represent the 401k on as an official statement. For bank accounts, we can take a letter on the banks letter head. But I'm not sure about 401K. I can get quarterly statements for them, but does anyone need to authorize them or sign them? Like my employer?
When you log into your 401k, you should see a list of balances--make sure somewhere on the printout the date is printed. Print that out and submit it as proof, along with the last statement issued. No one needs to sign them.

Reactions: blitzz