+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of foreign work experience

Cheetah021

Oct 30, 2019
Hi everyone,

I have an issue when it comes to proof of work experience abroad. The thing is, the company I worked at was a quite small art studio. There wasn't any structural payment every 2 weeks although I was paid for my work. The other issue is that the company is not even around anymore. However I am still friends with the guy I used to work with.

I have a portfolio to prove I was working during the period but I don't have any history of transactions or any tax slips because well where I am from you don't pay tax lol.

So now I am wondering, if I help my former boss to draft a letter and he stamp and email it to me, would that work as a proof all along with what is asked on CIC? I am really worried about this because if I cannot get points for one year of foreign work experience, I am pretty much screwed and need to continue working for at least another year in Canada to collect enough points toward EE

Thanks for your replies in advance!

dotslash227

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2019
Hi everyone,

I have an issue when it comes to proof of work experience abroad. The thing is, the company I worked at was a quite small art studio. There wasn't any structural payment every 2 weeks although I was paid for my work. The other issue is that the company is not even around anymore. However I am still friends with the guy I used to work with.

I have a portfolio to prove I was working during the period but I don't have any history of transactions or any tax slips because well where I am from you don't pay tax lol.

So now I am wondering, if I help my former boss to draft a letter and he stamp and email it to me, would that work as a proof all along with what is asked on CIC? I am really worried about this because if I cannot get points for one year of foreign work experience, I am pretty much screwed and need to continue working for at least another year in Canada to collect enough points toward EE

Thanks for your replies in advance!
The letter has to be on an official letter head and should be verifiable.
IRCC does most of the verification of businesses through Google searches, and if the business is not found easily on google, it may impact the processing of your application.

Cheetah021

Oct 30, 2019
The letter has to be on an official letter head and should be verifiable.
IRCC does most of the verification of businesses through Google searches, and if the business is not found easily on google, it may impact the processing of your application.
Hey,

Thanks for the reply.
They might be able to find my supervisor/boss name on the internet and associate it with the projects we have done however the business name itself is not probably what they can get a lot of results from google... Some immigration firm in Toronto told me as long as I provide an official letter signed by this person, everything should work, however I am just trying to get ahead of things and make sure I provide sufficient documents.

dotslash227

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2019
Hey,

Thanks for the reply.
They might be able to find my supervisor/boss name on the internet and associate it with the projects we have done however the business name itself is not probably what they can get a lot of results from google... Some immigration firm in Toronto told me as long as I provide an official letter signed by this person, everything should work, however I am just trying to get ahead of things and make sure I provide sufficient documents.
A letter on the letterhead works most of the time, but you should realize that information is verified most of the times. You should make sure that the information you provide to them should be verifiable, otherwise, it just adds more time to processing time. GCMS notes provided by applicants on this forum and other indicate that IRCC highly depend on information available on google searches and social media profiles.

Reactions: Cheetah021

Cheetah021

Oct 30, 2019
Thanks a lot for your response.
Do you think it is a good idea if I ask my former boss/supervisor to expand his online presence ? Maybe get a website and update his Linkedin? The only thing that I think he uses for business right now is his Instagram page.

yui.nguyen

Nov 3, 2019
Hi Cheetah,

I have the same problem like you as I have worked for a small company that they don't have official office because most of work can be done by email or mobile phone so they stopped renting an office. They also pays my salary in cash and the only documents I could provide is labour contract and salary record that their accountant said she could do it for me. The owner of the company agree to sign my letter of employment as well but I'm still worry about this situation, so please share with me if you have any news about your case.

Many thanks in advance.

nurzohra

Star Member
Jul 11, 2016
Hello Everyone,
I wanted to know what documents should I show to prove my foreign work experience? I have 3 years of foreign work experience but the only document I can provide is an experience letter in the company’s letterhead. I am not able to provide any paystubs or bank statements as it was a small firm and paid cash. Please help!