+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of fund for student visa (How much money should I require?)

Hasan2015

Star Member
Dec 19, 2015
Hi there,

I need help with with the following problem. I would be very thankful if you can answer my query.

I am very confused about amount of money I need to show for proof of fund.

Do I need to show tuition fee and living expense for whole 2 (graduate study) years or one year is sufficient?

aman666

Star Member
Nov 20, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hasan2015 said:
Hi there,

I need help with with the following problem. I would be very thankful if you can answer my query.

I am very confused about amount of money I need to show for proof of fund.

Do I need to show tuition fee and living expense for whole 2 (graduate study) years or one year is sufficient?
The minimum requirement is to show one year's tution fees, living expenses, etc,,, i.e., CD $ 10,000 + tution fees for one year,,,, but more funds mean more chances of getting visa

Rifat Mahmud

Oct 31, 2015
Hi,

I think Aman is right.

As per CIC website info on Proof of Financial Document for Study Visa:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-how-documents.asp#doc3

It says that the VISA office is interested in seeing your first year's living expenditure. Since they are only interested in the first year's living expenditure, it makes sense that they are also interested in seeing the first year's tuition fees.

However, this is the MINIMUM requirement and obviously one should try and show MORE than the absolute minimum to increase chances of VISA.

I would recommend that you show the at least 1-3K CAD more than the minimum for your case: 1000 + Tuition - Scholarship for 1 year. Also, if you show other documents which can show that your parents or sponsors have an income stream which will help you in your second year, that will also help.

I was curious about ZUIF's response - @zuif, are you saying this from experience?

funmilolatemi

Apr 5, 2016
Hello,

A year is what CIC require but showing more than the minimum amount increases your chance However, you must state other means of getting money while in Canada to assure them that you will not be stranded throughout your stay in Canada.

Funmi

zuif

Star Member
Sep 5, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey guys, I might have misrepresented my information,

BY tuition fees and living expenses I mean the income statement of the student's sponsor, which should be enough to cover 2 years length of studies. At the time of applying visa, the document checklist itself - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5483E.pdf says financial proof for 1 year.

Oluwafunmiso

Apr 5, 2016
Hello Funmi,

Can you please send your email addy, i will love to chat with you personally, am in the verge of applying for my MSC, pls i need some more info from you.

Oluwafunmiso.

Rifat Mahmud

Oct 31, 2015
Hi ZUIF & funmilolatemi,

As per IMM5483E from http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5483E.pdf, it says:

"If the duration of your studies in Canada will be more than one year, proof of financial support for the first year of your studies in Canada" is required.

So, that is the MINIMUM one needs to show.